Thread: DE Beginners Kit

Default DE Beginners Kit

My friend is trying to get into safety razors and is looking to purchase a nice beginners kit. I would hook him up but SWAMBO had me cull the collection and I'm down to just the essentials. Would like to a get a nice razor or two, a selection of blades, brush, soaps/creams and any other accessories.

Budget is anywhere from $50-100 depending on the kit.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idleivey View Post
    My friend is trying to get into safety razors and is looking to purchase a nice beginners kit. I would hook him up but SWAMBO had me cull the collection and I'm down to just the essentials. Would like to a get a nice razor or two, a selection of blades, brush, soaps/creams and any other accessories.

Budget is anywhere from $50-100 depending on the kit.

Thanks!
    Was just thinking about this subject this morning. I'm about three weeks in and have spend around $350 or so on hardware and software. After all of that, I think a wonderful starter kit would consist of a basic Gillette Tech (fat or ball handle) which can be picked up for under $10, a puck of VDH soap for anywhere from $1.50 to $6 depending on which one you select, this little horse hair brush (which I love) from Turkey that can be had for $2.50 plus shipping, Target's witch hazel for $1 and change, a container of Nivea Sensitive Skin Balm (for $6 or less, depending on sales) and a mug or bowl from his cabinet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you want a Gillette Tech and are willing to pay shipping on it, PM me and I will give you one and a pack of blades.
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would check out jochums kit a couple of posts below. It's a nice starter. If I could do it all over again, I'd probably start with a Edwin Jagger DE89. And keep everything else cheap, such as what Parallax is suggesting.

I could defiantly go lower on price I just don't want to buy a bunch of bits a pieces all over the place. I was also hoping to get him blade and soap samplers. I've gotten a couple PM's (thanks!) with razors/blades but no kits. I agree with you Parallax, I have ended up spending a decent chuck of change at this point and the razor I use every day is the one of the first I ever bought (British Slim Twist).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By the way, I've been meaning to post about the horse hair brush. It's truly one of my favorites (and I have a Savile Row 3824 and a Wee Scott). I wouldn't say I like it more than those. Less in fact. But only slightly less; the thing works great! Far better than my Omega Pro 9. And for $2.50 plus shipping? (The shipping actually cost more than the brush -- total price $6).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sent you a PM with a possible kit to get you going!! Good luck.
    Life is like shaving..No matter how well you do it today, you still gotta do it tomorrow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also sent a pm

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Add me to the pile... =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Those newbie kits are usually priced awesome and go really fast.... If you can't get it anywhere why not get a razor and some blades from someone and split up the brush and soaps? If the price is good enough it will be worth it even with shipping....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PM sent as well

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

FWIW - I have a PIF for a full newbie kit going on the general discussion page.
    Chris

SIR Searus Dysconyus - OG Member - Knights of the Maillard Table

Thanks for the offers everyone, I'm sifting through them right now. cxg231 I'll take a look at your PIF, thanks for the tip.