What's new

Houston guy here

Was visiting my grandmother this weekend, and she gave me one of my grandfather's old DE's. It appears to be a Gillette Knack. It's a TTO with a blue plastic handle. It cleaned up really nicely, and I plan on giving it a shot tomorrow morning. I'll tell you guys how it went.

Was visiting my grandmother this weekend, and she gave me one of my grandfather's old DE's. It appears to be a Gillette Knack. It's a TTO with a blue plastic handle. It cleaned up really nicely, and I plan on giving it a shot tomorrow morning. I'll tell you guys how it went.

What an easy razor to shave with. It felt much different than my EJ89. All the weight is in the head. i'm sure I still prefer my EJ89, but I'll be using this sometimes. I think i't be fun to pass it on to my little brother who turns 19 in a month. I want to get him into wet shaving because he gets pretty bad skin irritation.

popped in an Astra blade this morning! Such a great shave! Very minimal irritation, and i got a bbs shave on my face, but I'm still taking a bit easy on my neck. I actually did a 3 pass for the first time today and went ATG on the last pass.

I'm thinking Astra is going to be my go-to blade. We'll see. My facial hair is so thick and coarse I'm thinking I'll enjoy the feathers when i get to them.

Tried out a Crowley and Tosh Silvertip brush yesterday. It was only $70 at British Isles here in Houston. So far, I like it. It's much softer than my AoS pure badger brush, and lathers up well.

$SilverTipBadger.jpg

Welcome to B&B! Like you, I started out wetshaving with TAoS products and their pure badger brush. Like you, I also purchased the EJ89 Barley for my first DE razor. Like you, I started acquiring more products extremely quickly as it became a fun hobby vs. a pain in the neck :)

Those Astra's seem to get a lot of love from the members of this board. I like them. I was a bit hesitant to try the Feathers because they're labeled "ninja assasains" but don't be. Just go slow. You'll be pleasantly surprised with your EJ as it's a mild razor and when paired with a sharp blade like the Feather it works very well. I also like the Personna Lab Blue's and the Astra's. Derby's have not worked for me...and I'm thinking that's because its a mild blade with a mild razor = not a good pairing.

I wish someone had told me prior to pick up some Alum and Witch Hazel. Sounds like you may have...try it out. After your rinse, apply the Alum. Let it dry. Throw some WH on. Let it dry. Apply your AOS AS and your good to go.

You may have gotten into it to save some $ and get better shaves but I can almost promise it's gonna result in you getting better shaves and well...you'll figure it out! Enjoy it!

Tried out a Crowley and Tosh Silvertip brush yesterday. It was only $70 at British Isles here in Houston. So far, I like it. It's much softer than my AoS pure badger brush, and lathers up well.

View attachment 243745

I think I bought a less expensive version of the same brush from British Isles today. Just got into DE shaving myself and found this thread while searching for any other references to this hidden gem of a store in Houston. When the lady there opened up that glass case I was like a kid in a candy store! Lots of different brushes/razors/blades/stands to choose from! They also had several TTO's that I had not seen before....look just like my '50's Gillette Super Speeds but I don't think they were Weishis.

Anyone visiting Houston should go check them out. Looking forward to trying my new brush tomorrow.

Nice to find a fellow Houstonian out here in the forum. Live in West U myself.

There is a review section for razor blades and you can see which razors are considered top by the community. Try to get a sampler pack that has most of the top reviewed blades. For razor itself, you can't go wrong with Merkur HD.

Welcome to B&B!

Top Bottom