Thread: DE Beginners Kit

1. Default DE Beginners Kit

My friend is trying to get into safety razors and is looking to purchase a nice beginners kit. I would hook him up but SWAMBO had me cull the collection and I'm down to just the essentials. Would like to a get a nice razor or two, a selection of blades, brush, soaps/creams and any other accessories.

Budget is anywhere from $50-100 depending on the kit.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by idleivey View Post
    My friend is trying to get into safety razors and is looking to purchase a nice beginners kit. I would hook him up but SWAMBO had me cull the collection and I'm down to just the essentials. Would like to a get a nice razor or two, a selection of blades, brush, soaps/creams and any other accessories.

Budget is anywhere from $50-100 depending on the kit.

Thanks!
    Was just thinking about this subject this morning. I'm about three weeks in and have spend around $350 or so on hardware and software. After all of that, I think a wonderful starter kit would consist of a basic Gillette Tech (fat or ball handle) which can be picked up for under $10, a puck of VDH soap for anywhere from $1.50 to $6 depending on which one you select, this little horse hair brush (which I love) from Turkey that can be had for $2.50 plus shipping, Target's witch hazel for $1 and change, a container of Nivea Sensitive Skin Balm (for $6 or less, depending on sales) and a mug or bowl from his cabinet.

If you want a Gillette Tech and are willing to pay shipping on it, PM me and I will give you one and a pack of blades.
    Dave

I would check out jochums kit a couple of posts below. It's a nice starter. If I could do it all over again, I'd probably start with a Edwin Jagger DE89. And keep everything else cheap, such as what Parallax is suggesting.

5. Thread Starter

I could defiantly go lower on price I just don't want to buy a bunch of bits a pieces all over the place. I was also hoping to get him blade and soap samplers. I've gotten a couple PM's (thanks!) with razors/blades but no kits. I agree with you Parallax, I have ended up spending a decent chuck of change at this point and the razor I use every day is the one of the first I ever bought (British Slim Twist).

By the way, I've been meaning to post about the horse hair brush. It's truly one of my favorites (and I have a Savile Row 3824 and a Wee Scott). I wouldn't say I like it more than those. Less in fact. But only slightly less; the thing works great! Far better than my Omega Pro 9. And for $2.50 plus shipping? (The shipping actually cost more than the brush -- total price $6).

Sent you a PM with a possible kit to get you going!! Good luck.
    Life is like shaving..No matter how well you do it today, you still gotta do it tomorrow!

Also sent a pm

Add me to the pile... =)

Those newbie kits are usually priced awesome and go really fast.... If you can't get it anywhere why not get a razor and some blades from someone and split up the brush and soaps? If the price is good enough it will be worth it even with shipping....

PM sent as well

FWIW - I have a PIF for a full newbie kit going on the general discussion page.
    Chris

SIR Searus Dysconyus - OG Member - Knights of the Maillard Table

13. Thread Starter

Thanks for the offers everyone, I'm sifting through them right now. cxg231 I'll take a look at your PIF, thanks for the tip.