What's new

Open-comb?

Don't guess - try. If you have an old style comb such as a Merkur 1904 the shims make a big difference & if you're adventurous and want to try a comb for the first time look for a vintage Gillette NEW.

Regards
John

yasuo200365 said:
Don't guess - try. If you have an old style comb such as a Merkur 1904 the shims make a big difference & if you're adventurous and want to try a comb for the first time look for a vintage Gillette NEW.

Regards
John
Got it John. Go buy an old new!:w00t:

Just had to chime in here, I'm a straight shaver who uses a Gilette adjustable and a Merkur 1904 open comb sometimes for fun and convenience. The open comb is superb, un-shimmed, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It is the best shave I get from any combination of my 7 razors, period.

FWIW, I have an open-comb Gillette Goodwill razor at home, which also has the blade gap associated with the NEW model Gillette's. I haven't tried shaving with it yet, but at the very least is shows that Gillette modified their open-comb design prior to the NEW model. I'll give it a whirl and post back with my findings.

GoTeeGuy said:
FWIW, I have an open-comb Gillette Goodwill razor at home, which also has the blade gap associated with the NEW model Gillette's. I haven't tried shaving with it yet, but at the very least is shows that Gillette modified their open-comb design prior to the NEW model. I'll give it a whirl and post back with my findings.

I've also got a recently-acquired Goodwill (thanks for the link -- makes it easier to pin down to the early 30s) and there's definitely a blade gap. Not quite brave enough to try using it, though...

I know this is an old thread, but ive been shaving with a very vintage Gillette open comb with absolutely no gap what so ever and a Gillette Tech with a decent gap and i get great bbs shaves from both. I think blade and technique matter most not the razor.

Top Bottom