What's new

New Baystate Blue advisory by Richard Binder

I've found BSB to be one of the bluest blues I've ever used and it's has some nice properties, especially water resistant, that most blues do not have. I take field notes with one of my other hobbies and the ink's water resistance on a damp, drippy day is a big plus. It will stain pens and that is why I'll use it in a $25 Ahab and not in a $400 Duofold.

Just like the discussions of soaps, blades and all the stuff with wet shaving, inks and pens can become very personal and what works for me isn't necessarily going to work for the next guy.

Enjoy your pen and ink and enjoy your shave.

As a member of both B&B and FPN and a wet shaver and fountain pen user for over 50 years each, I feel qualified, but not an expert, in both media. I really like my Noodler's inks and feel Nathan is doing a wonderful job. Bay State Blue is a great ink. I use it in an Ahab and have not had any problems with this combination. Will I use it in one of my Parker Duofolds? No way...

Glad to hear it. I am thinking of getting a bottle and dedicating my Ahab to that once the purchasing sabbatical is over but the Ahab is my "expensive" pen.

Old news, Mr. Binder is entitled to his opinion. The thing with Noodlers Baystate Blue is it has roughly the same PH level as Sailor Jentle inks. Currently I have BSB in my Pelikan M200 and it has not melted on my desk yet.

Having lost a pen (a cheap Hero 616) to the ink, I don't think it's simply a matter of pH. I think it's an issue with a chemical in the ink becoming reactive with certain plastics. While issues with BSB would constitute old news in general, the Pilot advisory was brand spanking new as of the post. It was that specific information I hoped would become widely known, not because I want people to be required to do anything but because I think people ought to know everything they can about the risk they may be taking. As long as people who choose to use it in a Vanishing Point or something else know, I have no issue with people taking an informed risk.

Any tips for cleaning Baystate Blue out of a pen to make it safe to use with another ink? I had read somewhere that rubbing alcohol worked well for getting stains out of a sink and gave that a try last night on the sink, which took a long time, but ultimately worked well. I'm hesitant, though, to run rubbing alcohol through a pen to try cleaning it, but maybe that wouldn't be an issue. If it matters, the pen is a Pilot Prera. Any tips?

Flush, flush, and flush again. When you're sure you've got it all, flush another couple of times for good measure. I use BSB, but not in everything, it's important to remember that it's a highly saturated ink that is *very* wet. So, it's prone to staining and nib creep. Plus, it gets everywhere in a pen.

I've found BSB to be one of the bluest blues I've ever used and it's has some nice properties, especially water resistant, that most blues do not have. I take field notes with one of my other hobbies and the ink's water resistance on a damp, drippy day is a big plus. It will stain pens and that is why I'll use it in a $25 Ahab and not in a $400 Duofold.

Just like the discussions of soaps, blades and all the stuff with wet shaving, inks and pens can become very personal and what works for me isn't necessarily going to work for the next guy.

Enjoy your pen and ink and enjoy your shave.

Yeah, it really can stain. Oddly enough, I find it one of the easier inks to wash off my hands. It binds well with cellulose, but not with keratin.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I find it one of the easier inks to wash off my hands.
+1. I had an unfortunate accident, and spilled about a quarter ounce of Noodler's Black Eel on my hand. It was still visible 4 days later, and after multiple scrubbing with Lava (as recommended by Vincent Vega :001_smile)

Top Bottom