What's new

My first Jnat is on its way

Alright I know that I might have just stepped of the edge of the cliff but I bought the stone that Cyidev was selling last night. I was interested in trying one as a finisher compared to my thuringians and coticules. It came with a tomo nagura. This should be all I need to finish a razor on right? It is a beautiful stone and I am excited about getting it. I have a lot of reading to do, Gamma sent me quite a few links, this will give me something to do at work this week. :biggrin1:

Here's a link to it on JNS. http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/product-p/334.htm

Congratulations, that's an excellent finisher, since I got my Ozuku Mizo Asagi LV 5+ I haven't used any pastes or sprays to finish. As Obiwan stated, Poly, shellac or varnish will work to seal the bottom, I did mine with clear lacquer. While that stone is super hard, it's better to be safe than sorry. If you are doing to do a lot of slurrying, take a picture before they stamps wear out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the stone used so the stamps have already been lapped off. Would the photo on JNS be the same stamps? That is the same stone that is pictured on the web site I do believe.

oh, I forgot. I can't remember who it was (I think Gamma), but someone else suggested clear nail polish for sealing.

Congrats!! Since I got my ozuku I have not been tempted to buy any other finisher. As a matter of fact I have been considering selling my other finishers. I just can't see myself going back to them.

I have a shoubudani from JNS, one of the typ 100's (travel size 6'X2') with tomo and asano nagura's and it's been perfect, I don't think I ever need another one although I think when I get some extra money a bigger one will eventually come my way :D
If you use it as a finisher or for touchups the tomonagura is all you need although I'm glad I also bought the asano nagura's for the full honing experience.
Congrats with your new stone!

I have a shoubudani from JNS, one of the typ 100's (travel size 6'X2') with tomo and asano nagura's and it's been perfect, I don't think I ever need another one although I think when I get some extra money a bigger one will eventually come my way :D
If you use it as a finisher or for touchups the tomonagura is all you need although I'm glad I also bought the asano nagura's for the full honing experience.
Congrats with your new stone!

I am sure this will happen. Can't just go in half way. Gotta dive in head first and think about it later.

I bought a razor last week that was finished on a jnat and now I have a real bad itch to buy a jnat. I am still researching what I want to buy but I know eventually I will own one.
Please post your thoughts on the stone once you use it.

I bought a razor last week that was finished on a jnat and now I have a real bad itch to buy a jnat. I am still researching what I want to buy but I know eventually I will own one.
Please post your thoughts on the stone once you use it.

That's your problem you are thinking about it. Just buy it. :lol: From what I have heard it is luck of the draw weather you get a great stone or not. You can email Maxim and ask his opinion.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Iwasaki's honing guide has some interesting theories on jnat honing.

I believe it's in my sig link.

I only use sprays now on the step between the tomonagura and water finishing according to the "iwasaki method" to remove the finned edge after the slurry. YMMV

Iwasaki's honing guide has some interesting theories on jnat honing.

I believe it's in my sig link.

I only use sprays now on the step between the tomonagura and water finishing according to the "iwasaki method" to remove the finned edge after the slurry. YMMV

Thanks Kent. I have read through part of it, Gamma emailed it to me. It is my goal to read it tonight at work.

You're going to need floor joist supports for all the stones you've been buying. :lol:

My house is on a slab. :lol: I am trying to sell one as one comes in.

Top Bottom