What's new

The Gillette "New", the Muhle R89 Grande or the Merkur "1904": Which should I get?

The three razors on my "To buy" list are the Gillette "New", the Muhle R89 Grande and the Merkur "1904".

I'm trying to figure out which one I should get first. Can you guys help me out? I want a razor that is fairly non-aggressive; I'm pretty sure that all of the above razors fit the bill.

Hmmm......I'm biased....get the NEW...the R89 is very mild and same razor as the Edwin Jagger DE89, which you can find for much less money. The 1904 OC is a very under rated razor and gives great bang for the buck.

Problem is you will get a hundred answers and which is "best". Only you can decided, as every face and beard type is different. You would be best to buy them all, and sell of what you don't like....or you may like them all and have began your long journey of RAD

Problem is you will get a hundred answers and which is "best".

Yes he gave the worst advice :001_tongu but all joking aside this is good advice, but I've realized this is completely true in questions these specific, all those razors have their followers, and all their followers will advise you to buy the ones they like obviously.

I don't have any of those, but I will say this, I have the Merkur 34C, find it very mild, but the handle is not "too short" it just seems a bit short to me since I've used the Merkur 180 long handle a few times. Seeing as the 1904 is smaller than the Merkur 34C/HD I'm wondering if it may be a little small/light....

But this is me, I don't know if you'd like a heavier/lighter or bigger/smaller razor or not.
Do you know your preferences as to handle width and length?

I would prefer the NEW or the 1904 to the R89. The R89 is a gorgeous piece of kit, to be sure, but I get better shaves from my NEW. In fact, I ended up selling my R89 on the B/S/T.

I have these:

Merkur 1904 CC
Merkur 45 bakelite
Gillette Slim
Parker 22r
Pureman prototype

Of these my absolute favourite is the 42C followed by the Slim.

Gives close shaves with no patches.

The three razors on my "To buy" list are the Gillette "New", the Muhle R89 Grande and the Merkur "1904".

I'm trying to figure out which one I should get first. Can you guys help me out? I want a razor that is fairly non-aggressive; I'm pretty sure that all of the above razors fit the bill.

You didn't mention it but the all Stainless Steel Weber DLC BullDog is as gentle as a newborn kitten yet somehow ruthlessly obliterates whiskers.It's ridiulously forgiving,gives a great shave every single time.There's other razors I like for different reasons but I feel more confident suggesting the Weber than anything else.

The Merkur 1904 OC or Model 41 is in my top four razors, that being said, the NEW is also in my top four. I had weighed some of my razors over the weekend that thread can be found here.

I am not sure my people think that the model 41 is "light", at 65.5 grams and a handle length of 3 inches, it is heavier than 2011 and 2010 Mühle R41's, the Gillette NEW's, or the Gillette Old Types.

My approach to this hobby is to have fun and buy what your eye likes, who care about brand names, how old an item is, or if receives the most amount of buzz.

Well said Daniel.

The Merkur 1904 OC or Model 41 is in my top four razors, that being said, the NEW is also in my top four. I had weighed some of my razors over the weekend that thread can be found here.

I am not sure my people think that the model 41 is "light", at 65.5 grams and a handle length of 3 inches, it is heavier than 2011 and 2010 Mühle R41's, the Gillette NEW's, or the Gillette Old Types.

My approach to this hobby is to have fun and buy what your eye likes, who care about brand names, how old an item is, or if receives the most amount of buzz.

Top Bottom