What's new

Lodge seasoned carbon steel skillets

I was in a kitchen store yesterday and stumbled across these skillets. I didn't know that Lodge was making skillets like these. Has anyone used them? They look pretty nice. They come in 8, 10 and 12 inch sizes.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have not used that variety, but I have two Lodge cast iron pans that have been excellent. They don't compare to my heirlooms yet, but they will by the time they reach 50+ years of use I am sure.

You really ought to get this thread title changed to "Lodge Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillets".

They look interesting. I do almost everything in a couple vintage cast iron skillets and a new Lodge cast iron Dutch oven.

My only concern is the factory seasoning. The stuff came off my Dutch oven, and I had to strip and re-season it. A PITA, but certainly doable with cast iron.

I don't know if you can do that with carbon steel. Any input?

You really ought to get this thread title changed to "Lodge Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillets".
They look interesting. I do almost everything in a couple vintage cast iron skillets and a new Lodge cast iron Dutch oven.

My only concern is the factory seasoning. The stuff came off my Dutch oven, and I had to strip and re-season it. A PITA, but certainly doable with cast iron.

I don't know if you can do that with carbon steel. Any input?

Thanks, I changed the title.

I don't know if I can strip the seasoning on this pan or not. I would imagine that I can though and then re-season it myself. I've stripped coatings off of other cast iron pans by putting them in the oven for a self cleaning cycle or cranking up the BBQ and basically just burning the coating off, I haven't done that with the factory coating.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
And since we're talking the benefits of using cast iron cookware.....

Actually, we're not. We're talking about the benefits of carbon steel skillets- those are two entirely different animals.

I had a chance to see the Lodge skillets at Chef Central. Nice to see another entry into this under-appreciated style of cookware, joining DeBuyer, Mauviel, Alessi, and a few others. To my knowledge, the Lodge appear to be the first pre-seasoned black steel pans on the market.

ouch

I don't know if I can strip the seasoning on this pan or not. I would imagine that I can though and then re-season it myself. I've stripped coatings off of other cast iron pans by putting them in the oven for a self cleaning cycle or cranking up the BBQ and basically just burning the coating off, I haven't done that with the factory coating.

Care for black steel pans is identical to cast iron. You can re-season them indefinately, although it's a rare occasion that calls for stripping the original seasoning.

When funding permits, I plan to get a couple of these carbon steel skillets (you can find similar ones unseasoned). One for eggs/omelets only (probably a smaller one) and one for everything else. I read somwhere that, classically, one pan was reserved in many kitchens just for eggs. I already have a carbon steel wok, and it is virtually non-stick in the bottom. Great pan.

Size: 8-Inch

• Foundry Seasoned and ready to use
  • Takes high heat for best browning/searing
  • 12 gauge carbon steel
  • Use on all heat sources except microwave ovens
  • Made in the USA
  • Foundry seasoned with natural soil bean oil and ready to use
  • Handle angle is conducive for both stove top and oven cooking
  • Made in usa
  • Use on all heat sources except microwaves

Pssshh. I'll pass.

Size: 8-Inch

• Foundry Seasoned and ready to use
  • Takes high heat for best browning/searing
  • 12 gauge carbon steel
  • Use on all heat sources except microwave ovens
  • Made in the USA
  • Foundry seasoned with natural soil bean oil and ready to use
  • Handle angle is conducive for both stove top and oven cooking
  • Made in usa
  • Use on all heat sources except microwaves

Pssshh. I'll pass.

Soil bean oil?

You'll pass on the microwave or the pan?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Actually, we're not. We're talking about the benefits of carbon steel skillets- those are two entirely different animals.

What are the differences between the two 'animals'? A weight difference, I suspect ... but beyond that ... wait, do I really want to ask this, and end up buying several hundred dollars worth of carbon steel skillets ... no doubt the hand-made Japanese ones to boot ... :wacko:

I'd suspect the carbon steel skillets heat up quicker, and lose heat faster as well. I'd also think that it would be faster to get that slick black surface faster than with a modern Lodge, since the surface wouldn't be so pebbly.

The idea of a lighter skillet that can go from stove to oven has appeal. Is there a lid available?

I'd suspect the carbon steel skillets heat up quicker, and lose heat faster as well. I'd also think that it would be faster to get that slick black surface faster than with a modern Lodge, since the surface wouldn't be so pebbly.

The idea of a lighter skillet that can go from stove to oven has appeal. Is there a lid available?

I haven't found any lids for the lodge pans and I haven't seen any for the other brands. Ouch listed a few other makers that I'm not familiar with, they might make a lid. You could probably use a generic lid if you wanted to.

What are the differences between the two 'animals'? A weight difference, I suspect ... but beyond that ... wait, do I really want to ask this, and end up buying several hundred dollars worth of carbon steel skillets ... no doubt the hand-made Japanese ones to boot ... :wacko:

Cast Iron is great for searing, frying, grilling, and griddles and will hold its heat longer and more evenly for slow cooking. But it is heavy and the shape is all wrong for saute, omelets, etc. Basicly if the food is turned or moved about with a spatula or tongs go cast iron, if the food is moved or flipped by the action of the pan go carbon steel.

ouch

Jwhite explains it very well in post #18.

I know I hoodwinked you into buying a sampler of knives a few years ago, and expect you to be leery of any further recommendations. So I'd first like to make a few guesses regarding your knife experience-
1) You have better knives than you did before you got your DP's
2) Cooking is now more enjoyable
3) You didn't spend all that much on them
4) The current replacement cost of your knives is significantly more than you shelled out for them
5) You may have purchased a few more knives (eg: group buys) but you didn't have have to
6) You didn't become a raving lunatic

If the above is anywhere near your actual experience, I'd like to think that's at least in small part due to my overall philosophy when it comes to recommending anything. It is very easy to recommend that someone purchase a great, expensive product. Get a full set of Le Creuset. It's another thing altogether to recommend a product that performs well beyond its price point.

Carbon steel pans are no longer offered at "giveaway" prices. I used to pay $8-10 for them in the 90's. Prices have certainly crept up, but they are still very inexpensive when compared to other quality cookware. Their downsides are obvious- they are not nearly as pretty as the beautiful pans from All-Clad, Bourgeat, or the usual contenders. They require the same not insignificant maintenance of cast iron. They may suck for months or even years before they break in properly. But when they're working right they're as good as anything and will last forever. They're great for sauteing, making crepes, omelets, or pancakes. Bottom line- if you use them infrequently there are much better choices, but they benefit from near constant use, hence their ubiquity in restaurants.

Try an 8-10" saute pan for a few bucks and see if you like it. I can guarantee that it's almost impossible to spend a fortune on them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks for the info, guys.

Jwhite explains it very well in post #18.

I know I hoodwinked you into buying a sampler of knives a few years ago, and expect you to be leery of any further recommendations. So I'd first like to make a few guesses regarding your knife experience-
1) You have better knives than you did before you got your DP's
2) Cooking is now more enjoyable
3) You didn't spend all that much on them
4) The current replacement cost of your knives is significantly more than you shelled out for them
5) You may have purchased a few more knives (eg: group buys) but you didn't have have to
6) You didn't become a raving lunatic

Spot-on for 1 through 4, I'd quibble about "have to" for 5, and 6 ... well ... if it ain't fixed ya can't broke it.

Top Bottom