What's new

Cooking tips

- They say that salting a cold water ads time to its heating process.

Salt raises the boiling point and lowers the freezing point of water. Also, since salt doesn't easily dissolve in cold water it will sit on the bottom of the pot and potentially create pits in the metal.

Add some milk to scrambled eggs and it will make them lighter.

Oil is needed to cook the gets.

But, I Love Over-Easy Eggs cooked in a Cast Iron Skillet.
Are you saying to add milk AFTER its cooked? Or put it in to the beaten eggs prior to pouring them in the skillet? The latter is how I do it. I think the ratio is 1.5 Tbsp of milk per egg, but usually I just eyeball it in the measuring cup. If the beaten eggs occupy 3 fl. oz, I will add milk until the volume increases to 4 fl. oz. Then, on top of that, I add any flavors or enhancements, such as spices, grated cheese, etc.

As long as the following items are kept in a cool, dry place and properly sealed they will last forever:

1) White Rice (any variety)
2) Honey
3) Sugar (white, brown, powdered/confectioner)
4) Salt
5) Maple Syrup
6) Corn Syrup
7) Corn Starch
8) Distilled White Vinegar
9) Vanilla Extract (real, not imitation)
10) Clarified Butter (airtight in fridge)

Are you saying to add milk AFTER its cooked? Or put it in to the beaten eggs prior to pouring them in the skillet? The latter is how I do it. I think the ratio is 1.5 Tbsp of milk per egg, but usually I just eyeball it in the measuring cup. If the beaten eggs occupy 3 fl. oz, I will add milk until the volume increases to 4 fl. oz. Then, on top of that, I add any flavors or enhancements, such as spices, grated cheese, etc.

Nope, add the milk before cooking the eggs. Whisk the eggs/milk and add salt/pepper to your taste and then pour into a preheated pan with some butter melted in it. About one teaspoon of milk per egg. And whisk/beat a lot of air into the egg/milk before cooking to make them fluffy.

Last edited:
Nope, add the milk before cooking the eggs. Whisk the eggs/milk and add salt/pepper to your taste and then pour into a preheated pan with some butter melted in it. About one teaspoon of milk per egg. And whisk/beat a lot of air into the egg/milk before cooking to make them fluffy.
Oh, OK ... that's how I've been doing it. I see that you recommend 1 tsp per egg, quite a bit less than I usually put in.

I'll try it next time with the new ratio, my scrambled eggs tend to be clumpy and greasy. Hopefully adjusting the milk quantity will cure this.

And whisk/beat a lot of air into the egg/milk before cooking to make them fluffy.

I disagree with whipping a lot of air into the eggs. They usually take longer to cook that way and scrambled eggs shouldn't be on the heat for too long. I feel that beating until the white and yolk are combined to be the perfect stopping point.

Oh, OK ... that's how I've been doing it. I see that you recommend 1 tsp per egg, quite a bit less than I usually put in.

I'll try it next time with the new ratio, my scrambled eggs tend to be clumpy and greasy. Hopefully adjusting the milk quantity will cure this.

Scrambled eggs should be kind of clumpy as the eggs clump as the proteins in the egg coagulate and surround the water content of the egg. If they are greasy, you are probably using too much fat or are cooking them too long. When scrambled eggs are overcooked they over coagulate and squeeze out all that liquid trapped between the proteins. You can fix the problem by cooking the eggs over a medium heat and removing the eggs from the heat while they are still slightly runny. The residual heat will finish cooking the eggs.

A rotisserie chicken from the grocery store makes a very quick soup. Pull the meat off and boil the carcass hard for a half hour while you chop up the meat. Remove the bones, add the chicken and your veggies and cook at a low boil for 45 minutes. If you like, reserve the veggies for the final 10 minutes of cooking, for more texture. Those rotisserie chickens often get marked way down when it gets close to closing time. Also makes good quickie chicken jambalaya or any dish that calls for chicken. Chicken tacos? Ready to rock! Just lightly fry some corn tortillas and fill with shredded chicken, onions, and cilantro, sprinkle some salsa verde, and there you go.

Using the stock makes for a quick and easy chicken and dumplings. Just make a biscuit dough, roll it thin, slice with a pizza cutter, and you are on your way.

If you're going to eat grits only use coarse stone ground cornmeal. Once you do you will never go back to instant.

Top Bottom