What's new

Storing unused blades?

Hey guys i'm quite the noob at shaving with a safety razor, although ive been wet shaving for quite a while. After my recent purchase of a Merkur 38C HD long handle I ordered a few variety packs to hone in on a blade that gives me a nice smooth, irritation free shave. Now I have countless new blades laying around and was wondering if anyone had come up with a sleek way to store new loose blades? Any cleaver ideas out there?

Altoids Tin.
Altoids Smalls Tin.

Works for me. Cheap, readily available. I use a smalls tin as a makeshift blade bank as well for spent blades. I cut a slot in the top toward one end. Many do not cut the slot and simply open the tin and deposit the spent blade.

Welcome aboard.

welcome to the badger.................i just toss them in my bathroom's built in wall cabinet's blade dispenser.

Haha, I don't think he means spent blades. Personally (running a cigar store) I have TONS of nice cedar cigar boxes laying around. One of the nicer Drew Estates boxes now holds my shaving overflow. It doesn't have much in it right now, but I have some blades and if I am able to recover my packages ebay misrouted I should have some extra razors & such to add to it. I also have bags of desiccant, my buddy gets it in big bags from work, but you can just cut them open & portion it out into a bit of cheesecloth & just tie it with a bit of string or wire. I have thought about lining it, a buddy of mine made a coffin for his wedding with just some foam, fabric, razor knife & spray adhesive. The tuck & roll he did looked really sharp.

I keep my extra blades in a modified jewelry box. The loose ones, that is. The full packs and sleeves I just keep in a drawer. Now that I'm thinking about it though, I really should find a better, dry place to store the blades.

I think he does mean blades because he said he has countless blades lying around from his variety pack.

There's a cool thread for used blades. For new blades, I keep mine on my dresser sometimes because there are no kids around...

I wasn't as clear as I should have been and as a result the thread tilted toward blade banks.
I use Altoids tins large and small for all blade storage. One small was converted to a blade bank.
The rest make very compact blade storage boxes.
Sorry to inadvertently misdirect the thread.
$IMG_2253[1].jpg

I wasn't as clear as I should have been and as a result the thread tilted toward blade banks.
I use Altoids tins large and small for all blade storage. One small was converted to a blade bank.
View attachment 239192

You use a lot of altoids!

That looks convenient, luckily I don't have many loose ones so all of mine fit in a ziplock sandwich bag just fine.

I want to get a box of 100 but I don't know if I'd take them out of the big box.

i store all my blades in my vintage mugs that i display in my cabinet, when i need one, i just search for the right mug, and bingo bango boingo, bob's your uncle :)

I have a pretty cool, old mens jewelry box that I keep my razors and blades in, the loose ones, I simply leave loose but have nicely stacked, I don't have a ton of them so its not a big deal.

I'm actually out of room in my box now, so I'm on the hunt for another jewelry box. I like the fact that they're vintage like the razors and it looks pretty awesome opening the big drawers and seeing all my gear.

View attachment 239192
Thats a pretty slick idea, might have to give that a try. I move around a lot so I needed something sturdy to store them in. Thanks for the idea!

I keep a couple hundred loose blades in a drawer in the sink cabinet. I keep my "stash" of (way too many blades) on a shelf in my office.

I use a number of different blades at a time. I keep my open (in use) blades on paper blade wrappers on the sink counter marked 1 through 6 for the number of shaves on each blade. After shaving I take the blade out, pat it dry, and move it down a number. That is the only way I can keep track of how many shaves I have on a dozen different open blades.

proxy.php

proxy.php

welcome to the badger.................i just toss them in my bathroom's built in wall cabinet's blade dispenser.

I had to explain what that little slot in her medicine was for to my sister. Her house was built just after WWII and she has the original medicine cabinet. I can just imagine the pile of used razor blades in the stud bay.

Top Bottom