What's new

When is a barber shop no longer a barber shop?

The further out into the rural areas, the more likely to find a real barber shop. I especially like those tiny shops that look just big enough to turn around in, by the road side in some "one horse town."

So some quick searching of the inter webs revealed Rook's Barber Shop here in Portland... sorry no pics... but they have a cool web site with the bio's of the barbers and a long history of the Barber... Also their site says the Master Barber/Proprieter, Justin King is the men's grooming advisor to the HBO series Boardwalk Empire. One of the pics on the site apears to be a customer getting a straight razor shave....

http://www.rooksbarbershop.com/

Also in PDX / Beaverton Cedar Hills area is Bad Cahill's Barber Shop where this guy, Curt Cahill, is the lone barber / proprieter... Looks to be pretty traditional...

proxy.php

The Modern Man is another Portland, OR traditional barber shop. Haven't tried it personally, but a friend whose judgement I value praises it.

Any place where you're greeted with a quality adult beverage and sent off with a cigar, both complimentary, is certainly worth a visit.

Last edited:
Ha, I just checked out a Turkish barber video. Wow, the face massage - and the ear-hair flaming. Far out!

We've got a guy in town here - closest thing nearby, I'd imagine, to a "real" barbershop that I've seen. It's "Unisex" but I've only seen a woman in there once. I'm not sure where the proprietor is from (gonna go out on a limb and say "Middle East"), and the last time I was there, he was chatting to another patron (friend, family?) about how their old barbershop was so much more relaxed - have a drink, smoke a cigar - than the ones today. "Too many rules!", he said to me.

I could do without the second hand cigar smoke (no offence to the cigar lovers here), but it sure sounds like they used to be a whole lot more laid back than today.

My Barber gave me my first hair cut, gave my son his first haircut, cut the hair of my father and grandfather. Has a chair from the late 1800s, keeps his hair brushes in some blue stuff, uses clubman, gave me a straight edge shave the day of my wedding, and cuts the hair of all the italian men in town.

Edit to add, always shaves the back of the neck and uses a straight razor to cut some hair (never figured out why).

Last edited:
Top Bottom