What's new

Let's see your auto pistols.

I know a little bit about handguns, much less than you fellows probably. I don't have one yet, but have some ideas on what I want. I have shot quite a few though. Since this is a picture thread, I was wondering why so often pictures are taken with a object inserted through the trigger guard, e. g. a pen, marker, pencil, round, etc.

It's just so you can kinda stand the gun up and make it look a little more 3 dimensional so that you can see more of the curves of the gun than just a flat picture.

Last edited:
I've tried taking photos with stands and without. I can't make up my mind which appeals to me most. I guess without since more are taken that way.

Handguns are a big NO NO down here in New Zealand, I did shoot one when I lived in South Africa and can honestly say I loved every single shot, nothing like being able to shoot well with a 1911.

Not so Uncle B. You do have to apply for an endorsed license and join a pistol club but it is nothing too arduous (and certainly far easier than it is now in South Africa or Australia. No problem if you want a 1911 in 45ACP in NZ whereas you can't in Australia).
IPSC, Action / Speed, Black Powder, and ISSF (i.e. Olympic Style) all have keen followings. See http://www.pistolnz.org.nz/

Here's something a little different : my Feinwerkbau AW93 target pistol. It is German made but based on a Soviet-era Russian target pistol which was hand-made in limited numbers for their Olympic shooters. Feinwerkbau bought the design from the widow of one of its two designers and slightly altered it to make it more suitable for CNC machining and manufacture. It has some interesting features such as a moving barrel weight and buffer system as well as a slide which lifts slightly at the rear of its travel to counter the recoil lifting the front. Very accurate and built like a Swiss watch.

$AW93.jpg

Last edited:
It's interesting to see all the weapons here. To be perfectly honest, there are more polymer framed guns than I would have imagined for the user base of these forums. I've got a Glock 22 myself and love it, so that's more of an observation than a judgement.

I've got a Sig P226 'Elite,' which is a total blast to shoot. Other than the high prices (a $40 magazine? Give me a break), I wouldn't hesitate to own another Sig.
proxy.php

I'll post my Glock 22 (.40 caliber), simply because although it looks very similar to the other Glocks already posted it is a 'Gen 4' model. The difference is mostly in the grip, as you can see.
proxy.php

Here are a few of mine.

$pistols.jpg

Top row - Rohrbaugh 9mm, CZ Rami .40 with ironwood grips, CZ 50 (7.65)

Middle Row - CZ P40 (.40) with amboyna burl grips, Russian Makarov 9mm Mak, Griffon .45 with ironwood grips

Bottom Row - Ballester Rigaud .45, Sig P245 (.45)

Ron

Last edited:
It's interesting to see all the weapons here. To be perfectly honest, there are more polymer framed guns than I would have imagined for the user base of these forums. I've got a Glock 22 myself and love it, so that's more of an observation than a judgement.

I've got a Sig P226 'Elite,' which is a total blast to shoot. Other than the high prices (a $40 magazine? Give me a break), I wouldn't hesitate to own another Sig.
proxy.php

I'll post my Glock 22 (.40 caliber), simply because although it looks very similar to the other Glocks already posted it is a 'Gen 4' model. The difference is mostly in the grip, as you can see.
proxy.php

I love the Sig Elites with the 1911 beaver tail. I'd really love a P229 in .40. How are the ergonomics? Does it feel similar to a 1911 with the beaver tail?

Not so Uncle B. You do have to apply for an endorsed license and join a pistol club but it is nothing too arduous (and certainly far easier than it is now in South Africa or Australia. No problem if you want a 1911 in 45ACP in NZ whereas you can't in Australia).
IPSC, Action / Speed, Black Powder, and ISSF (i.e. Olympic Style) all have keen followings. See http://www.pistolnz.org.nz/

Here's something a little different : my Feinwerkbau AW93 target pistol. It is German made but based on a Soviet-era Russian target pistol which was hand-made in limited numbers for their Olympic shooters. Feinwerkbau bought the design from the widow of one of its two designers and slightly altered it to make it more suitable for CNC machining and manufacture. It has some interesting features such as a moving barrel weight and buffer system as well as a slide which lifts slightly at the rear of its travel to counter the recoil lifting the front. Very accurate and built like a Swiss watch.

View attachment 242603

That is very interesting. What is the caliber, .22?

proxy.php

I like my polymer framed guns for their light weight, I would love to have my Glock 22 back that I sold a few years ago. But I would also like to have a all steel .45 too. That is a very nice Sig too.

I love the Sig Elites with the 1911 beaver tail. I'd really love a P229 in .40. How are the ergonomics? Does it feel similar to a 1911 with the beaver tail?

Having never owned a 1911 (and therefore only using several that my buddies own), I'd say yes to an extent. The magazine is double stack, so the grip is a bit wider than your typical 1911. The triggers are quite different as well, with the DA/SA of the Sigs. The "Short Reset Triggers" that they use now are pretty darn nice, though.

Here's something a little different : my Feinwerkbau AW93 target pistol. It is German made but based on a Soviet-era Russian target pistol which was hand-made in limited numbers for their Olympic shooters. Feinwerkbau bought the design from the widow of one of its two designers and slightly altered it to make it more suitable for CNC machining and manufacture. It has some interesting features such as a moving barrel weight and buffer system as well as a slide which lifts slightly at the rear of its travel to counter the recoil lifting the front. Very accurate and built like a Swiss watch

Interesting, I did not know Fienwerkbau made firearms..
I have two of their air rifles, the first was a 124 sporter I bought in 1975, the second a model 300 recoilless match rifle, I picked up about 1987 or 88.
They make newer and more powerful models now, and a lot of the match models have gotten away from the spring air types, going to either pre charged or single stroke pneumatic, but the spring air is plenty accurate for my purposes.

The closest thing I have to that is a S&W Model 41, a field barrel which gives it a balance similar to my true 1911's. I also shoot a semi customized Colt Gold Cup, one in 45APC and another in 10mm auto. My other target auto is a Kimber Ultra Match.

Last edited:
Seeing that Ballester, makes me want ot kick myself in the butt yet again for not buying every one I saw back in teh 60's and 70's for $25 to $50 bucks apiece. HELL of a gun. WIsh I'd bought every Mexican 1911 in 38 Super I saw for about the same prices back then as well. They'll shoot rings around a 45ACP

That being said.

Here's a couple I like the most. My old Hi-Powr. This thing has been around the world and gotten my butt out of a sling on several occasions. Told the Missus to bury it with me.
proxy.php

This little "enhanced" Combat Commander is absolutely NO fun to shoot without the compensator on it. I've owned around 20 1911's, 1911A-1, and their clones over the years. NONE of them are as wormy to shoot as this thing. It recoils hard to the right and I've had it double with me on a couple of occasions just from it jerking around. I was ready to give it away and decided to try that compensator bushing on it. Makes it the same length as 1911 and a TOTALLY different gun. I LOVE it now. LOL
( crappy cell phone pic )
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Buy Mec-Gar mags. Factory mags for half the price.

Buy Mec-Gar mags. Factory mags for half the price.

I did end up with a Mec-Gar magazine for my third. The price they were asking for a factory magazine was unjustifiable. Doubly so because one of the magazines that came with the weapon needed its spring stretched so that it would lock the slide back after emptying it.

top left.. my ruger LCP in .380auto... LOVE this little rascal.. this photo is one of the very very few times it is out of my pocket *(except when i am at work... it waits for me in the car..)...
top right... my double stack 1911... it sleeps at bedside for home defense...
bottom left... my colt 1903 in .32auto... it was my constant companion before the LCP came along... i love this gun... it will be mine forever...
bottom right.. my taurus 24/7 in .45acp... this is a backup to the 1911 for home defense.. *(which both of them are just to buy my time till i get the 18" barrelled 12guage loaded with 00buck...)..
not pictured is a markI ruger in .22lr..... this is my fun gun......

proxy.php

These are the ones I own now. Of the ones I've gotten rid of, the one I wish I still had was my FN FiveseveN. That gun was amazing.

FNP40 USG Dark Earth

$PC210011.jpg

KelTec PF9 that I bought used, tore down, blued the barrel, sprayed with Brownell's Alumahyde II in coyote, upgraded the magazine release, guide rod, added a Northwoods aluminum trigger, new sights and frame pins.

$2012-03-31_10-27-08_561.jpg

Just for kicks, a 1901 Iver Johnson Hammerless Safety Automatic. I mean it says automatic right in the name, right? This was my great grandfathers pistol.

$2012-04-24_22-36-37_792.jpg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Bottom left Colt was Jimmy Darmody's gun, right?

top left.. my ruger LCP in .380auto... LOVE this little rascal.. this photo is one of the very very few times it is out of my pocket *(except when i am at work... it waits for me in the car..)...
top right... my double stack 1911... it sleeps at bedside for home defense...
bottom left... my colt 1903 in .32auto... it was my constant companion before the LCP came along... i love this gun... it will be mine forever...
bottom right.. my taurus 24/7 in .45acp... this is a backup to the 1911 for home defense.. *(which both of them are just to buy my time till i get the 18" barrelled 12guage loaded with 00buck...)..
not pictured is a markI ruger in .22lr..... this is my fun gun......

proxy.php

We need add to this thread so I'll post a photo of the right side of the Hi-Power I posted in the other thread.
proxy.php

Sure do like the pistols showing up on this page. That Feinwerkbau would be fun to take out for a spin, even if just plinking. Love the "old Hi-Power" shown above. What vintage is it? There's a cool Colt Model 1903 .32 ACP to admire too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom