What's new

Grabbed what I think is my first Single Ring

Waiting for it to arrive. I think I did OK for $26.66
$Ebay grab.jpg

You did great! That is an early SR, 1908ish, the case is a pretty rare case with the script writing. It's pre-diamond trademark. Can't check my references now, but yeah, you did all right!

Only has one blade case, but can't wait to get it and clean it up. Oh yeah and shave with it.

You did great! That is an early SR, 1908ish, the case is a pretty rare case with the script writing. It's pre-diamond trademark. Can't check my references now, but yeah, you did all right!

I think the script imprint started replacing the ribbons in the case lid sometime during 1906. The Gillette diamond trademark filing claims a first use in commerce in May of 1908, but that doesn't necessarily mean that was when they started putting it into the case headliners. From the ads that I've looked through I don't recall seeing the diamond showing up in cases until 1909 in that artwork, but again, that doesn't mean it couldn't have been used earlier either.

I think the script imprint started replacing the ribbons in the case lid sometime during 1906. The Gillette diamond trademark filing claims a first use in commerce in May of 1908, but that doesn't necessarily mean that was when they started putting it into the case headliners. From the ads that I've looked through I don't recall seeing the diamond showing up in cases until 1909 in that artwork, but again, that doesn't mean it couldn't have been used earlier either.
The diamond trademark 1st used /appeared in advertisement in 1909.

So should I use the baking soda, aluminum foil and hot water cleaning method for this thing?

This is one of the earliest print uses I've been able to find, from the September 19, 1908 issue of Collier's. (Note the diamond logo on the blade. You may want to click through to see it larger.)

So should I use the baking soda, aluminum foil and hot water cleaning method for this thing?

If you want it shiny that's the safest way to do it. It will reconvert the tarnish back into silver by splitting off the sulfur. Going straight to polish will remove the tarnish, taking the silver that's bound up in it away.

You did very well. My first cost me 30. Keep an eye out on the 'bay, and you'll find a second blade case for it.
You can use the baking-soda-and-foil trick, certainly. Get yourself some Maas (gently, gently!) to add a little more shine, too.
-- Chet

I can't wait for it to show up. As soon as it does it is cleanup then next morning shave. The Single Ring really wasn't a must have for me, but when I saw it I thought I would give it a shot. I'll try to post before and after pics of the cleanup.

Top Bottom