What's new

Mystic Water? - Thoughts

I am especially interested in how it compares to the Italian big guns (Cella, Valobra, Vitos, P160, RazoRock).

TIA.

There was a huge thread on MW not too long ago...see if you can find it. I gave mine away to one of the members that was able to get it work well, because I couldn't get it to work with the way I shave. I have over 40 soaps and creams in my den and didn't think it was worth the trouble. If you can get it to work, it apparently is quite nice.

All those Italian soaps are pretty much foolproof in terms of lather building. They can take a reasonable amount of water and aren't too finicky or sensitive to heat. I get thick, dense lather out of all them that lasts, even in a warm scuttle. They give good shaves too, but I think the scents of them and the shave quality is going to be somewhat YMMV as with any soap. They're not all the same either...I'm actually doing a comparison of them on another board right now.

I'm a fan of the Mystic Waters soaps. I like the scents and the performance, and particularly the skincare aspects.

Performance-wise, I find it very similar to my RazoRock products, but not quite as foolproof. The RR artisan and black-tub soaps I have make lather considerably faster. Mystic waters takes me more time to get all the water incorporated for a nice stable lather. I don't actually have any similar scents in the two so it's hard to compare. Mystic waters leaves my face feeling softer.

I just ordered my first puck of mystic waters. I ordered a puck and a sample. I had to ask a few questions about shipping over to New Zealand. I must say, if the soap is anywhere near as good as the service I was offered by Michelle, this will be the best soap ever. To go to all of the trouble she went to just to send a single puck that far around the word, speaks volumes of the quality of their service. Well done Michelle. Even if it is to just experience the service, I think you should pick something up from there.

Thanks for your service Michelle.

In my opinion Mystic Water performs with the best of them(P.160, Palmolive Stick, RazorRock, etc.) as far as slickness and lubrication. The moisturizing properties were phenomenol, but I wasn't too impressed with the coconut scent and the lather takes a bit more effort than most. I would say the lather is higher quality than most.

Last edited:
Look, I would say from the samples I have tried that Tabac, Cella & Arko are probably slightly better performing soaps than Mystic Waters, but probably not much better.

I face lather and so I have a different technique to the bowl latherers here but I find that 30 secs of loading on a boar or badger brush gives me enough lather for 3 passes and touch up. Good scent, moisturizing and sufficient cushion/slip for the shave. It was good enough to me to buy some pucks and pay the shipping for delivery all the way to Australia.

Thanks folks. I'll look for that thread again (remember seeing it, now that you mention it). I love Vitos and P160, but was intrigued by all the scents that Mystic Waters makes. Above all, though, I am most concerned about performance.

I have had a puck of Coconut, Lime & Verbena for two weeks and have used it fairly regularly. I face lather and almost always use a boar brush. I have never had a problem generating lather from this soap. In fact, after a few uses it actually got easier to lather with. To compare it to the Italian products - I've have Cella and Valobra Menthol and had Vitos Coconut in the past. It lathers just as well as any of them, for me performs better than Vitos and Valobra and gives results as good as Cella. For the price, it's an outstanding product and the truth is that Mystic is still in its early days of making shaving soap. I'm sure that improvements will come and make an already excellent product even better.

I have several of Michelle's soaps and I have one tub of RR Artisan soap. For me, they are very close in performance but I would give the edge to Mystic Waters. The RR lathers up a little bit more quickly, but not significantly so; the lather LOOKS totally amazing but it doesn't PERFORM better than Mystic Waters. If anything, the shave is slightly more comfortable and the after-the-shave face feel is slightly better with Mystic Waters. As always, this is just my opinion formed from my own experience, and YMMV.

I haven't tried ANY soaps whatsoever that I feel outperform Mystic Waters soaps.

I find Mystic Water soaps to be easy to lather and the lather it provides is thick, luscious, and slick. The moisturizing effects of MW soaps are as good or better than any other soap I've tried. I put it in my top 3.

For me, Mystic Water has been easy to lather and I have had no issues. Also, my experience is that the performance is better than my beloved RazoRock artisan line and just slightly better than King Louis.

In short, I pick MW over RR if I could only have one. Again, no lather issue here, it has worked like a champ. I face lather and use Marcos method for loading the brush and swirl it on the puck for 45 seconds.

There was a huge thread on MW not too long ago...see if you can find it. I gave mine away to one of the members that was able to get it work well, because I couldn't get it to work with the way I shave. I have over 40 soaps and creams in my den and didn't think it was worth the trouble. If you can get it to work, it apparently is quite nice.

All those Italian soaps are pretty much foolproof in terms of lather building. They can take a reasonable amount of water and aren't too finicky or sensitive to heat. I get thick, dense lather out of all them that lasts, even in a warm scuttle. They give good shaves too, but I think the scents of them and the shave quality is going to be somewhat YMMV as with any soap. They're not all the same either...I'm actually doing a comparison of them on another board right now.

I also had trouble getting it to lather. The skin care properties of MW are probably the best of any soap I have used but the Italian soft soaps lather so much easier then MW that I ended up PIF'ing the MW. FWIW, the guy I PIF'ed it to really likes it and found it easy to lather.

I just ordered samples of pretty much every flavor she has. Pretty pumped up to try them out. Kind of bored of my soaps I have right now. Plus a friend who I am getting started wet shaving has a few of my favorites to try it out.

I really like the moisturizing qualities of MW but also like nice warm lather, so I use a scuttle. MW and a warm scuttle do not go together. I can whip up lather in the scuttle, but after the first pass the remaining lather in the scuttle is now a thin foam. That kills it for me and I was going to PIF the puck, but yesterday decided to give it one more go. Spied a tube of Lea cream in the cabinet and put a half snurdle in the scuttle, went to the puck for 20-30 seconds with a moist brush and whipped it up. That bit of cream stabilized the lather and it was almost yogurt like in consistency. Exceptional shave and had no need for balm/AS.

Ron

You'll have to pry my MW Lily of the Valley out of my cold, dead hands.

I love this soap so much I often find myself grabbing it instead of MdC, MWF, or even my TOBS creams.

I have a slew of samples I have yet to open as well (Sandalwood Rose smells divine to me).

Top Bottom