What's new

Exfoliating with Face Scrub Before Shaving

I read recently that men exfoliate every time they shave. As there was some discussion about this topic in a broader beauty and fashion forum, one respondant stated the following:

"You shouldn't exfoliate every day; 2-3 times a week is enough. Your skin needs time to recover. Just be sure you moisturize after you exfoliate so the newly exposed skin won't dry up."
On the other hand, someone responded to the above follows:

"Lots of men shave daily and I've read that shaving *may* be one of the reasons why men's faces typically age better than womens (because of the gentle exfoliation aspect)

It's fine.---don't worry about it at all.

Exfoliating too often via chemical treatments is a whole different thing than a man shaving."

So, assuming the latter has more merit, because no chemicals are involved, it seems that I may be better off skipping the exfoliation process.

Some recommend using the "Face Scrub" to exfoliate *before* shaving. Since I shave almost every morning, I was a little concerned about adding an exfoliation, by face scrub, into the shaving routine, since I naturally exfoliate while shaving.

Other feedback I've received on this topic were:

My significant other exfoliates BEFORE shaving. He's got a heavy beard that sometimes doesn't break through the skin fully by shaving time (he lets it grow for 2-3 days between shaves) so the exfoliating is to make sure all the hairs are through the surface.

I bought him the Clinique for men exfoliant and since then his shave has been much better- the hairs under the skin were kind of like speed bumps before, and he would end up cutting himself a lot instead of shaving the hairs off. Most of these hairs are the ones on his neck area.

and,

It depends on your skin. Some men who get ingrowns find relief if they use a scrub before shaving. If you don't have a problem with ingrowns then you probably don't need to scrub the area, although really, it's probably not a bad idea to do it because it helps remove just enough dead skin and smooth the surface for a smoother shave. I believe it also helps lift up the hair follicles before shaving as well.

Now, I would not sit there and scrub the crap out of your face... just gentle scrubbing for 30 seconds or less should do the trick. Also keep in mind that you should exfoliate the parts of your face that you don't shave, so spend a little more time gently scrubbing those areas.

I recently starting using the Clinique Face Scrub on the neck only while showering followed by shaving at the sink. I started with the neck area as that's different from the face above. This certainly provided a smoother shave on the neck with little-to-no cuts. Therefore, I beleive that exfoliating the problem areas before a shave certainly helps. Lately, I've been lightly using the face scrub on my face as well covering the whole face before shaving.

Questions

I'll get around to posting my unique shaving routine here in the near future, but for now, I wonder what the consensus is here about using a face scrub to exfoliate before shaving?

Also, if this exfoliation works for some, is it over-doing to use face scrub every day, or, every time before shaving?

Adam

This is really something that is going to vary greatly for different skin types. Your best bet will be to experiment and see what seems to work best for you.

The razor blade exfoliates the skin every time you shave. I use Baxters scrub weekly but only on my T-zone.

I've also read numerous times that the reason a mans face ages at a slower rate is due to the exfoliation that occurs with razor shaving. It doesn't apply to those who use an electric.
Guys, that's really not fair :)
Sue

When I visited ME last week the person that I spok with there (sorry, I don't recall the name - come to think of it, I don't think that he told me his name) suggested that I use a scrub prior to shaving (but only on the area that I shave - the other areas, he said, only need a once or twice a week scrubbing) and gave me a sample to try. At first I scoffed from a guy who looked like he had not had a good shave for a few days (or a week) giving me shaving advice... but I decided to give it a try and have found it to be working well for me. To each his own, I suppose.

NMMB said:
When I visited ME last week the person that I spok with there (sorry, I don't recall the name - come to think of it, I don't think that he told me his name) suggested that I use a scrub prior to shaving (but only on the area that I shave - the other areas, he said, only need a once or twice a week scrubbing) and gave me a sample to try. At first I scoffed from a guy who looked like he had not had a good shave for a few days (or a week) giving me shaving advice... but I decided to give it a try and have found it to be working well for me. To each his own, I suppose.
I end up exfoliating about once a week, maybe twice. Since starting to wetshave I have not needed to use a scrub as often.

There are a number of products that aren't as aggressive as a normal scrub, Nickel and the T+H Ultimate Comfort facewash spring to mind, that can be used everyday and do a good job of exfoliating before a shave. I had read on the Art of Shaving website that exfoliating before a shave could lead to irritation, but I have always used a scrub twice a week prior to shaving and it definitely makes for a smoother shave.
I have used the Nickel products myself and can vouch for it as a superior product, actually I don't know why I ever stopped using it. It is available from Mankind.co.uk.
If you are in the market for a new scrub, then I suggest that you avoid Germaine du Cappucini at all costs, it is like dragging babed wire over your face.
Warm regards,
Alex

I used to exfoliate once a week chemical , I have bought Glycolic Acid in 15% ,50% and 70% variations . the stuff BURNS like you were kissed by the Devil himself. I use a special like paintbrush brush to paint it on the face leave it for 20-30 seconds then was plentifull with water and soap. actually your supposed to use baking soda with water to kill the acid burning sensation The first time I used it I didnt wash it off enough next day some burn scars same like you scrape your hand or arm against a wall you end up with some stuff. it completely left after 2 days. the face does look better. this is Chemical peeling you need to be Extreme carefull and you never do this before and SPECIALLY NOT after shaving I tried it once after shaving took the brush and added 1 tiny drop..on my FACE I went :eek: :eek: :eek:

Then you have the face wash stuff which usually has that Sand grain kinda thing in their ingredients. I use it everyday if its meant for like an anti ACNE treathment.. Clear&smooth daily face wash is kinda an exfoliation I never really pay attention if its better to use it before or after shaving interesting thread though !

Age, skin condition (what some call complexion), environment, and so many other variables play to this question that I am sure it will generate a great inconclusive discussion. That is not to say that the discussion is not worthy of holding. I am sure many mini-epiphanies will arise for those participating, but certainly no universal truths.
I have used different exfoliating elixirs (has a certain ring to it?) from time to time only to find that I prefer not to do any exfoliation that may give rise to heightened sensitivity or tenderness immediately prior to shaving. That some find they get better shaves in areas where they have exfoliated before their shave says volumes about prep. I am not quite sure what those volumes mean, but it sounds like additional attention leading to hydration of the whiskers may be in order whether or not sloughing of skin is involved.
Remember, it is only shaving and do what works for you. Good luck.

I have found that with my old, tough beard, I **MUST** use a scrub before each shave in order to properly soften my beard and reduce the bumps on my skin.

I use Neutragena Razor Defense Face Scrub, and I have now -- daily -- for 4 years.

I'm not too good with moderation either...

Thanks for all the feedback. After reading this thread, I'm re-assured the exfoliating with face scrub works well for my skin.

For a short while, I was having some irritation on my neck area and used the facial scrub in the shower before shaving only on the neck area. Now, I find myself lightly exfoliating all over my face, both the shaving and non-shaving areas, without discomfort.

It's likely removing the dead skin cells etc. and providing me with a smoother shave. The bottom line is that I haven't faced any irritation so it's probably fine for me to continue this process nearly every morning.

vontech said:
I use Neutragena Razor Defense Face Scrub
How is this Neutragena product?

I've been using Clinique's Face Scrub. It's been working well for me, so I'm hesitant to change it.

However, the Neutragena product above is much less expensive.

Perhaps I should give it a try.

Have you, or anyone here, compared Face Scrubs?

ShaveLine said:
How is this Neutragena product?

I've been using Clinique's Face Scrub. It's been working well for me, so I'm hesitant to change it.

However, the Neutragena product above is much less expensive.

Perhaps I should give it a try.

Have you, or anyone here, compared Face Scrubs?

I have used both and currently have a tube of the Neutrogena Razor Defense scrub in the shower but only because my wife has not gone to the Clinique counter lately... The Clinique product is superior IMO. The Neutrogena is just OK for use in pinch.

i'm age 38.

prior to making the swich to a DE i used a mach 3 with jack black beard lube. i was still getting a few ingrowns each week but after adding the baxter scrub in the morning, the ingrowns stopped. i suppose at some point i may test not using a scrub at some point but i'm a bit unsure of changing my routine which is working very well for me.

s~s

I've used several facial scrubs in the past and found them all to perform relatively similar. I am currently using a loofah instead with Cetaphil. The textured loofah works particulary well on bumps and ingrown hairs. The Cetaphil is the mildest soap I know of. I do this at night however as I find that washing before shaving strips my skin of oils I would prefer stay between my face and the blade.
Cheers,
Jeff

I use Clinique for Men Face Scrub in the shower, minutes before I shave.

Questions

Should I apply soap on my face before scrubbing?

Or, should I just avoid the soap and simply apply the face scrub on the wet face without soap using plain water only?

If applying soap first is recommended, should this be done with:

a) Apply soap first and then apply the face scrub over and/or mixed in with the soap?

or,

b) Apply soap first, rinse with warm water, and then apply face scrub?

Incidentally, the soap I use is Clinique for Men - Regular Strength.

ShaveLine said:
I use Clinique for Men Face Scrub in the shower, minutes before I shave.

Questions

Should I apply soap on my face before scrubbing?

Or, should I just avoid the soap and simply apply the face scrub on the wet face without soap using plain water only?

If applying soap first is recommended, should this be done with:

a) Apply soap first and then apply the face scrub over and/or mixed in with the soap?

or,

b) Apply soap first, rinse with warm water, and then apply face scrub?

Incidentally, the soap I use is Clinique for Men - Regular Strength.

Most scrubs already have soap in them. Check your label.

Austin said:
Most scrubs already have soap in them. Check your label.
Even if it does contain soap, is it hurtful or helpful to use soap in conjunction with the face scrub?

I'm asking becuase some things I've read claim that soap dries out the face and is not good for shaving. However, I don't think this applies to the Clinique soap I use (regular strength) because it may have moisturizer in it.

Maybe a better way to frame the question:

Are there any adverse impacts or concerns of using soap in conjunction with face scrub, either mixed together or rinsed off?

I suppose I could ask this question at the Clinique counter next time.

I'll sometimes use the Nivea 'Invigorating' scrub mixed with a few pumps of Cetaphil..maybe twice a week. I'm not really sure if it helps the shave itself, since I scrub at night and shave in the morning. Also, I don't typically have a problem with ingrowns (very straight facial hair). I would simply say YMMV. I like the feeling of the scrub, and when mixed with the Cetaphil, it doesn't dry out my face that bad.

Joe

Top Bottom