What's new

Blade Replacement: Keeping Track of number of shaves

I've mentioned this before, but I have a spreadsheet on google docs to keep track of shaves on a blade. I use all of my razors, and keep all of them loaded and ready to shave, so the spread sheet keeps track of the madness. Only takes a few seconds a day to update and I can jot down my impressions of a particular razor/blade combo. Fairly "retentive", I know, but it works for me! :001_tongu:

I have a razor and blade journal,I just write it down.I have 10 razors that I use and keeping track of the blades can be a hassle.I have a 3 and out rule for the blades,except SE's,they usually go for 7.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I replace my Shark SC blades (no need to extend the life...their cheap anyway), after two (2) shaves.
proxy.php

Also, there is positive correlation between sharp blades vs.dull in regard to ingrown hairs.

attachment.php
“A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened on a piece of velvet”. Author Unknown

Last edited:
I replace the blade every 3 to 4 shaves. I keep track by saving the paper that the razor was rapped in. The wrapper has 4 folds, I just tear a fold off after each shave. Works great!

That's sort of what I do. I keep the wrapper on the shelf under my OS mug and after each shave put a diagonal tear on a corner. I use a single razor for the most part, and if I do try another it's for at least the three shaves I get out of a blade.

I do like the dice idea, but my wife or kids would probably mess with it since I use the shared medicine cabinet.

I'd love to say that I have 7 of the same razors on each of which I write "1", "2", "3" and so on, and then simply transfer the same blade onto the next numbered razor. I think this would be the easiest if one didn't have the freakish powers of iancj1 and kingfisher :)

I will use a blade 4 times. To keep track of this I have 4 creams and/or soaps in my rotation. When I use a soap or cream I put it in the cabinet. When there is only one left, after that shave I clean the razor and replace the blade.

I use a blade three times then dispose. as I feel due to the density of my whiskers they're just not as effective after the third, I shave daily so it's very easy to remember how many uses I've had.

I guess I'm lucky as a good blade will last six to seven days. Sunday is new blade day. Being born redheaded gave me thick but sparser follicles so a blade seems to last longer than most peoples.

I only have one razor loaded at a time and get four or five shaves out of most blades. I just change my blade on Wednesdays and Sundays.

You could use a six-sided die placed next to your shaving gear, and rotated to the next number after every shave.

I use a blade three times then dispose. as I feel due to the density of my whiskers they're just not as effective after the third, I shave daily so it's very easy to remember how many uses I've had.
I do the same but rotate my razors with the same blade

Top Bottom