What's new

Your favorite comedian?

David Steinberg has a show on Showtime where he interviews comedians (Inside Comedy) and Chris Rock made an insightful comment regarding Bill Cosby and Richard Pryor (both of whom tear me up). He pointed out that while both were all time greats, what Bill Cosby did, and still does, was so hard that no one imitates him. Rock said that he does a little Pryor in his routines, Eddie Murphy did a little and so on. No one, however, does Cosby and he claims it's because it too difficult.

Anyway my favorites:

Jack Benny (watch his old TV show, he kills)
Bill Cosby
Richard Pryor

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Jim Gaffigan
John Caparulo

And Kevin James (from King of Queens, which I don't really care for) has a great stand up routine.

any way, i have two camps of favorites... in one camp Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor and Sam Kinison (the raw comedians)...and in the other camp Jerry Seinfeld (kinda the thinking man's comedian IMHO) "I mean i'd love to meet the chairman of the board of mccdonalds and say to him, look, we all get it...you've sold alot of hamburgers...i'm tired of hearing about every god damn one of 'em" (and i guess those of you who are to young to remember the signs with like 90 bjillion sold wouldn't get it.)

Why do so many comedians think they have to talk dirty to be funny? Look at the old I Love Lucy's, Red Skelton, Jackie Gleason, i.e. no swearing or potty mouth but so funny you could not stop laughing. I don't know, maybe it is a generational thing. Borat, making fun of others and getting laughs at someone else's expense is not funny. Again, maybe generational. I saw part of the Sasha Baron Cohen movie where he was making fun of some friends of mine at Alabama OCS. Not Funny. He had no clue as to purpose of what happens there, but he was there to make fun of it. If I am going to get a laugh at someones expense, it is going to be at my expense.

A whole bunch of the posts here comment on the question of why do so many comedians feel they have to be "dirty" or use "foul language" in order to be funny. I don't think that's the right question. Comedians are either funny or not; using foul language won't make them so. The real question is why there are so many funny comedians who use foul language (pryor, murphy, bruce,rock louis ck, black, carlin etc). But that should be the topic of another thread.

Why do so many comedians think they have to talk dirty to be funny? Look at the old I Love Lucy's, Red Skelton, Jackie Gleason, i.e. no swearing or potty mouth but so funny you could not stop laughing. I don't know, maybe it is a generational thing. Borat, making fun of others and getting laughs at someone else's expense is not funny. Again, maybe generational. I saw part of the Sasha Baron Cohen movie where he was making fun of some friends of mine at Alabama OCS. Not Funny. He had no clue as to purpose of what happens there, but he was there to make fun of it. If I am going to get a laugh at someones expense, it is going to be at my expense.

I find Cohen to be a mean spirited comedian.

Also a cheap shot artist.

For example, how hard is it to make fun of some drunk frat boys.

Ahhh, I know I belong when only one person so far has listed the insipid and derivative Russell Peters.

Mine would be George Carlin, but I would also have to mention Lenny Bruce and Sarah Silverman... also like Robin Williams and Richard Pryor very much. I have a hard time with these "pick one" questions... lol.

Funny how these things are... Sarah Silverman is at or near the top of my list while Robin Williams ranks at the very bottom, even below Russell Peters.

I'll add a thumbs up for Chappelle as well. His stand up's are ridiculous.

+1 I hope he can get back to his circa 2000 form.

I'm surprised that more women haven't made the list here ... there are certainly enough of them that can give any male comedian a run for his money.

And what about Margaret Cho? Joan Rivers? Phyllis Diller? Lucille Ball? Carol Burnett?

And let's not forget the hilarious women from SNL ... Jane Curtin, Larraine Newman, Nancy Gross, Rachel Dratch, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Kristin Wigg to name but a few.

I've seen some vintage footage of a young Joan Rivers doing her thing and it was just awful, simply awful. I wonder if she attained such heights in the industry primarily for being a loudmouth and foulmouth in a skirt at a time when the stage was ruled by men.

My favorite comedy is clean. I think it demonstrates much more talent to make people laugh without the shock value of crude language.

Great point. And while I do agree with you, there's something to be said for crude language and taboo subject matter that works as a means, not an end. Genuine wit and intelligence can shine if framed with the right trash talk. People like Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Sarah Silverman and Dave Chappelle do it right.

You mean making fun of the 3 racist kids?

I happen to think Cohen's a genius, along the lines of a modern Kaufman.

I also don't think a person's taste in comedy defines that individual's character.

Top Bottom