What's new

Queen Charlotte Soaps (QCS) "Basilica" or "Esquire" Shaving Soap

I was wondering if any of you have tried QCS "Basilica" or "Esquire" shaving soaps and would be able to provide feedback.

As of yet, I have not yet tried any QCS and so I'm trying to decide on my first order and wanted to choose a nice scent.

Also, as "Basilica" is frankincense and myrrh based, does anyone know how it compares to the "Frankincense and Myrrh" soap by Mama Bear?

Obviously, YMMV, but I do value all input, thanks in advance.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
First off, QCS is one of my very favorite products--ease of lathering, lather and shave quality, and after shave skin feel is simply tremendous. My favorite scent is their Green Irish Tweed, and I enjoy using that year-round.

I cannot help you with a comparison to the F&M soap by Mama Bear, as I have not tried the MB in that scent. But I love the QCS Basilica. I am Catholic and I have found a church in downtown Chicago I go to often which uses incense at every Sunday Mass. This is very old-school, but I have always loved the smell of church incense ever since I was an altar boy waaaay back when (I'd dating myself, but prayers at the foot of the altar were in Latin...yikes!). But, Basilica is a scent I simply do not find myself reaching for in warm weather, it is definitely a fall/winter scent for me. Not everybody feels this way about scents, some guys simply don't get the 'seasonality' of our scent preferences, but I throw that out there for your consideration.

The Esquire is hard to describe, but it is very popular with QCS fans. Like several of their other scents, the Esquire recipe contains mysore Sandalwood, and I have discovered I am not a big sandalwood fan, so it is not one of my favorites. Of the QCS scents, I prefer the Provence or Queen Charlotte. Obviously, sandalwood fans will disagree, and they consistently rate the QCS as world-class sandalwood, so Esquire may be right up your alley.

I suggest you get some samples. Sample the creams, not the soaps (their creams are really soft soaps, not creams like the British stuff), scoop a little out and mash it in the bottom of a bowl with your thumb with just a dash of water (1/8th teaspoon). You need not bowl lather it, if you are a face latherer, but load it into the brush after mashing it in the bowl, keeping it fairly dry, then add water on your face. QCS is one of the best all-around performers out there.

I placed my first order with QCS two weeks ago ordering the Vostok Shave Cream. My packaged arrived within 3 days of placing my order and the quality of the shave cream is outstanding. I was also given a small sample of Key Lime shave cream and have really enjoyed combining the two for my early morning shaves. I am confident that which ever of the two scents that you might choose they will be just as QCS has described. Click on Shaving Soap and at the bottom of the page is the Shaving Soap Samples for $10 which allows you to to choose 5 different fragrance shave soaps each a fourth-ounce cut in a wedge shape like a pie slice. You can also do 5 different samples of shaving cream. Each container is filled with a 1/2 ounce of shaving cream which it only takes an almond size amount for great lather. The cost for the Shaving cream samples is $15.

Greet Irish Tweed is the next QCS i'll buy. i've heard only great things about it and i wish i had ordered it with my sampler.

i love my Briar and Tangerine (creams) and have had samplers of a few that were also very impressive, Key Lime & Cayman....Hanami is still waiting to be used and has a nice fruity/sweet smell to it.

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Mmmmmmm. QCS Green Irish Tweed is, without doubt, my all-time favorite shaving lather product, bar none! I think you will like it Bruce. It is not as over-the-top and in-your-face as the old Irish Spring soap from back in the day, it is much more refined. Very delicious.

I had a sampler of the Basilica soap: woody, incense/frankincense scent. I liked it. For that type of woody scent I think I prefer AOS sandalwood.
I still have the Esquire cream-I like it-it's definitely a classy and unique scent. It's hard to describe-think pine, rosin, sandalwood and maybe even lime notes. It reminds me a little bit of-and I mean this in the best possible way-pure gum turpentine! (I should mention I studied art in school and have an affinity for this scent).
In any case for me personally, I consider both of these 2 fall/winter scents....with a big grain of YMMV.

Funny this thread came up I'm actually putting together a QCS order now for some bath and shampoo soap and debating whether to get a full puck of the Esquire or not. I might just get some more samples before I commit, as I already have 20 soaps/sticks in my stash. Think I'll try that Green Irish Tweed :idea:

Last edited:
QCS, like everybody else has voiced, in simply wonderful stuff. The Basilca is woody, incensey, with a bit of a pine note (to me) - very pleasant. The Esquire is a little more on the cologne-side of things, and rather floral. A great performer, but I did not find the scent agreeable. Highly recommend QCS though, and if you like Basilica I HIGHLY recommend the Frankincense one too!

So if I'm going with a sampler, what are some recommended scents which are subtle and suitable for sensitive skin?

Well since you have sensitive skin I would recommend QCS Lavender as it works well for people who have sensitive skin issues. These other recommendations are just based upon my personal interest Green Irish Tweed, Queen Charlotte, Hanami, and Monaco.

The Basilica "croap" is wonderful stuff. Resinous frankincense (incense and a little pine sap), heady myrrh...oddly enough, sometimes when I'm lathering it, I get a Dr. Pepper vibe.

I also have the Old Spice soap and the Lavender "croap." All three perform wonderfully. The Old Spice smells like the cologne, not the aftershave, but it's made with fragrance oil(s) so it may not be best for sensitive skin. The Lavender is a nice, herbaceous lavender scent, very true to the real deal.

None of the QCS products have caused irritation for me. MWF and Arko both did.

Another one here who will say Esquire is difficult to decribe. I can say that it is subtle (at least the batch mine came from) and very smooth. I've been done my tub of it for a while now, but I do recall it being one of my favourites out of key lime, lavender, monaco (my fave) and vostok.

Top Bottom