What's new

Trumper's Skin Food with Sensitive Skin?

From what I've read, it has a gum-like texture to it, and is glycerin-based. Has anyone with skin issues (sensitive skin, acne, ingrown hairs, etc.) tried this, and if so, how did it affect your skin?

Last edited:
I have somewhat sensitive skin, and every time I've tried skin food, I've broken out with acne.

That's interesting, and what I was afraid of. Do other products make you break out with acne, and if so, what are the common ingredients in the products? I tried the Coral Skin Food many years ago and I broke out, but I was also changing my technique, razor, and blade so I never was sure if it was the skin food that caused the acne.

What aftershave do you currently use?

I don't have a especially sensitive skin but I stopped from using it. Somehow it dried out my skin.

Liked the smell but don't think I'll use it again.

I don't have a especially sensitive skin but I stopped from using it. Somehow it dried out my skin.

Liked the smell but don't think I'll use it again.

It's interesting. I've read so many great comments about Skin Food, but every once-in-a-while I hear guys say that it aggravated their skin, made it dry, etc. I wonder how many guys can't use Skin Food. I really want to try the Limes.

That's interesting, and what I was afraid of. Do other products make you break out with acne, and if so, what are the common ingredients in the products? I tried the Coral Skin Food many years ago and I broke out, but I was also changing my technique, razor, and blade so I never was sure if it was the skin food that caused the acne.

What aftershave do you currently use?

I mostly use Alt Innsbruck, occasionally I use Tabac.

So far I haven't had any real issues with acne when using other shaving products, although MdC makes my face feel strange, same with Eucris soap, and to a lesser extent La Toja sticks. I think that my skin just doesn't much like non tallow soaps. If I have to moisturise (which I quite often do) I'll use Redwins sorbolene with tea tree oil (if I'm in serious need of moisturising) or Nivea sensitive balm (the one in the white glass bottle). If I want something scented, the T&H balms don't seem to upset my skin, although I have only used one (Grafton) and only a handful of times.

A couple of balms I know to irritate my skin are Nivea "Anti-irritation" post shave balm "Extreme Comfort" line, in the grey and blue plastic bottle and the new Gillette Intense Cooling Balm. Both make me break out, which is unfortunate, as I kind of like the scent of the Gillette balm.

Mind you, my lists aren't short because of how sensitive my skin is, but because I don't yet own a lot of aftershave products, and when I find something that works I tend to stick with it, only branching out slowly when I get tired of what I'm using.

I mostly use Alt Innsbruck, occasionally I use Tabac.

So far I haven't had any real issues with acne when using other shaving products, although MdC makes my face feel strange, same with Eucris soap, and to a lesser extent La Toja sticks. I think that my skin just doesn't much like non tallow soaps. If I have to moisturise (which I quite often do) I'll use Redwins sorbolene with tea tree oil (if I'm in serious need of moisturising) or Nivea sensitive balm (the one in the white glass bottle). If I want something scented, the T&H balms don't seem to upset my skin, although I have only used one (Grafton) and only a handful of times.

A couple of balms I know to irritate my skin are Nivea "Anti-irritation" post shave balm "Extreme Comfort" line, in the grey and blue plastic bottle and the new Gillette Intense Cooling Balm. Both make me break out, which is unfortunate, as I kind of like the scent of the Gillette balm.

Mind you, my lists aren't short because of how sensitive my skin is, but because I don't yet own a lot of aftershave products, and when I find something that works I tend to stick with it, only branching out slowly when I get tired of what I'm using.

I use and love T&H 1805 aftershave products, and they don't seem to irritate my skin either. I haven't tried many of the products you mentioned, except the Nivea Sensitive Skin Balm which I rather enjoyed.

On a forum, a poster said that GFT Sandlewood Skin Food left his face irritated and dry, but some other posters had different experiences using Coral or Limes. Which Skin Food did you try?

I use and love T&H 1805 aftershave products, and they don't seem to irritate my skin either. I haven't tried many of the products you mentioned, except the Nivea Sensitive Skin Balm which I rather enjoyed.

On a forum, a poster said that GFT Sandlewood Skin Food left his face irritated and dry, but some other posters had different experiences using Coral or Limes. Which Skin Food did you try?

I have all of them. I have had the bad experiences with Limes and Coral. I've noticed that the reactions tend to be worse with the Limes, out of the two (I think..). I haven't really trialed the Sandalwood, since I have a D.R. Harris Sandalwood AS splash, so if I feel sandalwood, I use that with an unscented moisturiser.

here's what i've started doing....

shave, finish with some soap/cream on my face while i clean up. cool rinse, 2-3drops of Limes Skin food applied to my wet face, finish cleaning up and getting ready for the day, then finish with my ASB.

i basically cut out my Witch Hazel step and substituted the GFT skin food for that step (i don't use alum unless i have a cut/nick/weeper), and it's been amazing. it could be that everything is finally coming together now, but it's working and i'll continue to follow this routine until something changes.

here's what i've started doing....

shave, finish with some soap/cream on my face while i clean up. cool rinse, 2-3drops of Limes Skin food applied to my wet face, finish cleaning up and getting ready for the day, then finish with my ASB.

i basically cut out my Witch Hazel step and substituted the GFT skin food for that step (i don't use alum unless i have a cut/nick/weeper), and it's been amazing. it could be that everything is finally coming together now, but it's working and i'll continue to follow this routine until something changes.

That's an interesting thought -- replacing Witch Hazel with GFT Skin Food. After my cold water rinse, I love using Witch Hazel; I feel it helps close my pores, helps prevent ingrowns, and helps control acne. I follow that with a combination of T&H 1805 balm with a few drops of 1805 splash. This combination is soothing, does not sting, and is antiseptic. However, I've heard such great things about GFT Skin Food, that I want to give it a try. Everything I've read and seen about a shave at GFT's doesn't include a toner, witch hazel, or a balm/splash combo, yet customers daily receive irritation and ingrown-free shaves by using their products -- mainly their post-shave product: skin food.

Thank you for sharing your aftershave process. What ASB do you use after the GFT Lime Skin Food? How long does the scent last, and does your ASB conflict with the Limes scent of the skin food?

I love skin food. I have had reactions to some soaps and ash but skin food is my go-to. It always soothes my skin. I have samples of both Limes and Sandalwood and plan to purchase both. Limes is especially nice this time of year as it has menthol... order a sampler direct from GFT. Mine cost me $12.xx and I found a few products I like.

Thank you for sharing your aftershave process. What ASB do you use after the GFT Lime Skin Food? How long does the scent last, and does your ASB conflict with the Limes scent of the skin food?

i use whatever ASB i have on hand, RR wax, handmade soap company, OR whatever. the scent doesn't last lont, i put it on, get dressed, check my email, brush my teeth and then put on the ASB. i find the limes sking food tightens up my skin and the scent does nto last long, so i can use whatever ASB scent i want.

I love skin food. I have had reactions to some soaps and ash but skin food is my go-to. It always soothes my skin. I have samples of both Limes and Sandalwood and plan to purchase both. Limes is especially nice this time of year as it has menthol... order a sampler direct from GFT. Mine cost me $12.xx and I found a few products I like.

I thought about that as well, but I wanted to hear from our B&B community first because I have skin issues, I like to get feedback before I put something on my face (especially after shaving). However, I am going to order a sample after reading the feedback from this thread...I am very curious to try their colognes as well.

i use whatever ASB i have on hand, RR wax, handmade soap company, OR whatever. the scent doesn't last lont, i put it on, get dressed, check my email, brush my teeth and then put on the ASB. i find the limes sking food tightens up my skin and the scent does nto last long, so i can use whatever ASB scent i want.

That's what I read about their Limes cologne as well -- it smells amazing but disappears very fast. The only real benefit I suppose then is how it seals the skin. Are Coral and Sandlewood's scents also so fleeting?

That's what I read about their Limes cologne as well -- it smells amazing but disappears very fast. The only real benefit I suppose then is how it seals the skin. Are Coral and Sandlewood's scents also so fleeting?

i don't (or at least my family doesn't) care for sandalwood. i have a couple samples of the CORAL and it disappears fast as well, but matches nicely with MWF in scent i find.

i only have the 200ml bottle of LIME, but i think most disappear quickly

I thought about that as well, but I wanted to hear from our B&B community first because I have skin issues, I like to get feedback before I put something on my face (especially after shaving). However, I am going to order a sample after reading the feedback from this thread...I am very curious to try their colognes as well.

My opinion is ... there is not much to skin food. Not in healing, or disinfecting, or moisturizing. It's glycerin with a little fragrance - that's it. Maybe one of the safest products out there in that sense. A lot of guys love it. Still, it is a classic must try wet-shaving product.

My opinion is ... there is not much to skin food. Not in healing, or disinfecting, or moisturizing. It's glycerin with a little fragrance - that's it. Maybe one of the safest products out there in that sense. A lot of guys love it. Still, it is a classic must try wet-shaving product.

agreed. i think it's primarily glycerin and a bit of fragrance, but it works for me the way i use it. i tried using it as my only ASB but it left my face a bit tight, so added it into rotation instead of my WH step. then i still get the moisturizing properties from my ASB.

i've also tried it as a "ubber lather" product and used it as a substitute for drops of water, so when i need to add 3-4 drops of water to a soap/cream during my scuttle lather, i'll reach for the Skin Food and it works incredibly well, i guess due to the glycerin content.

i got my bottle of 200ml for about $25-27 shipped from TESC on one of their "free shipping" events, so i have no problem using it as a pre, ubber and post shave product, as at this price it is farily cheap and a little does go a long long way.

Top Bottom