Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might I ask a question about our BST forum?

Default Might I ask a question about our BST forum?

I suppose this could offend some people. However, I am also sure the comments left could offend people, too.

But, why is it that some members feel the need to post useless information and comments on every stinking BST thread/ item made? I've always wondered this. Furthermore, why do some folks deem it necessary to post negative things that will detract from the sale? If you have an issue or concern, PM the member. If it's an issue that will cause harm to another member (i.e., falsely describing something and asking wayyy too much) report the post so a mod can deal with it!

I browse these threads and scratch my head.

I'm not talking about if something is grossly over-priced and you reply to the thread about stuff.

Heck, I don't know.... Just scratching my head and venting.

For the most part comments on the BST help the forum as long as they are constructive.

I have in the past posted some items that were overpriced on my part due to my ignorance.

Some fellow B&B members pointed it out in a friendly and helpful manner.

With that information I adjusted my price to the market value.

However there were one or two posts that were bordering on being nasty.

My reaction was to ignore them and put the poster on my "Ignore List".
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David in Boston View Post
    For the most part comments on the BST help the forum as long as they are constructive.

I have in the past posted some items that were overpriced on my part due to my ignorance.

Some fellow B&B members pointed it out in a friendly and helpful manner.

With that information I adjusted my price to the market value.

However there were one or two posts that were bordering on being nasty.

My reaction was to ignore them and put the poster on my "Ignore List".

So long as it's helpful, yes. Helpfulness adds to the sale. Comments I speak of are either useless or detracting from the sale.

Images

Agreed, I appreciate reading comments on the reputation of the seller or the greatness of the product. Being new that helps me to judge whether this is a product I want or if I want to do business with this person. That being said; back and forth arguments about the price or 100 GLWS posts make me wish I could have those minutes of my life back.
    -Chris
    Forgive my spelling, most posts are made from my phone.

Images

Same reason you'll see 32 Hall of Fame threads pop up with a new comment from the same guy saying nothing but "Welcome!"
    It's just part of the B+B tradition to add friendly little comments, and some people don't bother to differentiate between BST and other forums when doing so.
    Just call me Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by PFP_Dad View Post
    Agreed, I appreciate reading comments on the reputation of the seller or the greatness of the product. Being new that helps me to judge whether this is a product I want or if I want to do business with this person. That being said; back and forth arguments about the price or 100 GLWS posts make me wish I could have those minutes of my life back.
    This is exactly what I'm referring to. I mean, at some point the banter needs to quit about the price in the thread and handled privately or via a mod. (Provided it is a pricing issue and members feel as though someone will be getting ripped off).

Comments about the item, especially those not listed in the sales thread are awesome if they help the seller that much more. For example, someone states the item is no longer in production, thus hard to find, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Go West Young Man View Post
    Same reason you'll see 32 Hall of Fame threads pop up with a new comment from the same guy saying nothing but "Welcome!"
    It's just part of the B+B tradition to add friendly little comments, and some people don't bother to differentiate between BST and other forums when doing so.
    Welcoming someone is a little different. I understand what you mean, though. Only saying "welcome" and to every post that pops up.

I don't expect this little thread to change any activity, just venting as it's frustrating to see people lose a sale due to useless comments posted or negativity posted when they have no idea of which they speak.

Images

If you feel that a B/S/T comment is inappropriate, why not report it? If the mods agree, they could remove it from the thread.
    gear | FAQ | google B&B | vendor search | shaving jazz
    "...freckled corporals who had but lately begun to shave..." C.S. Lewis, Perelandra

Images

Because every post in the BST forum counts as two towards your total post count.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AABCDS View Post
    Because every post in the BST forum counts as two towards your total post count.

Be sure to get your card punched, after every 10 posts you get one free!
    Just call me Chris.

Images

Be sure to get your card punched, after every 10 posts you get one free!
    Working on it! Don't rush me!

If it's someone you know, and it's a good deal, what's wrong with posting that it is one? There are a lot of newbies, I'm sure a lot don't know what's going on, saying "this is great for a newbie" maybe lets someone look for it for themselves or someone they know, and it also raises the post up (as in the first page, not your post count).

I do notice the over-priced items don't really get posts, and B&B members seem to help each other and sellers when there is a good priced item, it stays on top usually....

I haven't seen too many negative posts I don't think? I made one stupid post I wish I hadn't but for the most part I was hoping my posts would be helpful. I like to read when someone thinks it's a good deal if I don't know what the item is worth...

JMO...

Welcome to B&B!
    Good luck with the sale!
    Got pics?
    ~Mark K~

Images

Certainly, chit-chat isn't a good idea in the BST. Ungentlemanly comments are also not a good idea; there's enough snark in this world already.

While there is something to be said for the "send a friendly PM" on "pricing mistake" issues, there is no guarantee that the seller will act upon a PM that a puck of Tabac isn't worth $30 and reduce his price, and even if he does turn out to be willing to take some advice, there's no guarantee that a n00b won't stumble on his as-yet-unedited thread and think "Tabac only $30 ... that's good, right? YGPM!!"

As for clarifying questions ... well, you can do it by PM or post ... posts have the added benefit of being public, so the answers are there for others to read too, so the seller has to post the answer once rather than PM'ing the answer a bunch of times.

As long as people don't post "welcome" on a "FS: one puck Tabac" thread ...
    Be there or be square. Only I can do both!

"My lord, I will use them according to their desert."

"God's bodykins, man, much better: use every man
    after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping?"

Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-09

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pipskicks View Post
    If it's someone you know, and it's a good deal, what's wrong with posting that it is one? There are a lot of newbies, I'm sure a lot don't know what's going on, saying "this is great for a newbie" maybe lets someone look for it for themselves or someone they know, and it also raises the post up (as in the first page)
    JMO...
    only raises the thread backup if someone changes from the default view..
    --Jon. "Love me some 14s"

An occasional "Nice deal!" or similar post on something that hasn't received any notice I'm guilty of occasionally. It does bump it up if you are "new posts" viewer.
    -Ray
    Some may never live, but the crazy never die. -HST
    BOTOC Power!

Quote Originally Posted by xraygun View Post
    An occasional "Nice deal!" or similar post on something that hasn't received any notice I'm guilty of occasionally. It does bump it up if you are "new posts" viewer.
    I don't consider these actions "unhelpful". If I experience good customer service, on or off the forum, I tend to tell people. I'm the kind of guy who fills out comment cards

Images

reading thr comments are fun, however the BST will close its doors forever soon, soooo
    Steward in the B&B Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In forum - Click here for Hall Of Fame

I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can shave again.

Pottsylvania, near Whynchatakea Peak and Joisee
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alex2363 View Post
    reading thr comments are fun, however the BST will close its doors forever soon, soooo
    And you have insider info ???? I think not.
    Brian
    Let's leave Politics at the door ... and out of B&B !!!!!!

Please Support Badger and Blade Member of the B&B 2011 Rudy Vey LE Brush Buy (#3)
    Member of the B&B 2012 Rudy Vey LE Brush Buy (#3)
    Member of the B&B LE 2011 Edison Glenmont Pen Buy (#1)
    Member of the B&B LE 2012 Edison Herald Grande Pen Buy (#1)
    Member of the B&B ? buy

B&B Old Fogies Club.
    Punkin Fest time.... I'm there !!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brianw View Post
    And you have insider info ???? I think not.

Hanlon's razor:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.