What's new

Pre-shave oil

I use Jasons Vitamin E oil as the base for my pre-shave oil. This product has a number of oils in it. To it I add different oils and have experimented with a number of different combinations. You can find my recipe in the wiki. You can use either castor oil or EVOO to make your oil thicker if that is what you want.

Just out of my own weird curiosity, what soap are you using? Wonder if we can narrow this down, would be interesting either way...

Right now I am using Mystic Water Lily of the Valley shaving soap. I believe it's got tallow. Whips up a wonderful lather. I have used this without pre-shave oil, and I find that my shaves are not as smooth compared to when I use pre-shave oil. Granted, this may be different for others, as I have really dry skin, so I seem to need a bit of oil to coat my face.

I doubt it's any superiority of my shave technique, I'm much newer at this than you, just 4 months.

If it's a technique thing for me​, it's probably my lathering technique. I have been working on that pretty hard lately.

For the longest time I had trouble getting a clean shave around my jaw lines. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I finally figured out which angle to use around the jaw lines to get a baby butt shave. I have a very defined jaw line, so proper technique is crucial for me. That being said, I feel like my technique is improving daily and just like you I've improved my lathering quite a bit.

Although, it doesn't hurt to use things like pre-shave oils which may help us achieve a smooth, irritation free shave.

I used Musgo Real pre shave oil for awhile, before that I used Total Shaving Solutions pre shave oil. When I still used my Mach 3 I could shave with the TSS oil without using anything else. The TSS helped clear up the redness and razor burn on my neck. I do not use either oil right now, ran out and just felt like trying other things for now.

I purchased an Art of Shaving pre-shave oil - but I don't feel a signification difference with or without it. It was a little pricey, but the little bottle is lasting me months.

I'm a fan of the preshave oil. I've only used art of shaving (they gave me a bunch of samples when I purchased a straight razor). Recently I picked up some Taylor of Bond Street Sandalwood oil and am enjoying that. Seems like it will last awhile, so though pricey I find it worth it.

Shave Secret works well for me. I also use Castle Forbes. Aside from working well for me, CF is water soluble which is nice.

Right now I am using Mystic Water Lily of the Valley shaving soap. I believe it's got tallow. Whips up a wonderful lather. I have used this without pre-shave oil, and I find that my shaves are not as smooth compared to when I use pre-shave oil. Granted, this may be different for others, as I have really dry skin, so I seem to need a bit of oil to coat my face.

Yeah tallow-based which I've been using as of recently, also been getting some razor burn, I wonder if I use oil with tallow and glycerin plain if that will help...will have to try it.

Yeah tallow-based which I've been using as of recently, also been getting some razor burn, I wonder if I use oil with tallow and glycerin plain if that will help...will have to try it.

I think trying out a sundry of products like preshave oil in conjunction with a tallow based or vegetable based soap is necessary to figure out what gives you the most comfortable shave. It just takes a bit of trial and error.

So, here's what I do. I pour grape seed oil into a dispenser and use that. Works great. I even use it post shave.

I use Shave Secret, AoS, Grape-seed and Almond oil. I really can't tell much difference between any of them to be honest. Once I'm out of AoS, I doubt I will be buying it again; I really can't justify the extra expense versus the others.

I use Shave Secret with every shave no cream at all. A bottle cost about 6 bucks and last for a looooong time.

Top Bottom