What's new

JNat edge?

Which one is the JNat edge?

• Edge A

• Edge B

Results are only viewable after voting.
One of these edges was honed on a JNat, the other on 1um lapping film with a 0.5um diamond/chromox SynthSlurry.

Both are GDs.

There is some lighting variation, as one of the images was taken some time ago, and lighting differences plays a key part in actually seeing "what is what", but I felt these two edges were visually pretty similar.

Attachments

• $edge A.jpg
    $edge A.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 273
  • $Edge B.jpg
    $Edge B.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 272
Additional info:

Here's a look at the surface of a tomo nagura slurry stone, (I updated this)

And the 1um lapping film

Attachments

• $alumox 1um.jpg
    $alumox 1um.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 264
  • $Jnat slurry stone.jpg
    $Jnat slurry stone.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I'd say B based on the coarser scratch pattern and the nagura, but if that's in fact the case, I'd also say that a finer finisher would equalize the story...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
He finished with mini back and forth heel to toe motions on water...maybe he needed to do more, but the Iwasaki method calling for 10-15 minutes of that was too much for his ADHD, and someone didn't want any cubic moron spray finishes.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
BTW that edge was a guinea pig test to see how Iwasaki's method looks under your scope. So far it gives that über guy pretty nice shaves.

So, yes, edge B was the JNat.

The challenge is for me to try and recreate that same kind of edge using synthetics.

Here is an abomination:

A tomo nagura on 3um lapping film!

Oh, the humanity!

The edge looks pretty crummy...

I'll keep working on it.

Attachments

• $slurry on film.jpg
    $slurry on film.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 190
  • $Jnat slurry edge.jpg
    $Jnat slurry edge.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 193

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ouch! My bad dude...use the larger flats!! The thinner sides are exterior rock that I smoothed down on a DMT. No wonder it won't work. The light green area are what you want slurry from.

maybe rub two tomonagura together to slurry, and put that slurry on the film, and then hone?

Theory - the slurry from the tomo off the 1 um film, even if you use the right side of the Nagura, might not be as fine as it would be it was generated on an Awasedo.
The slurry breaks down - but only to a point,,,so maybe if you start the slurry finer, you can go further.
I don't know... just thinking out loud here...

maybe rub two tomonagura together to slurry, and put that slurry on the film, and then hone?

Theory - the slurry from the tomo off the 1 um film, even if you use the right side of the Nagura, might not be as fine as it would be it was generated on an Awasedo.
The slurry breaks down - but only to a point,,,so maybe if you start the slurry finer, you can go further.

+1, that makes a lot of sense.

The JNat edge (B) is at about the refinement level I see for between 1-3um lapping film. I think creating a slurry at the 1um level is pretty refined. I even gave 0.5um a whirl, but nothing conclusive yet.

I hear what you're saying, but I'm thinking that the abrasive particles in the film might not be abrading the stone the same way another stone would.

Top Bottom