What's new

Picked these up today

I grabbed these two razors today at an antique fair. Surprisingly few razors there, for the fact that it was quite big.
Need to figure out how to unpin them so I can fix them up a bit.
If you can ID the black razor for me that would be great, most of the stamp has been rubbed off.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Altogether I paid about 15dollars for these combined.

The one with the black scales is a Taylor "Eye Witness". Ive owned a couple and they have been great shavers. Nice score!

The one with the black scales is a Taylor "Eye Witness". Ive owned a couple and they have been great shavers. Nice score!
Thanks for that, it is impossible to read. Its fantastic that I can post a picture, and within just over an hour the razor has been identified.

Lovely. Good score. What's your plan on them?
The bone razor (not sure if it is ivory or not, maybe someone can pitch in) I will just clean up and hone.
The Taylor Eye Witness I plan on removing the scales, fixing up the blade, and attempting to make a set of scales for it. These would be my first restoration projects.

Terrrrrific black razor - I love those with jimping on the TOP of the tang plus a round tip. Great score there.

That other is certainly bone, mine have the same pattern somewhat. An ivory is very smooth and warmer tone.

To unpin the scales

1/ If you carefully file away the head of the blade pivot you should be able to remove it.

2/ To re-assemble you will need a new pivot pin and washers. You put a washer on the pin, and push it through the scale, tang, and second scale. If there were any spacer washers either side of the tang inside the scales make sure you put them back in.

3/ Put another washer on the pin and nip the pin off just proud of the washer.

4/ Put the assembly, with the pin head side down, on a block of metal / anvil and using a small hammer peen the end of the pin over. Be fairly gentle here as to much force may cause the pin to buckle.

5/ Keep stopping and testing the movement of the blade till you get the right feel.

6/ Polish the head and peened over end to the desired finish.

7/ Go shave.

The pins and washers are usually made from nickle and are available from most restoration shops. Here in the UK The Invisible Edge have them along with some nice scales if you don't want to make your own.

Peter.

Top Bottom