What's new

Latigo or English Bridle leather strop?

Has anybody used the bench strops from starshaving.com I have noticed that they have two kinds the Latigo and English Bridle. What is the difference between the two? Which one would work best by itself, which one is better with compounds? Which one would you suggest for straight razor stropping? What is the surface texture of those two kinds of leather? Thanks

I know I am not exactly answering your question, but I have several of their bench strops in balsa and wool. I've also tried their Big Mama hanging strop. For what it's worth, all are well made in my opinion. They are pretty inexpensive, no? Why don't you try both to test them them out (you could always sell the extra one on BST).

i like both, equally well. my latigo has more draw than my English bridle. use both on all my razors.

I have both too. I actually have a red latigo from SRD and just picked up a piece of english bridle to replace the latigo. The latigo got the job done, but it left a waxy residue on my razor. Didn't affect the performance of the razor, but was just annoying. Shaved off the english bridle for the first time last night and didn't notice anything drastically different other than not having to wipe the crud off my razor :)

I have both too. I actually have a red latigo from SRD and just picked up a piece of english bridle to replace the latigo. The latigo got the job done, but it left a waxy residue on my razor. Didn't affect the performance of the razor, but was just annoying. Shaved off the english bridle for the first time last night and didn't notice anything drastically different other than not having to wipe the crud off my razor :)

I too replaced the latigo with English Briddle on my SRD strop. I didn't notice the waxy residue, but I enjoy the EB more than the latigo.

I had a SRD Latigo and now have a Tony Miller English bridle. For me the SRD strop was way to fast with little to no draw, didn't care for it. The TM bridle strop has a good amount of draw that I find pleasing.

I had a SRD Latigo and now have a Tony Miller English bridle. For me the SRD strop was way to fast with little to no draw, didn't care for it. The TM bridle strop has a good amount of draw that I find pleasing.

Rick, TM english bridle? Sounds yummy. Was this a one off or something he used to offer? Don't think I've seen or heard of one before.

I'll give a big thumbs up for Tony's current production Steerhide strops. FWIW I have used a 3" Walkin' Horse English Bridle...now if I could get that strop in a 2.5" barber cut...I'd be all over it big time. I've also used Tony's Latigos, but for me, I really like the light amount of draw his new Steerhide strops have. They're almost fast which I've grown to love the feel, and I used to prefer more draw...not anymore...unless I could be coaxed w/the aforementioned strop:barbershop_quartet_
Apoligies to the OP for the thread hijack:oops:

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

No need to apologize. Just FYI. I am more of a paddle strop guy (a knife nut with lots of convex blades to strop). I ended up ordering one of the English bridle bench strops and preordering a Tony Miller 3”.

i have 2 English bridle strops that i like, and 1 latigo. i use them all and they all serve m,e well.

Top Bottom