What's new

Neglected Barbour jacket needs touch up

Hello BB community. I have an 8 year old Barbour jacket that needs some serious waxing. I've left it in the closet most of the time, other than when I've taken it out in torrential rains, and now it's dry to the touch. Is it beyond repair or can it still be waxed like the day I bought it?

Does Barbour offer a "refresh" service? Many brands such as Barbour offer that service. Worth a shot...

My curiosity answered my own question. There is a video on the Barbour website's front page for North America that details the rewaxing service they offer.
http://www.barbour.com/us

You can repay my research by purchasing me a new Barbour jacket while you're on the website and sending my way :detective:

Wait for a sunny spring day and rewax it your self- do it in several light coats and you will get the same or better results as the service center. A warm day is a great advantage in the process.

Legion

Staff member
I know Driza-Bone sell cans of wax to do it yourself. I'm sure there are other brands. Doesn't seem very difficult.

I would probably throw the jacket in the washing machine first and give it a good clean. Normally they say not to do that, as it removes the wax. But if you are going to rewax it anyway this might be your chance to give it a wash, if it needs one.

If it is very dirty dry brush it and then hose it off- you can turn it inside out and hose out the inside as well and hang to dry but not in the sun.

A washing machine will ruin it.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Re-wax it yourself, done this a few times myself, just apply thin coats and work it in. Follow their instructions.

DO NOT WASH IT IN THE MACHINE!
Barbour state categorically that if you do that then re-apply the wax, it will penetrate to the lining and soil any and all clothing you wear under the jacket until the wax has dried out in a few years.
Barbour has an aftercare service which (seems) second to none. While I've never used it, I have seen professionally patched Barbours from time to time and it adds a touch of kudos to the garment, especially the black ones. They have a price for everything, from re-waxing (is it silkoil, traditional or that other that other type of sticky wax? This might be important, so look it up), to re-applying the inner labels, redoing the velcro, to replacing an arm or patching half a back which has got ripped on barbed wire. Everyone and anyone wears barbour, from Ghillies to that English Queen. They're not cheap, but then, they're not cheap.

I had a colleague years ago that was still living at home, being quite young. He had a lovely Barbour, don't know the model. It was just building up a nice patina when his mother thought it looked a bit grubby and bunged it in the washing machine. Not only was it then not waterproof, it also turned into a children's size!

DON"T MACHINE WASH THEM!

I've never had one myself as I prefer Drizabones. I have reproofed one very successfully and easily with one of the reproofing waxes I bought at a local outdoor store.

After waxing, I left it on a hanger over a radiator for a day or two which seemed to absorb the excess wax that was on it in places.

Gareth

If there are dirt spots that won't wash off with water you can wipe them off with a cloth dampened a bit of methylated spirits on but don't allow the spirit to soak into the fabric too much. Rewax after doing so

Top Bottom