What's new

Your favorite comedian?

Stand up comedians - agree with David, the Big Yin takes some topping. I also loved the old style British ones, like Les Dawson, and particularly Dave Allen. Nowadays I like Michael Macintyre as well.

stand up? steven wright.. movie? the jerk
now this does not rank for comedians, (no disrespect as he is a great actor but) favorite movie of all time is "the big lebowski"

Thinking about this a bit more, on his day Ben Elton was pretty good, if a little bit too left-wing for me sometimes. I also like Joan Rivers, some of her stuff has me in hysterics.

Mine would be George Carlin, but I would also have to mention Lenny Bruce and Sarah Silverman... also like Robin Williams and Richard Pryor very much. I have a hard time with these "pick one" questions... lol.

Louis CK is probably my favorite.

Currently my 'living' favorite, too, along with Chris Black. Fun fact: Louis grew up on my street. He was the younger brother of one of my best friends in high school. Back then, he made absolutely no impression on me whatsoever (and didn't look at all like his older sister). Years later, I had seen him a number of times, usually as the second or third comic on a bill and later on TV. Since he doesn't use his real last name (which is Szekely), I had absolutely no idea that he was the same guy until a couple years ago, when there was an article about him that mentioned his upbringing.

However, in terms of 'favorite standup comics,' no one has ever been better than Richard Pryor.

Stand up would be a tie between Steven Wright and Lewis Black. Movie comedians hands down, Peter Sellers. Being There is still my favorite movie after all these years.

Last edited:
Rodney Dangerfield without question tops my list.

"last time I saw mouth like that it had a hook in it"

The Dice Man (Andrew Dice Clay) is NOT funny.

The only comedian that ever made me laugh by putting a lot of obscenity in his act was the original, the one, the only George Carlin.

Mod Edit: His 7 Dirty Words routine set the bar that comedians still aspire to. Track it down on YouTube, but beware that it is NSFW or appropriate for young ears.

This. I never once found ADC to be mildly funny. His stint on Entourage further confirmed his lackluster appeal.

George Lindsey, who played Goober on Andy Griffith, was actually a standup comedian, and had some absolutely hilarious bits.

Another great one, at least for the first couple of years of his fame, was Sam Kinnison. The drugs and hype basically ruined him before killing him, but those first years of his career were golden. One of my favorite tv comedy bits is in Back to School, where Sam Kinnison plays a psychotic history professor who gives Rodney Dangerfield a history lesson about the Korean War.

Another great tv comedian is Randy Quaid. His and Chevy Chase's bits in the National Lampoon movies are classic.

Add my vote for Louis CK, at least on the American side.
On the British side - Billy Connolly, Eddie Izzard, Rowan Atkinson with a nod to old greats like Dave Allen, Les Dawson and Tommie Cooper (and Freddie Starr , 70s version).

Bill Hicks, who I discovered by accident on You Tube.

So sad he passed away.

On a side note, I hate Dennis Leary for being a rip-off artist.

If your a Bill Hicks fan you know what I'm talking about.

Top Bottom