What's new

Sad tale of Sabatier abuse, abandoned Alligator, Help wanted,

Dave contacted me. He does beautiful work, but I think his time may be too valuable to be within my means. Anyone else have another recommendation?

Some #0000 steel wool and mineral oil will solve the most urgent problem (rust on the blase). Some fine sandpaper (maybe 300ish) will settle down the grain on the handles.

Treat gently until you recover the patina on the blade and you should be good to go.

For bonus points, you could treat the handles to a wax or oil finish.

Here's what they did to some of my vintage carbon Sabatiers:
View attachment 236749
Yeah, these obviously go in the dishwasher.

i have read through this thread a couple of times in disbelief... but i wanted to comment on this ...

on a day to day encounter of people about knives, the ordinary person i don't think has a clue to hand wash and dry knives.. they truly don't even think twice about it, not even a moral dilemma, it's just not a thought...

even at home, i have to remind my wife not to throw knives them in the dishwasher and she does it anyway... so I bought her her own set that can withstand that abuse...

one of my next project is to make some handles for some older knives.. probably not for a while though...

I chose my kitchen knives intending to dishwash them. The actually hold their edges fairly well (farberware, if you wonder)

It is crime to see such wonderful blades treated like that however.

My problem with such awe inspiring cutlery is I would never use it because it requires the added care!

Now, if you have yourself some gumption and hands-on know how, getting yourself some awesome stabilized burl, or other beautiful material, sawing it with a scroll saw, band saw or by hand with a coping saw, fitting, and fastening is less tricky than many let on. It is careful and time consuming, especially if you are using less advanced tooling options, or it is your first project of this nature.

Phil

Dave contacted me. He does beautiful work, but I think his time may be too valuable to be within my means. Anyone else have another recommendation?

I'm sorry that I can't help but maybe I can point you in some other people's direction. Give me a shout if you'd like to talk options.

I'm sorry that I can't help but maybe I can point you in some other people's direction. Give me a shout if you'd like to talk options.
If nothing else, could you at least post some advice in public about what First Aid actions the OP might be able to take at home to save the blades from further deterioration? The handles and rivets are obviously goners, but the blades themselves need immediate attention to prevent further damage.

And I'm sure there are many others on this forum that could benefit from this sort of advice.

Thanks.

If nothing else, could you at least post some advice in public about what First Aid actions the OP might be able to take at home to save the blades from further deterioration? The handles and rivets are obviously goners, but the blades themselves need immediate attention to prevent further damage.

And I'm sure there are many others on this forum that could benefit from this sort of advice.

Thanks.

Sure I love to talk knives. :a44:

I'd use Flitz on the blades, tang, and rivets. Removing the active rust (red stuff) is key. When this is done coat the blades with oil and maybe even soak the handles in mineral oil for a bit as well. That's about all you can do without getting it repair work.

Top Bottom