What's new

Lodge seasoned carbon steel skillets

I am officially curious. My carbon steel wok has been getting some serious use since Christmas, and I've been wanting something a little bit more maneuverable.

I really enjoy my steel pans, if you have "help" in the kitchen it can sometimes difficult to prevent finding it soaking in a sink of hot dishwashing liquid to "clean it up".:letterk1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will soak my numerous cast iron pieces in hot water with a touch of soap, to remove any stuck on food. I will use a plastic scrubbie pad on them too, but never steel wool. I haven't had any problems with the seasoning being damaged. I always dry the pans and coat them with oil before storage. Two of my pans are about 100 years old. I usually do a touch-up seasoning every year, with lard in the oven for a couple hours.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A thick paste of kosher salt and water works great for removing stubborn bits.

I bought a 12 inch pan on the 23rd of April and I've had a chance to use it several times since then. I've cooked pancakes, salmon fillets, and scrambles eggs and the pan has exceeded my expectations. I haven't had any problems with food sticking. I thought that the fish might stick but it was a non issue. Clean up has been an absolute breeze, I just wipe it out with a kitchen towel and apply a thin coat of oil. I did use a little soap and water after I cooked the fish, dried it and applied a little oil to the whole pan. I didn't want any residual flavors from the fish left in the pan.

I'm liking this pan so much that I'm thinking about getting one of the smaller Lodge steel skillets for my son to use in the morning for his scrambled eggs.

Here is a little update on my Lodge carbon steel pans. That's right pans.

I liked the 12 inch pan so much that I picked up the small 8 inch pan for cooking eggs. At this point the pan has seen a good amount of use for a home kitchen. My oldest son and I cook our eggs in it during the weekdays. My son usually cooks a piece of bacon in it before he cooks his eggs. It also servers as an extra skillet for pancakes on the weekend. The small pan has been used about 8 times a week since the end of April.

Initially the pan was not as non stick as a teflon pan, or as non stick as my Scanpan ceramic titanium pan but it was pretty close. Cooked eggs might have to be wiped out, or brushed out with a nylon brush after use. Both pans have only gotten better with use. At this point after I get done cooking eggs in the small pan I just hold the pan under running water and it's clean, I dry it, heat it back up on the stove and wipe it down with an oiled paper towel. I bought the pan for my son with the intention of it replacing my small Teflon pans, I know that it can take abuse that will destroy a Teflon pan. My son has managed to seriously burn some eggs into the bottom of the pan a couple of times, I'm still trying to get him to understand that the dial on the stove burner is actually adjustable, he thinks that there are two settings, off and Mt. Vesuvius. The times he has created a burnt mess the pan cleans up pretty easily, he scrapes it out with a nylon scraper and maybe some steel wool then dries it and oils it and it's right back to normal within a couple of uses. I'm not sure how much I paid for the small pan, I think under $30, I've seen them online from $22 to $34.

I have a few pretty nice pans, pans that cost a lot more than my two lodge pans, but the pans that I find myself reaching for are the lodge carbon steel skillets. I wouldn't use them for a tomato based sauce, or for some types of reductions but these pans are real work horses. The small pan sees so much use that it stays on the stove.

I like them so much I'm thinking about picking up this little thing, a 15 inch paella pan. I think it would be great to use on the grill, or when I'm cooking for a crowd.

proxy.php

My 8 inch is a perfect egg pan btw the sear on carbon steel is superior to cast iron IMO

Seasoning is more important they can rust when not taken care of. I love the two I have.

I've seen these pans in stores recently, but didn't pay them much attention until now as I've been preoccupied with the cast iron acquisition disorder. Cast iron works great on the electric stove with open coils at my apartment but the ceramic cook top at my house in the country came with warnings not to use cast iron cookware. I believe this was to prevent scratching the surface.

Does anybody know if the seasoned carbon steel pans discussed in this thread are safe for use on a ceramic cook top?

Paul, I have no idea if these are safe for your ceramic cook top? Are regular steel pans ok to use on the ceramic cook top? If regular pans are safe to use I would think that these are safe as well. You could try picking up a small 8 inch pan and see if that works with out scratching to cook top.

Paul, I have no idea if these are safe for your ceramic cook top? Are regular steel pans ok to use on the ceramic cook top? If regular pans are safe to use I would think that these are safe as well. You could try picking up a small 8 inch pan and see if that works with out scratching to cook top.
I checked out a pan at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day. It does seem to be as smooth as a regular steel skillet, so I wouldn't aniticipate the scratching problems of cast iron.

From the Lodge web site:
"Lodge Seasoned Carbon Steel is right at home on induction, ceramic, electric and gas cooktops, in your oven, on the grill, or even over the campfire. Do not use in the microwave.

"On glass or ceramic cooktops, lift cookware; never slide it."

That's the same advice they have for the regular cast iron, but not the enamled cast iron.

I'll have to check the cook top manufacturer's web site when I get to the house. For the life of me I don't even remember which brand it is.

Some of the online reviews seem to indicate that using it on a ceramic cook top isn't a problem.

Top Bottom