What's new

My second restore - EverReady 650 solid handle

Wow! That's pretty nice, drawings and all. Good job!

Thanks. I find Drawings helped with seeing the visual effect of various loft heights. As you can see I have 44mm, 49mm, 54mm lines. It ended up at around 49mm. It is a really, really cool brush. This knot is almost too soft in the tips. Kid of feels like a fine sponge on the face, not bristles. The backbone is very good. All in all a brush to rival some big names I think. Very high quality knot. So far it shed like one or two hairs and that was during the installation, initial cleaning and general adjustments. I have shaved twice with it now and not a single hair has come off. I am still not sure if I like the feel of this kind of brush. It is very luxurious and soft and super dense, but I am still finding myself wanting to use Wee Scot or a boar brush I have. In fact I am getting more and more hooked on boar and I think will try to get one that's higher end than my inexpensive Omega 10275 (which I love).

This knot is almost too soft in the tips. Kind of feels like a fine sponge on the face, not bristles.

That is how I feel about the TGN short lofted best badger. Doesn't feel like a brush. Feels like a round ball of soft foam or something.

I wasn't aware of the Finest being black badger with treated tips. Had I known, I might have steered clear fearing prickly tips. I has anything but prickly tips!

That is how I feel about the TGN short lofted best badger. Doesn't feel like a brush. Feels like a round ball of soft foam or something.

I wasn't aware of the Finest being black badger with treated tips. Had I known, I might have steered clear fearing prickly tips. I has anything but prickly tips!

Yes, this knot is SOFT! The backbone is excellent, though. I guess that's where they were going with Pure Black Badger with treated tips. Still, an awesome brush.

If I'm not mistaken (and please correct me if I am), the TGN Finest is black badger with treated tips -- that's why it has such tremendous backbone with velvety soft tips.

I've never heard that opinion before...on what are you basing that assumption? TGN is pretty straight-forward about their knots; for example, they disclose that their "Super Badger" knots are treated silvertip badger.

I've never heard that opinion before...on what are you basing that assumption? TGN is pretty straight-forward about their knots; for example, they disclose that their "Super Badger" knots are treated silvertip badger.

That was definitely an assumption on my part based on the look and feel of the hair. I should have researched two-band hair before posting, but I did ask to be corrected if what I thought was indeed wrong. I certainly wasn't accusing TGN of doing anything sneaky, and it wouldn't matter to me if it was treated black badger as I am quite fond of my two-band brushes and TGN knots in general.

Mea culpa.

No sweat, ras...I was just wondering if you had some new or additional information that hadn't been mentioned here before. Like you, I loves me TGN Finest knots! :punk:

No sweat, ras...I was just wondering if you had some new or additional information that hadn't been mentioned here before. Like you, I loves me TGN Finest knots! :punk:

This sure is a very good knot. Top quality. Has not shed a single hair after the assembly work. Just a super high quality knot. It does look as though the tips are treated to soften them, though. Only my speculation here, but the white part of the bristle is way too small. The two band knots usually have longer and a bit more brownish light part. Again, I have no idea how these TGN knots are produced, but they look different than the two bands I have seen. Regardless, it is a top notch knot of very high quality. It is super-dense. Almost too dense. I've only shaved with it a few times and it lathers like a monster, and feels very pollowy on the face. I actually prefer a bit scrubbier brush, so I haven't really put this brush through its paces. I am even toying with an idea of trading/selling it. But it is just so cool that I am not sure I want to do it.

I wanted to update this thread since I have used the brush fairly regularly for a few weeks now and it has settled into its own character. I would like to state right off the bat that this brush came out better than I could have hoped for and it has become one of my favorite brushes. At first I really was a bit disappointed with its feel. It felt like a soft sponge, not like a brush. I even tried selling it, but it didn't sell very quickly and in the meantime I used it and it lost the sponginess as it loosened up a bit and has just developed the most wonderful character. It is still very soft and very dense, but it's now so much more pleasant and feels very soft, but scrubby with great backbone. It lathers like a monster. I face lather and that's what I created this brush for and it excels at face lathering. I am sure it will bowl lather too, but I just don't do it that often. As the knot loosened up and let go of the epoxy oils and masking tape glue that was on the hairs at first from assembly it just blossomed into an incredible brush. I was going for a bigger Wee Scot and I am not sure if I quite achieved that, but I definitely achieved a worthy stable mate to the venerable Wee. This brush is as scrubby and as soft, it lathers like crazy and dries very fast. It is not huge, about 98mm end to end, very weighty as the handle is solid plastic, not hollow. It has a very, very nice feel to it. Just a perfect little brush. I highly recommend TGN finest, but do let it break in over a week or so before making judgements on it.

Always nice to read these success stories. Congratulations.

Thanks! I really was bummed out at first after I finished the brush. I knew it was an awesome brush, but I just thought it's not my cuppa with that feel. After a week or so it transformed and became absolutely amazing. I am very happy with it.

Top Bottom