OK,, I goofed on the title, it's HORN,, but now I can't seem to correct my blunder!
I did this piece this evening sort of at Hig's request as he has a twin to it and he said he'd like to see how it comes out. Well Hig, here it is.
Thoughtfully ( cough, cough) ,someone at sometime did a bit of grinding on the blade. Since I had to remove their grinding marks, ( check the depth of the Doozies on the back of the blade!) and the majority of a design ,save for a small flourish at the toe of the blade was gone, I decided to remove what was left. I ended up with a nice smooth finish. Care had to be taken of course not to loose any of the crispness of the lines of the work on the spine , shoulders, or mark while fixing the blade and rust on the spine.
Since the scales were shot and I strayed from it being pure stock, I changed the scales from being black horn to building a set with a warm translucent brown with dark streaks running though it. It may be difficult to see on the photos, but with the brass,, the warmth of the color,, it looks quite nice in person. The shots read it as being much darker than it really is. I did though use the original metal wedge,,, Wheee! And I did match the exact shape, curves and thickness of the originals. So these could pass.
I also made up some stacked washers for it since it is a more decorative looking blade and thought it would be a nice accent. This blade didn't have them , but they look pretty close to an original stacked type washer.
And the finish on the blade itself looks nice reflecting the print in a phone book. I enjoyed building this piece.
Hig, if you're reading this ,, I hope you like it as well.
Before shots here and afters in the second post.