What's new

4th quarter 1981 razors

after reading some threads about birth year razors, i am starting to desire one as well.

i see on the date code website that there were 2 in the 1981 year, the black handle super speed and black handle super adjustable, are there any other's ?

also, what would a cased and in good condition one of those sell for, ballpark of course ?

thanks
hutchster

I picked up my 4th quarter 1977 Super adjustable for $20 on the bay about a year ago.

pretty much the same razor, except 81 would have a plastic base plate (I think, I'm not 100% on that)

so I'd say $20 is a fair price, but honestly it's all about what its worth to you. It may just happen that you only find one after a long time of searching, and if the seller wants $40... whatever; in the grand scheme of things its only a few bucks. :)

EDIT: also, I dont believe that you can find a cased 1981, I believe by 1981 they were all sold on hang cards; please someone corect me if I'm wrong.

Since the letter code repeats make sure you are getting a D (1981) and not a D (1958) razor. Only black handle super speeds and black handle super adjustable razors were in production in 1981. The 3 piece Tech stopped in 1979 so only those two were made the year you are looking for.

pretty much the same razor, except 81 would have a plastic base plate (I think, I'm not 100% on that)

The diamond cut handle and black plastic exposure adjusting plate were started in 1977 and ran though the end of the super adjustable production (the last 10 years). Personally I like the diamond cut handle the best as it is not as slippery as the old style super adjustable handle that was slick.

the late style (1977 and newer) super adjustable will look like the top one in this photo.

proxy.php

yea i have yet to have the itch to really really want a birth year. only cuz mine is from 1983 and i dont think they look that great. mine will be exactly the same as what urs will look like but to each their own.

they did have a case i think it may be a little flemsy but stil a case. they also had them on hanging cards as well like onefallinghope mentioned.
this link is the super adjustable with a case. http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Adjustable/1985 (F1) Super-Adjustable.JPG
i dont think the super speeds for that year had cases tho maybe only came in the hanging stock cards

I got my NOS '78 birthquarter super speed for $50. Love this razor and should be quite similar to a '81.

$50 might be a bit too much bit too much but who puts the pricetag on a birthyear razor? It had been waiting all it's (and my) life for me!

I would have regretted it if I did not take it and it would not come around again.

Since the letter code repeats make sure you are getting a D (1981) and not a D (1958) razor. Only black handle super speeds and black handle super adjustable razors were in production in 1981. The 3 piece Tech stopped in 1979 so only those two were made the year you are looking for.

The diamond cut handle and black plastic exposure adjusting plate were started in 1977 and ran though the end of the super adjustable production (the last 10 years). Personally I like the diamond cut handle the best as it is not as slippery as the old style super adjustable handle that was slick.

the late style (1977 and newer) super adjustable will look like the top one in this photo.

proxy.php

My X4 '77 SA has the plastic base plate, but the earlier style handle

i made a nice score today,9 razors, 6 mugs and 8 brushes, but alas there wasn't a 1981 in it :(

i wouldn't have an issue paying $50 for a birth year in good condition, i'm starting to wonder what a sealed package hanger unit sells for ?

My $50 euro SS was a sealed package. I thought about keeping it sealed until my birthday but decided to use it straight away.

No regrets!

Top Bottom