What's new

Can you reccomend a good recipe for refreshing an edge?

Q: What's the simplest way to refresh an edge?

I'm not looking to reset the bevel. This is just a touch-up to bring it back to top shaving form. My goal is quick, easy, effective, and minimal loss of metal. For hardware I've got films down to 0.3, and a CrOx loaded balsa.

I'm sure this has been discussed before. If someone can point me to the appropriate thread, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

With lapping film in hand, go to this thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/283576-Lapping-film-try-it/page2

and look for post #29 by Slash McCoy. Pick it up where he talks about the 5 micron and try that. Don't forget the wet paper part on what ever film you decide to finish with. Hope this helps!

Slash's technique is just about what I do but I find the lapping film lasts much longer than a dozen razors. I did 14 today (my personal record - did two 7 day sets) on some film that had already done a dozen razors. However, the razors were in good shape anyway - just needed to be tuned up. Lapping film seems to last very well. I have two more to do tonight and will use the same film. The razors are also in good shape so I'm not setting a bevel or anything. Probably shouldn't count as my personal record since they are easy to get sharp.

I refresh my own razors on diamond paddles usually. When I travel, I take a small balsa paddle with CrO2 on one side and leather on the other. At home, if I have the lapping film out, I will often take a few from my personal stash and make them split atoms with the film. So... I guess I tune them up in a number of ways. No rocket science to it... just a bit of elbow grease.

Last edited:
I tune up on diamond paddles usually. When I travel, I take a small balsa paddle with CrO2 on it.

For a tune-up, is it necessary to go all the way back to 5 micron?
I once tried to refresh an edge with 50 laps on CrOx basla. It didn't quite work. Perhaps I'll try again with more laps....

The solution is likely somewhere in between, but I've not chased it down yet. Hence my question....

Your films or CrOx would work just fine. As for me, I prefer a couple of quick laps on a stone. I keep a small bout in my bathroom closet for touch-ups or travel.

I refresh edges using reverse progression. If CrOx fails then:

A. 1 micron (paper underneath) 30 laps. If this fails then move to plan B
B. 3 micron 30 laps, 1 micron 30 laps. If this fails I hone the razor.

Last edited:
if it just needs a touch-up about any finishing hone will work. they say the film works well have just got some have not tried it yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom