Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing unused blades?

Quote Originally Posted by pipskicks View Post
    Cigar boxes are made to hold moisture, wouldn't that be not what you want??
    Cigar boxes aren't really made to hold moisture. Humidors are. Cigar boxes are just wooden boxes.

- Mark
    He Who Must Be O'Blade

Incidentally, I keep several hundred of my blades in an old humidor. The humidor dried out long ago though, and I have no plans to recharge it. So, it's basically now just an old, dry, wooden box. My blades are just fine in there.

- Mark
    He Who Must Be O'Blade

Images

I don't have that many blades (yet). I currently keep my blade sampler in a cool looking cigar box. However... I like DougieB's Altoid case idea (brilliant). Whenever I decide 2 buy bulk blades I will place them in some Altoid case in my cigar box.

WARHAWK

Quote Originally Posted by LegionPrime View Post
    Haha, I don't think he means spent blades. Personally (running a cigar store) I have TONS of nice cedar cigar boxes laying around. One of the nicer Drew Estates boxes now holds my shaving overflow. It doesn't have much in it right now, but I have some blades and if I am able to recover my packages ebay misrouted I should have some extra razors & such to add to it. I also have bags of desiccant, my buddy gets it in big bags from work, but you can just cut them open & portion it out into a bit of cheesecloth & just tie it with a bit of string or wire. I have thought about lining it, a buddy of mine made a coffin for his wedding with just some foam, fabric, razor knife & spray adhesive. The tuck & roll he did looked really sharp.
    oh, i better stop posting at 3am, maybe its sleepy time for me............
    Steward in the B&B Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In forum - Click here for Hall Of Fame

I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can shave again.

Quote Originally Posted by Threeme2189 View Post
    I just stack them in a plastic tupperware (or similar) container.
    Me too. I don't have loose blades, but I keep the packs in there, with soap/cream samples. That container still smells strongly of Queen Charlotte Lime, long after the original sample is gone.
    Merkur 38C, Simpson Colonel X2L, Truefitt & Hill Grafton, and Israeli Red Personna!

Rawalpindi, Pakistan (with CONUS address)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougieB View Post
    I wasn't as clear as I should have been and as a result the thread tilted toward blade banks.
    OK, I currently don't have a dedicated solution for blade storage. The Feathers and Derbys come in their own box so I just throw them in the cool drawer I use for cream/soap storage. For the rest, I use wide, round chocolate tins. They are about I guess 10 inches in diameter and 4 inches deep. Each currently holds close to a thousand blades since I put the blades still attached to those cardboard things they come with. For the blades in my rotation, I use a shallow plastic chocolates tray with a clear lid, holds about 30 tucks side by side.

Images

I keep mine in an air tight plastic container with raw rice at the bottom, which soak up any possible moisture...ensuring my blades remain good for the years of shaving to come.
    - Nav

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	razor jar.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	239401

I found this jar at a T.J. Maxx Home Goods store for $2.99. With over 100 blades in it [and a couple packs of silica gel to keep things dry] it's only about half full, so it's easy to sift and sort around to find the blade I want. Has a screw top so it closes up nice and snug.

The rest of my blades are in a hall closet far away from bathroom humidity.

FYI - the razor stand is a toothbrush holder from Lowe's.
    Last edited by cubfanbob; 04-28-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Threeme2189 View Post
    I just stack them in a plastic tupperware (or similar) container.
    I have bought a couple of clear plastic pencil boxes. They're cheap, about $3 each, and they hold 150 to 200 blades each.

Rawalpindi, Pakistan (with CONUS address)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nav View Post
    I keep mine in an air tight plastic container with raw rice at the bottom, which soak up any possible moisture...ensuring my blades remain good for the years of shaving to come.
    Does that really help, the rice?