What's new

Ouch. The personna blue giving me razor burn.

Man, Savage, I appreciate the offer but I'm good. I have plenty of blades as a fall back that give me BBS without this sort of grind. Anhow, it's these
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Personna-Lab-Blue-Double-Edge-Blades-100-per-carton_p_1157.html

I checked the link to west coast shaving. I have seen this offering before. IMHO, these are NOT Personna Lab or Med blades. They may be in a blue package, but Lab and Med blades are much more expensive than the ones offered there. It was the price that made me think there was a confusion between the blades offered and the actual Medical or Lab blades.

I read one post (can't find it right now) that listed the grades of blades that ASR makes.

The cheap ones and generally disliked are Platinum Chrome.

The generally liked ones (Labs and Meds) are Stainless Steel, but the Meds go through an extra cleansing process to make them suitable for hospital use.

I don't know if that's correct, but at least the ones I purchased are stainless.

Maybe I'll just have to order some Med Prep blades from Robbins and see if I can tell the difference.

Ditto.

I bought the same ones that rxonmymind posted (although I got mine on ebay for $13 shipped), and I don't think they're bad, but I also have NO idea what it is I purchased.

I keep calling them Lab Blues to myself, but is that even correct?

Yes, that is correct. THose are what are commonly referred to as the Personna Labs. They're a lot cheaper than the Personna Medical Prep blade.

Yes, that is correct. THose are what are commonly referred to as the Personna Labs. They're a lot cheaper than the Personna Medical Prep blade.

But Sally's Beauty Supply sells "generic" or "barbers" or whatever they're called now? Or are all the other blues Labs?

Aren't they the same but not sterilized?

None of the Personna blades are sterilized. Supposedly, based on what a factory rep told someone on this board a while back, the labs and meds are the same blade but the meds go through an extra process to clean them better or something like that.

None of the Personna blades are sterilized. Supposedly, based on what a factory rep told someone on this board a while back, the labs and meds are the same blade but the meds go through an extra process to clean them better or something like that.

I thought they were close. Thank you. So the shave should be the same, right?

But Sally's Beauty Supply sells "generic" or "barbers" or whatever they're called now? Or are all the other blues Labs?

I haven't seen what SBS sells, but the Personna Barbers come in a white wrapper with just "Made in USA" on the blade

http://razorbladesandmore.com/content/10-barber-personna-double-edge-blades

Here are the "Labs"
http://razorbladesandmore.com/content/10-lab-blue-personna-double-edge-blades

and the Med Prep
http://razorbladesandmore.com/content/10-medical-personna-double-edge-prep-blades

Between the Lab and the Med Prep, you actually have to see the box, or the blade to tell which is which. The wrapper is identical. The Barber has the same unique wrapper type, but it's all white.

FWIW, I have never actually seen a personna package or blade say "Lab" I'm not sure of the origin of that term.

I thought they were close. Thank you. So the shave should be the same, right?

That's subject of some debate. Some say yes, some say no. I've not tried the Meds so I can't say. I have 330 Labs (bought from Ebay) and I'm very satisfied with them. I have a few meds, but have not used them yet.

Im sure the fault is with me gents. I've sang nothing praises for these in the past. I took a day off from these blades I'll give them a go tomorrow. I've also lost a little bit of my mojo as I had a hard time lathering my PSGT. I don't know what's going on but I have to recalibrate myself.

Im sure the fault is with me gents. I've sang nothing praises for these in the past. I took a day off from these blades I'll give them a go tomorrow. I've also lost a little bit of my mojo as I had a hard time lathering my PSGT. I don't know what's going on but I have to recalibrate myself.

So this had been bugging me all day, mainly because they've been great for me, but also because I've been recommending them. Was I wrong? Was the allure of a new blade clouding my judgment?

So I grabbed my current fave setup (Tech head, Tradere handle) which already had a blade loaded in it from a couple of days ago, did my standard prep, and went to work.

Hey, this isn't as smooth and sharp as I remember, and it's making scratchy noises when it was completely silent before. After 2 passes I was nowhere near DFS when I had been before. Took a longer time to touch up, too.

Not a bad shave, but not deserving of the praise I had given it.

Anyway, I figured maybe I just got a bad blade, so I took it out to replace it with a fresh one for tomorrow...

...and there was a Shark in there instead of a Personna.

Vickers I wish that was the case. The only thing I can think that I did was loose count of the number os shaves I had on each of them. Normally I throw them after two uses and maybe these were three times used blades? Anyhow, tonight went well as I used first aid soap Proraso with a Singapore thin blade. I was still a little tender from yesterday but nothing to complain about. Followed up with 444 & Lucido and feels good. I'll take a brake for 36hrs to give my face a chance to heal & rest and then give these blades another go. Fingers crossed.

Hey, that's good news!

I need some way to keep track of how many times I've used a blade, since I (generally) keep two rigs ready for use. Maybe a dot with a Sharpie for each day or something.

Gentlemen! I'm happy to report back to you I have my MOJO back. YES! After taking close to 36hrs off I JUST shaved 30 seconds ago and rec'd bbs. My PSGT was the first good omen as it lathered like I remembered and then reaching for my Ej89 I stopped in mid reach. I instead took the President out, inserted a new blade and WOW!
That President is an awesome shaver. Lucido was mild going on and now I'm off to bbq as my friends are over. Take care gents & thank you for all your input. Taking a little time off helped!

Top Bottom