What's new

My first hand made straight.

Thanks Haiku. I appreciate the kind words.

Thanks also to a great member here, who can come forward if he chooses to, my razor has a nice new home. I was sent a coticule box and with a few minor modifications my razor fit's in it very nicely. I added hinges, a latch, and some felt covered foam. I will replace the latch with something better. The one that is on there is a p.i.t.a... I went through three of them trying to get this one on, and I'm still not happy with how it is on there. I'll see what the hardware store has one of these days.So, here are the pics.

$Finished straight box 001.jpg$Finished straight box 002.jpg

Thanks Haiku. I appreciate the kind words.

Thanks also to a great member here, who can come forward if he chooses to, my razor has a nice new home. I was sent a coticule box and with a few minor modifications my razor fit's in it very nicely. I added hinges, a latch, and some felt covered foam. I will replace the latch with something better. The one that is on there is a p.i.t.a...

That looks great, perfect fit, almost like it was made for it.

Dude....

You made art!.... I would so cherish that.. I love the "faux frameback" kinda look it has....

I am so jealous... Seriously

That looks great, perfect fit, almost like it was made for it.

Yeah, I couldn't have made anything that would have worked this well

Dude....

You made art!.... I would so cherish that.. I love the "faux frameback" kinda look it has....

I am so jealous... Seriously

Thanks Paco. It shaves like almost like a wedge. I wish I could get a good picture of the grind. Do you have a surface grinder at work for sharpening tooling? That's what I did it on. Something like this, without the coolant. http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-18-Surface-Grinder/G3104

Robert Williams has a picture of something similar to what you might possibly have in mind.

http://customstraightrazors.com/wordpress/introducing-purist/

Thank you, I love the look of that, but worry too much about putting the blade in without it catching.

snip
Thanks Paco. It shaves like almost like a wedge. I wish I could get a good picture of the grind. Do you have a surface grinder at work for sharpening tooling? That's what I did it on. Something like this, without the coolant. http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-18-Surface-Grinder/G3104
snip
dood... if i had something awesome like that i would rule the earth!!! lol..

i use a regular ole crappy 8" bench grinder...... occasionally i use a 6" belt sander we have.....

i wish i had real tools like that..

dood... if i had something awesome like that i would rule the earth!!! lol..

i use a regular ole crappy 8" bench grinder...... occasionally i use a 6" belt sander we have.....

i wish i had real tools like that..

You can do smiling blades you're way. All I can do is straight lines. We have grinders like your's, but they all have tables/rests on them so no smiling blades. :nonod:

Do you use your own "makers mark" ?

No, I never thought of that. I just wanted to shave with something I made. That is the most satisfying part off all this. I would really love to see what you other guy's can do, I know you can do it.

I double dog dare ya....... :barbershop_quartet_ Just remember to post you're results.

Seriously considering it. Not sure what I would actually need to get started though. I would only want to make a fixed blade like what you made. Would a $50 grinder from harbor freight get the job done? Would I be better off with a bench belt sander? Don't wanna go too crazy spending cash on tools.

Seriously considering it. Not sure what I would actually need to get started though. I would only want to make a fixed blade like what you made. Would a $50 grinder from harbor freight get the job done? Would I be better off with a bench belt sander? Don't wanna go too crazy spending cash on tools.

That's what i use... Just a normal ole bench grinder....

For a few razor's, I would think so. You don't want anything to take off too much metal, then you run into heat problems. Plus the less you take off at a time the easier it is to stop at the right time.

I don't care if it goes slow. Probably better that way. I think I am going to have to give this a shot. Sounds like fun and it would be pretty damn cool to shave with something I made myself. Thanks for the inspiration with your awesome work!

Top Bottom