Thread: B.s.t.

Default B.s.t.

Hi guys. I am thinking about selling some stuff in the b.s.t. I live in Canada. What is the best way to work out shipping costs. Also I have no idea how to price this stuff.....

Images

I can't tell you anything regarding shipping from Canada to (insert country here). What I can say is for getting a good idea on pricing an item I would go to the BST forum and do a keyword search in the search menu to see if you can locate similar items that have sold on BST in the past. For most shaving related items there has been a previous sale that should give you a good starting price point. Please take into consideration that most folks do not try and profit from the BST rather they pass on items no longer needed/wanted to a good home at a reasonable price to fellow shaving enthusiasts. I hope this helps some. Good luck & Happy shaving.
    - Brent
    "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."- Thucydides

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jayjo View Post
    Hi guys. I am thinking about selling some stuff in the b.s.t. I live in Canada. What is the best way to work out shipping costs. Also I have no idea how to price this stuff.....
    You can log into your paypal account then use the non transactional shipping interface to weigh and address a "fictional" box to get an idea of cost. Box up what you are thinking of selling (razor, brush, blade, what ever). weigh it then enter in a few random US zip codes and the weight of your box and it will tell you the exact cost of shipping for that box.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

As to the value. That would depend on what you have and the condition that it is in.
    Mick (insert witty comment here) - Shaving Soap Forum Steward

If you enjoy the time you spend on B&B - become a contributor and support B&B

Shipping through CP costs an arm and a leg
    The Name's Rob & "I'm Shaving Through History, One Razor At A Time"

It all depends on weight and destination; for example, a razor such as a Gillette New in a small box will cost you on average anywhere to the US from $7-10 First Class Airmail; best, fastest and safest way to send something for the lowest price; tracking number will add another $8-10 depending on destination; ground delivery is extremely slow and can be a bit unreliable.
    There is no way around it; we Canadians pay much more to ship to the US than the other way around; however, the positive is that it is actually cheaper to ship to the US than to Canada! Our tax system at work!
    With regards to your asking prices for items, you need to determine what they are selling for on the BST and ask for a fair price.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by celestino; 04-24-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Laughter, love and shaving!

Celestino

Images

Prices are set by the market, so check the average sale price for similar items going back a couple months on the BST.
    Worst case, you can always post a thread asking if $x is 'fair' for a given item - you'll get plenty of good feedback that way.
    Just call me Chris.

If you live by the border or take occasional trips across the line...might be an idea to ship out of the states. That's what I've done for my BST threads.
    Eh?

The only thing I've noticed through my BST's is that it's cheaper to ship to the US from Canada than it is to ship in Canada. So even though I'm in Canada I prefer to sell to CONUS.
    For example, one item I shipped air to the states cost me about $7, the price for shipping the same item from here (Edmonton) to Vancouver was ~$11 after taxes.
    Gene ~ When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.

Are you allowed to list a price and say plus "actual shipping?"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pipskicks View Post
    Are you allowed to list a price and say plus "actual shipping?"
    Sure, if you want to deal with calculating 40 different shipping costs for the 40 pm's you get.
    It's usually just easier to figure out an average shipping cost and add it to your price - you win some, you lose some, it averages out over a few sales.
    Just call me Chris.

Images

Generally, it's a good idea to make sure you have some sort of tracking & proof of delivery with the shipping option you pick ... I've heard that Paypal will basically side with the buyer who claims he never got the thing, unless the seller can prove otherwise.

Also, cross-border shipping can take a lot longer than most American buyers are used to (compared to stuff shipped within the US) so being able to provide a tracking number helps keep our anxious cousins to the south from complaining to Paypal too quickly.
    Be there or be square. Only I can do both!

"My lord, I will use them according to their desert."

"God's bodykins, man, much better: use every man
    after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping?"

Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-09

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doc4 View Post
    Generally, it's a good idea to make sure you have some sort of tracking & proof of delivery with the shipping option you pick ... I've heard that Paypal will basically side with the buyer who claims he never got the thing, unless the seller can prove otherwise.

Also, cross-border shipping can take a lot longer than most American buyers are used to (compared to stuff shipped within the US) so being able to provide a tracking number helps keep our anxious cousins to the south from complaining to Paypal too quickly.
    Good advice here. I am not based in the USA either and that is one of the reasons that I don't list gear on the BST on a regular basis. To sell a brush, a razor or a couple of soaps it would cost me almost as much in shipping as I would take in from the sale. Obviously being able to combine your items into lots will cut down the number of packages to be sent.
    David

If you have a problem, PM a Moderator. We're here to help.

2014- The journey continues