What's new

Looking for my first rifle: .22lr vs .22mag

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh, and do NOT, do NOT experiment with homemade suppressors with the subsonic .22 rounds. First of all it is illegal, and second, anything that much fun must be immoral, too. With a lever or bolt gun, it is REALLY quiet. From 100 yards away, you might not even be able to hear it. Too sneaky for me. Who wants to have an indoor basement firing range, anyway? It's just WRONG. Don't do it. Even though it is fun and fascinating and all. Resist the urge. You will go to hell for doing anything that cool, I would imagine. The washers and welding rods and steel wool and pipe will cost you an arm and a leg. I don't know how to do it and I don't want to know and you shouldn't even be the slightest bit curious if you know what's good for you. Steer clear of websites that show you how to do it, and never ever read books from Palladin Press and other publishers on how to make a .22 silencer. It will corrupt your morals and use up all your free time that you could be spending mowing the lawn or painting the kitchen or fixing the roof or cleaning out your sewer line. Just sayin.

So, how many silencers have you built so far? :001_smile

you can buy a suppressor legally if you buy the $200 tax stamp and fill out the paperwork... it is really quite simple....

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
you can buy a suppressor legally if you buy the $200 tax stamp and fill out the paperwork... it is really quite simple....

True, but some states add a bit of hassle to the process. Check your local gun laws. I might be wrong but I think some states simply prohibit them altogether. Don't quote me on that. I will google it when I get the chance.

in Florida it is. we have less gun regulation than Texas!

Suppressors are covered under the NFA legislation of 1934 which is the same regulations that cover machine guns.

State laws do not apply to machine guns, suppressors, short barreled shot guns and rifles, and explosive devices.

Yeah $200 plus the price of the suppressor. I looked into getting one for my Ruger .22 pistol. It sure would be sweet to have one on my 10/22 too. I have a Marlin .22 mag that my grandfather left me and if I had to choose between buying either I would go with the 10/22. They are just plain fun to shoot. I once had a 10/22 target and that was a accurate little gun out of the box. I like coyote hunting with my Mag but that's about all it gets used for. You can buy .22 ammo by the truck load for cheap too and Mag ammo is kinda pricey for the ballistic tips.

Some states outright ban them, so yes, state laws 'do' apply in the 'can I get one?' category.

For .22s, i'd recommend a Marlin bolt action to start. Develops good habits. A Ruger 10/22 is a good all-around .22.

In the AR-styled .22's the M&P15/22 is the only one which actually works exactly like an AR (same controls, etc) and disassembles almost the same. If you shoot bulk-pack ammo it will sometimes malfunction but overall, they run well. I've put about a thousand through one doing drills rapid fire and they have no issues. Accuracy out to 50m is fine for my purposes (training).

Why not just get the Sako Quad and do it all? If I were to get another .22 that would be it. Right now I have a savage bolt 22 and a browning buckmark.

What would be considered "top quality" .22lr ammo?
Eley, CCI in most any flavor other than a bulk-pack, Federal and Remington make some "match" loads as well. Generally, "high performance" is denoted by less wax bullet lube, a better, more consistent primer, and higher QC on bullet weight/diameter.

I would suggest the 10/22 as well, simply because you can build it into whatever you want it to be, as you gain experience with it.
Tactical Innovations http://www.tacticalinc.com/ makes what is probably the best 10/22 hi-cap mag currently available, tho' Black Dog machine has a decent rep as well.

Thanks again for all the input.

If I was to go with the 10/22 how much money should I expect to spend making it a acuarate/ reliable shooter (I would keep it reasonable and not go crazy)? And what would be the natural progression of parts to get for it? Barrel...trigger...etc

Thanks

The .22 Long Rifle is the best choice. If the 10/22 is chosen then by all means a good trigger is first and foremost in importance. All the other stuff is wasted effort if the trigger pull is "yuck."

Anybody that says a Ruger 10/22 is a jamomatic has an agenda; probably a sales rep using B&B as an advertising channel. A Ruger 10/22 is solid and accurate. Unless you want to do serious match shooting, the Ruger 10/22 is the way to go for a 22. Way more fun than a bolt action. And there are a lot of after market conversion kits for the 10/22.

Another good choice is to go with a 17
Hornady Magnum Rimfire. Way better (faster and flat shooting) than a 22 mag and the ammo is cheap. Savage makes an excellent bolt action for less than $300.
I am confident that if you polled shooters that have used a Ruger 10/22, they would not call it a "jamomatic". Ridiculous!!

Suppressors are covered under the NFA legislation of 1934 which is the same regulations that cover machine guns.

State laws do not apply to machine guns, suppressors, short barreled shot guns and rifles, and explosive devices.

Well....that's not TOTALLY correct. do a quick read (as it is far too long to post here) of Florida Statute 790.001; it addresses all of those aforementioned weapons

that statute just defines them...

Yes, and if you delve deeper into the additional chapters of FS 790, you will see what the ramifications are if you get caught in possession of said items.

The original response was to this post:

"State laws do not apply to machine guns, suppressors, short barreled shot guns and rifles, and explosive devices.
Believe me, in Florida, State Laws apply PLENTY to these goodies

Top Bottom