What's new

Shoe Recommendations to replace BATES leather oxfords

So my bates are about wear through. they had a pretty good run (about 6 years somewhat infrequent use though) but its time to get something new. Now that I have become interested in buying a higher quality shoe the search for a plain toe black leather oxford is on. I have looked at Leeds online, but the only Allen Edmond's nearby is an outlet and they didn''t have any my size. I really dont want to spend a fortune on them but realize you have to pay for quality. The issue Iam running into is that I would like to try them on before buying and currently live in central NC where fine shoe stores arent something you can find just anywhere. I will be moving to Monterey CA in about two months, and it might be easier once I get out there. I suppose I could dig my patent leathers out of the deep dark hole i Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm a big AE fan. Are you set on the plain toe or would a captoe do? This isn't ideal, but considering where you are, since many online shoe sellers (zappos, shoe mart, even AE) have free shipping both ways, you can buy a bunch of pairs indifferent sizes and widths and return all but the one you want to keep. I see people do that a lot in other "fashion" forums.

AE fan here as well. Get them at Nordstrom's twice yearly sale and now and then when AE has a sale as well. AE is having their 90th Anniversary sale right now:
http://www.allenedmonds.com/?gclid=CPDcxNOiyq8CFRJlhwodiB90YA

You can order the size you think you need and return/exchange if need be. AE's fit pretty true to whatever your normal American size is, though most of their different models and lasts have a different fit and feel to them.

I am a fan of Park Avenue from Allen Edmonds. If you want something a tad bit more modern, take a look at Fifth Avenue from Allen Edmonds. I have both and love them. I am partial to the Park Avenue, though.

Nordstrom and Allen Edmonds have a sale every year to mark the Park Avenue's anniversary. They normally go for $335. During the sale, you can get them for $200.

I am a fan of Park Avenue from Allen Edmonds. If you want something a tad bit more modern, take a look at Fifth Avenue from Allen Edmonds. I have both and love them. I am partial to the Park Avenue, though.

Nordstrom and Allen Edmonds have a sale every year to mark the Park Avenue's anniversary. They normally go for $335. During the sale, you can get them for $200.

I just got my first pair of Allen Edmonds from Nordstroms yesterday (walnut calf Strands). I'm really happy with my purchase.

The clerk mentioned that sale in July. I believe it will be around the 20th. The OP might want to give them a call and find out exactly when. I'll be going back for a black pair.

If I could wear the Park Avenue with my uniform I would get it but it must be plain toe. I think Leeds would work just worried about the sizing. Any other suggestions? I think Loake has some but cant find any in wide sizes and surely cant try any on before buying.

I would take a look at Franceschetti - although I believe that they are only available at Barney's in the U.S. They are a great Italian boutique shoe maker, but use a lot of English values. Heavier leather, thicker stitching than what you would find in a Ferragamo or Prada. I bought two pairs last year and wear each pair regularly. They go on sale every so often at Barney's - typically July and December and you should be able to find a pair in the high $300s or low $400s. If that is not the right price range, then I completely agree with every other poster here - Allen Edmonds makes a great shoe.

so I thought I had found the answer, Bates now makes a "premium" leather oxford to sell with the brooks brothers service dress you can opt to buy. Unfortunately when they arrived the stiching was coming apart near the laces so needless to say I will be sending them back and getting a refund. I am considering the Provo by AE, any thoughts/experiences with it?

Thanks.

TripleT did you ever find any plain toe oxfords? I have been in the same pickle, I have to stay in regs with the dress shoes and I am not a fan of the "patent leather" of the bates I currently own because they scuff the sides and cannot be removed.

No I haven't yet. I found a post on ask andy about clothes discussing it but still haven't decided on what to buy. I am kind of torn on what I should get because I am in the Navy and I know that the leather soles will get demolished by the nonskid on the ships. But it certainly looks nicer to have the leather sole. I will probably get either the provo or leeds by AE.

so I thought I had found the answer, Bates now makes a "premium" leather oxford to sell with the brooks brothers service dress you can opt to buy. Unfortunately when they arrived the stiching was coming apart near the laces so needless to say I will be sending them back and getting a refund. I am considering the Provo by AE, any thoughts/experiences with it?

Thanks.

I have no experience with the Provo, but its not recraftable (I didn't know if that mattered) and has a rubber sole. I am personally a bigger fan of leather soles as they wear in nice and become very comfortable.

One thing I forgot to mention originally, but you can email the Shoe Bank ([email protected]) and see if there are seconds in the Leeds in your size. They usually are at least $100 cheaper. I have a couple of seconds and I don't notice any difference between them and firsts.

So I finally decided on the AE sutter. I was trying on a pair of Players shoes and turned around and I saw these on the rack. They did not have my size but they were the same last and cut the same I went ahead and ordered them. They arrived today and I love them. Its gonna take some time getting the mirror shine on them but I am extremely happy with the purchase. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a better pair of shoes to wear with their uniform.

proxy.php
proxy.php
looks like i'm late responding and that you've found what you're looking for. But, i'll be the lone voice of dissent and recommend the Alden balmoral cap toe shell cordovans from theshoemart.com. they fit me like a glove and are really puuurty to look at

Top Bottom