What's new

Rarely mentioned: The Wilkinson shaving stick.

Got some of this today:
$wilk.JPG

Highly recommended, the Wilkinson is an excellent stick, and makes great lather.
Contains both tallow and lanolin. The scent is pleasant enough too, much nicer than the Palmolive IMO.

Try it! :smile:

I tend to stock up sticks (apart from Arko) when I go the UK to visit home. I've never seen the Wilko sticks available there though, and i'm more than happy to stock up on Palmolive at 49p a stick!

I agree Blix. I just used it yesterday, it's a good soap but unfortunately you don't hear much about it.

Last edited:
Yep a good long lasting stick IMHO. Good lather and I've hand great shaves out of it, but a little expensive here in the UK.

A wonderful stick. Not so good as the Valobra, but it is very, very close. Much cheaper than Valobra, the Wilkie costs ~€2 here in Portugal
One of my favourite shaving sticks, along with Valobra, La Toja, Palmolive and Irisch Moss

Bah, failed at making a good lather picture, you have to trust me on this one Marco, get some! :smile:

Now I have to try the Valobra, I finally discovered that shave sticks works really nice! Hehe

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Bah, failed at making a good lather picture, you have to trust me on this one Marco, get some! :smile:

I certainly do, Amund. La Toja, Valobra and Speick are top quality performers that have a permanent spot in my rotation.

When I got my lot of 2 from Connaught, the price was about the same as Palmolive sticks. Since then the price seems to have gone up at most Web sites that offer it. I prefer bowl lathering, but loading up a brush enough from a Wilkinson stick doesn't work for me.

I have since put together a travel kit, mostly for use at the health club, built around one of these Wilkinson sticks. Face lathering works great with, of all things, an Omega Syntex, a basic one that was my first brush purchase. No bowl required. What seems to help with these shaves is a 30-minute pre-soak in the swimming pool during a workout, followed by a shower, then the shave a few minutes later. A remarkably fine and easy shave under what I thought would be more difficult conditions.

The only other stick I've tried is Arko, and face lathering with that didn't work for me. I kept it cut up in two pieces in an old Body Shop 200 ml tub, and used that to load up a brush for lathering in a bowl.

Last edited:
Top Bottom