What's new

In search of my perfect ASB

Oh my...just snagged 4 samples of the L'Occitane Cade...very nice. Rich, mostuirizing, seems to be helping me heal. But, yeah, definitely pricey.

I've only tried this in a store so can't comment on the calming effect. It felt nice on the skin and the wife loves the fragrance but I was not sure about it. Maybe it is a grower?

Tired some balms but in the end, I decided I just don't like them. They all make me feel greasy. I used to use Nivea Sensitive, tried the CF and some others and probably still have a bottle of Bigelow 1200 hidden someplace in the house. I tried the Cade balm in the store recently and couldn't wait until I got home to wash it off. The closest to a balm I do use is Neutrogena Face Protect lotion, but I use it more after showering than after shaving.

If anyone does go to a L'Occitane store, try the Vetyver EDT. My wife and I both liked that. She wanted me to buy it, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the $50.

Used a new balm today - Platone ASB (from New Zealand?). Found it at Marshalls on the cheap. Very pleased. It is not as thick as the more lotiony-type balms. Had just enough moisture in it, but is very much non-greasy with a matte finish. Unscented, by the way. Marshalls also had their Moisturizing Day Creme. It is quite a bit thicker than the ASB. I am using that at night.

Google barely turns up anything on this brand.

Nothing beats Pre de Provence for me. I bought Trumpers Lime Skin Food a week earlier than Pre de Provence and it's never been used since PdP arrived. So yeah I have an almost full bottle of the Skin Food.

My favs are BB, Floris, Hanae Mori, T&H Trafalgar, Issey Miyake...match my colognes too. All are nice moisterizers, BB and Floris being tops.

Omp,
I was a beta tester for a new balm from Queen Charlotte Soaps. I'm not sure if it is even yet available for sale; it's brand new.

But this stuff is da bomb! Moisurizing, wonderful lime scent, goes on smoothly and absorbs well, soothes, no greasy or shiny after-feel.....just a really, really nice balm.

You might want to go to Queen Charlotte Soaps and see if it is available. If not, you might want to go back to the site once a week or so until it is, and then buy it. ;-)

I must agree... I can't wait for QCS to release the ASB we sampled... I was highly impressed. Much nicer scent than RR aftershave wax, just as effective. (The new RR waxes, at least the King Louis are nowhere near as effective as the original RR or the QCS product. Apparently the soothing properties of the original RR wax were in one or more of the components that I found (very) disagreeable to my nose.)

Help needed folks!
I'm a couple of months in to DE shaving and am looking for an ASB that fits all of my needs.

Here's what I've tried thus far and what I've thought of them - hopefully it will give you a few clues as to what might be a good ASB for me to try next.

-REN multi tasking ASB - Pros - absorbs quite well, leaves face smooth, calming on burn. Cons - Pricey, smells pretty bad (sort of medicinal)
-eShave ASB (unscented, Lime Verbena, Almond, White Tea, Lavender) - Pros - fragranced versions smell good, Cons - Too heavy, not easily absorbed, doesn't relieve burn very well
-Murad Razor Burn Rescue - Pros - Very calming, very easily absorbed. Cons - Pricey
-Anthony Logistics ASB - Pros - Cooling, nice menthol aroma. Cons - Loose consistency, not very calming despite inital cool feel

In short, Murad does the skin calming job best; I don't like anything too heavy/greasy like the eShave; a pleasant fragrance would be preferred.
It may be that Murad turns out to be the right one for me but I want to go on a voyage of discovery first.....

Many years ago at Basenotes everyone was praising the expensive Aramis Razor Burn Relief. I tried it and didn't think it was any better or worse than Nivea for Men, Trumper's Coral Skin Food, the Gillette balms (if you can stand the smells), Mennen Afta original, Proraso or Rexona Men for that matter.

The only real soother I've found for nicks and scrapes is dabbing Mennen Skin Bracer on the affected areas, waiting a minute, then putting whatever balm I have at hand over it and the rest of my face. Mennen Skin Bracer is the after shave splash with the closest properties to that of a balm that I've come across - it hardly stings and does moisturise somewhat. But it definitely does a better job on razor burn and nicks than else anything I've tried in my attempts at wet shaving over the years.

Nivea for Men Balm I think is very good, but it gives me a wet look I'm not fond of. I prefer Rexona for Men aftershave balm because it gives me a matte finish. Unfortunately t disappeared from our shelves, but I stocked up with 10 years worth. In Italy I bought a bottle of Nivea for Men aftershave splash, which worked very well and didn't give me the wet look , but I haven't seen it sold down here.
Regards,
Renato

Long time seeker of the perfect ASB. The only one that consistently performs and has, at least as of today, a permanent place on my shelf is Truefitt & Hill's Ultimate Comfort ASB. Lately I've been wanting scents after the shave and haven't gone to it as much, but as soon as the slightest bit of irritation comes about, I return to it like a faithless dog slinking back home. Give it a try. Expensive, but you only need a little.

Ideas:
Kyoku - VERY healing. Makes my red go away

I tried their face wash and was very impressed with the quality. I see their shave cream gets good reviews too. This has made the shortlist. Did you go for the sensitive or normal skin variety?

My favs are BB, Floris, Hanae Mori, T&H Trafalgar, Issey Miyake...match my colognes too. All are nice moisterizers, BB and Floris being tops.

BB is really tempting. I tried it in a Penhaligon's store earlier this month and both me and the Missus loved the fragrance. I have a sneaky feeling she has put it on my birthday list for a few weeks time - with some very unsubtle hinting from me of course :)

I tried their face wash and was very impressed with the quality. I see their shave cream gets good reviews too. This has made the shortlist. Did you go for the sensitive or normal skin variety?

BB is really tempting. I tried it in a Penhaligon's store earlier this month and both me and the Missus loved the fragrance. I have a sneaky feeling she has put it on my birthday list for a few weeks time - with some very unsubtle hinting from me of course :)

kyotu razor burn repair. It is one of the best I've used. It's what I grab if I used a feather in a new razor that went terribly wrong.

What do you guys think about Razor Burn Repair Liquid by Proraso?
Looking for something more easily obtainable where I am and not too expensive. Only learning to DE shave so need something good to relieve that razor burn.
Now using Sanex For Men Sensitive Aftershave Balm but it doesn't help. In fact I think it burns even more when I apply it.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about Razor Burn Repair Liquid by Proraso?
Looking for something more easily obtainable where I am and not too expensive. Only learning to DE shave so need something good to relieve that razor burn.
Now using Sanex For Men Sensitive Aftershave Balm but it doesn't help. In fact I think it burns even more when I apply it.

Fantastic product - only problem is that it's quite strong for the first 30 seconds - and the lime scent is a bit synthetic and stays for 2-3 hours.
Other than that it's a great product - I also use the balm from the same series, also a great product.

In my Top 10 of fav after shave products - I have 15 AS products in my den, only the best survives - and this is still a part of my den.......

Check out the Saint Charles Shave website. They have wonderful balms. My favorite is the Sandalwood. Long lasting, soothing and only $11.00. I have also tried their Aspect and Lime. Same price. Worth a look see. You can email them and tell them what you are looking for and they are very helpful. They are also members of B&B.

Fantastic product - only problem is that it's quite strong for the first 30 seconds - and the lime scent is a bit synthetic and stays for 2-3 hours.
Other than that it's a great product - I also use the balm from the same series, also a great product.

In my Top 10 of fav after shave products - I have 15 AS products in my den, only the best survives - and this is still a part of my den.......
Thanks Claus. But after reading a bit more I decided to try 444 After Shave Balm and ordered it yesterday from PortugalOnline. It's cheap but very good for razor burn from what I've red. Also got myself an alum block of same brand.

Check out the Saint Charles Shave website. They have wonderful balms. My favorite is the Sandalwood. Long lasting, soothing and only $11.00. I have also tried their Aspect and Lime. Same price. Worth a look see. You can email them and tell them what you are looking for and they are very helpful. They are also members of B&B.

I was just getting ready to mention this as well. I have a couple of the aftershave mills. Bay rum with a twist which is very nice. But, I just love the dagger sent.

Top Bottom