What's new

Single-edge shaving trouble

Hi gents,

I was gifted an old Gem SE razor and wasn't a fan of shaving with it; the blade tugged like no other and I just couldn't get a close shave. A couple days ago I bought and cleaned up an Ever-Ready 1924, and shaved with it today, thinking it would be a different story. Same deal - tugged and bounced along quite unpleasantly. I can safely claim that it was not a lather-related issue in either case.

I kept going, though, with the Ever-Ready and my XTG pass worked just okay. Could it be my Treet blades? Could it be that I was just extra stubbly? I used a fresh blade in each attempt and chucked it immediately after. With the Gem, I thought it could have been that the clamp wasn't holding the blade down tightly enough, but feeling the same thing in this Ever-Ready seems to have dispelled that thought.

No amount of angle adjustment seemed to help. It was either tugging or just not cutting. Strangely, even with all this bounce and tug, I didn't have any weepers, nicks, or cuts. Software was AOS Sandalwood preshave oil and shaving cream, which works well and lathers effortlessly.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

I have never tried the Treet Blades so I can't comment on them. However, today I used my ER 1924 with a GEM PTFE blade and got a superb shave. One thing though - it may be the angle that you are struggling with. Listen carefully to the audible feedback to get the right angle.

make sure your razor is FLAT against your face...takes a few weeks before you can start to use the edge of the razor comfortably

Thanks, guys.
You know, come to think of it, I'm not sure if they're Treet or Gem blades. Whatever they are they definitely aren't stainless; they'll rust if you don't dry them adequately post shave.

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx
try the PTFE coated blades..I cant stand the pain of the stainless steel blades

Does that site mean to tell me that you can get a box of 100 of the blades you described, for $23? That's pretty reasonable and worth a shot.

They also seem to have a good deal on PTFE-coated injector blades at $4.50 for a dispenser of 20 blades; I just may have to grab one of those, too, since I just recently acquired an E-type.

Thanks again, all!

make sure your razor is FLAT against your face...takes a few weeks before you can start to use the edge of the razor comfortably

I could have sworn that somewhere I saw an image suggesting you NOT hold it flat against the face, in the form of pictures showing a flat, perpendicular, and "just right" angle in few diagrams.

However my googling led me to this:
full

So perhaps I'll try this next time I use my 1924 or my Micromatic

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you have proper shaving blades and not paint-scraper grade ones?

(Flat against the skin just doesn't cut any whiskers for me - I need some angle, albeit a shallow one)

Are you sure you have proper shaving blades and not paint-scraper grade ones?

A legitimate question. I'm aware that there are lesser-grade ones sold at hardware stores that aren't necessarily intended for face shaving.

As for mine, they were in the Shaving section at my local CVS drugstore, so hopefully they're stocking the right kind in the right place!

I could have sworn that somewhere I saw an image suggesting you NOT hold it flat against the face, in the form of pictures showing a flat, perpendicular, and "just right" angle in few diagrams.

However my googling led me to this:
full

So perhaps I'll try this next time I use my 1924 or my Micromatic

If I shaved like the instructions indicated none of my beard would come off! I use a shallow angle and listen for the sound of the beard stubble being "mowed."

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried again today with Cella and the "flat against the face" angle.
Considerably better, but still tuggy and just couldn't get as close as a DE can with three passes. I used a fresh blade. Additionally it's tough to maneuver that big hunk of a head underneath my nose. Better, though.

Top Bottom