What's new

Got an itch, need a (pen) recommendation

I can't seem to shake the urge to buy a new pen. I don't want to spend a fortune (after all, I'm already waiting for the Edison). Problem is, I have no idea what I want. I'd like to avoid duplicating something I already have unless it's an upgrade/replacement. Here's the current lineup:

Ratnamson 302, fine - writes like a nail, feels great in hand
Parker 51 Special, fine - this pen does not know how to disappoint me
TWSBI 540, fine & 1.1 stub - I'd sell it
Lamy Al-Star, fine & 1.1 stub - I'll never sell it; first pen, and it's super dependable
Noodler's Ahab - Kind of fun, but considering a non-flex nib replacement
Various cheapies, like a Preppy here, a Hero there, a Varsity, etc

Also, I've tried some others that didn't end up sticking around. I bought and sold a Kaweco before I saw the bulb-filler conversion, so maybe I'll pick up another one of those at some point. I've had Esterbrooks and found them too small. The Parker is the smallest pen I have, and I'd like it to stay that way. Otherwise, I'm pretty much open to anything.

Do your worst!

for a cheapy, the Pilot Plumix is hard to beat. comes with an italic/stubish nib, and you can grease up the threads and it will hold a TON of ink.
For a pricier pen, I really want to try a VP

There are some cool bigger pens out there. Bexley has several--the Corona looks like it would be a good pen. I've been wondering about Binder's Gate City Pens too. That New Dunn has been tempting me for a while. Conklin also has some big ones. I like the Herringbone (although it seems to be out of production now).

A cost effective option would be a Hero 1026. It is a large pen with some heft and it comes with a buttery smooth nib. It is a heck of a pen for under $20.

A Pilot VP would be an excellent choice. I love mine. The Pilot Prera is a very good, less expensive option. Waterman make some reasonably priced pens, and all of mine are great writers. For $38, you probably can't go wrong with a Sheaffer 100. It depends on your budget, but those are some ideas, anyway.

-Andy

That Hero 1026 is appealing, especially for the price. On the other end of the spectrum, nearing the end of my comfort zone, those Conklins look likely enough, particularly the Glider or that button filler. The Sheaffer 100 has a metal section which is a turn-off for me, but the 300 looks like the more heavy-set brother with a plastic section. It's about double the price, though.

Nothing quite hits the spot, yet... maaaaybe the Conklin.

Waterman. Close your eyes and spill the wheel. No matter where it lands you are a winner with their pens.

I think for now I'm going to go with a few inexpensive, chinese pens just to hold me over. I went with the white-veined Kaigelu 316 I've been eyeballing, as well as that Hero 1026 and a certain German-inspired Baoer (hey, it was $6). That ought to do for now.

As for the show in June, I'm planning on attending and hopefully showing some form of restraint.

I think for now I'm going to go with a few inexpensive, chinese pens just to hold me over. I went with the white-veined Kaigelu 316 I've been eyeballing, as well as that Hero 1026 and a certain German-inspired Baoer (hey, it was $6). That ought to do for now.

As for the show in June, I'm planning on attending and hopefully showing some form of restraint.

I would be interested in reading of your experiences with the 1026.

Top Bottom