What's new

EvilZeg Shave Journal

Grats on the Brush Jim!

I have a 28mm 2 band finest that Rudy Vey made for me, and it is AWESOME! I love the big brushes, but also still reach for my smaller ones too.

Yeah do a few test lathers and you should be set with getting consistent results.

Had a good shave last night.

Wielded my Wade and Butcher
Lathered up with my Whipped Dog Black Badger with CO Bigelow

Went for a 2 pass shave, WTG and XTG. For a change of pace instead of going from ear to nose, I went from nose to ear. Everything went well, except for the little skin tab that I didn't know I had, that I no longer have to worry about.

Lathering with the new brush went a little bit better this time. At first I tried to bowl lather, but as I was whipping it up the brush "absorbed" the cream, I then swtiched to face lathering and that did the trick. I was able to work the brush better to produce the lather, the end result was a great cushioning and slick lather. I really am enjoying the larger brush.

Shaving XTG from nose to ear went well also, except for my skin tab removal, I didn't Van Gogh myself.

Have a great day.

Jim

Attachments

• $Photo Jun 07, 9 15 42 PM.jpg
    $Photo Jun 07, 9 15 42 PM.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 67
  • $Photo Jun 07, 9 16 01 PM.jpg
    $Photo Jun 07, 9 16 01 PM.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 67
  • $Photo Jun 07, 9 37 01 PM.jpg
    $Photo Jun 07, 9 37 01 PM.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 68
  • $Photo Jun 07, 9 37 42 PM.jpg
    $Photo Jun 07, 9 37 42 PM.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 68
Had an excellent shave today.

Wielded my Wade and Butcher wedge.
Lathered up some QCS Vostok with my whipped dog 30mm Black Badger.
Prep was a hot shower.

Did two passes WTG, XTG. I was left with a DFS. The wedge is working really well, and I'm really enjoying the larger brush. It builds a great lather and does not have a scritchy feeling to it.

I have a thread going in the Brushes forum giving my on going review of my new brush, here is my brush prep:

I soak my brush in my shave mug for the duration of my shower.

Today I loaded my brush with QCS Vostok for about 1:10, I only have a sample piece.
I then apply this to my whiskers, then add some water to my brush then continue building the lather on my face.
Add more water and repeat until the lather is fully built.

I usually keep my lathers on the thinner side, I really don't find a use for a super large mound of lather on my face.

Have a great night

Jim

Attachments

• $Photo Jun 10, 12 08 17 PM.jpg
    $Photo Jun 10, 12 08 17 PM.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 65
  • $Photo Jun 10, 12 09 14 PM.jpg
    $Photo Jun 10, 12 09 14 PM.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 63
  • $Photo Jun 10, 12 10 34 PM.jpg
    $Photo Jun 10, 12 10 34 PM.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 64
  • $Photo Jun 10, 12 10 42 PM.jpg
    $Photo Jun 10, 12 10 42 PM.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 63
  • $Photo Jun 10, 12 11 45 PM.jpg
    $Photo Jun 10, 12 11 45 PM.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 64
Had a great shave last night.

Wielded my Wade and Butcher Wedge
Lathered up QCS Vostok with my Whipped Dog brush
Prep was a hot shower

2 WTG passes. No irritation, nicks or weepers. I really am enjoying the Queen Charlotte's Soaps, I think I'm going to get some samples of their creams. I've read that the Vostok cream is even colder.

Have a great day.

Jim

Most shaves were good, but I would have a slight tugging sensation.
I think we all had that at first-newby dull blade syndrome.

going to try finishing with oil
makes me smile
4. Scything. Now that I'm getting more comfortable I'm using a slight Scything action which really helps in cutting through my whiskers
try holding the blade at an angle. I'll have to draw a picture to explain-I'll do that later.
Placed my order for some Queen Charlotte soap samples.
Great soaps

Good shave last night.

Lathered up QCS Vostok
Finished with Clinique ASB

Did a 2 pass WTG shave last night. No nicks or irritations, just a smooth relaxing shave. Love the cold feeling of Vostok.

Have a great day.

Jim

proxy.php

Pull withe razor is still straight, but holding it at an angle gives an automatic scything motion without the big worry of slicing something off.

Had a great shave last night.

Had one long busy day yesterday, started with the Easton Farmers Market which I highly recommend, running to lowes for mulch for my Mom, going with her and my SWMBO for a pre Father's Day lunch, getting home baking two cakes, and finally washing the vehicles as the sun set. So needless to say I was glad to finally be able to hit the shower and relax.

Wielded my buddy Ernst
Lathered up with QCS Vostok and my Whipped Dog brush.
Prep was a warm shower.
Finished with Clinique ASB
Post finish was Victory Brewery Storm King

Whipped up a great llather with my Whipped Dog brush, this is truly a great brush, great lather, great feel, only shedded a couple of hairs.

2 pass shave, WTG, XTG. Everything went well except for one small nick. Thanks for the tip Doc, it worked extremely well. Ended with a cold water rinse, Clinique ASB. And once everything was finished I got to hit the couch with a mug of Storm King. Life is good.

Have a great Father's Day.

Jim

Had a good quick shave last night.

Wielded my Merkur DE
Lathered up with C.O. Bigelow and my Whipped Dog Brush
Prep was a hot shower

I was tired last night so I opted for a quick shave with my DE, 2 pass WTG, ATG. No irritation, no nicks.

Have a great day.

Jim

Had an OK shave last night

Wielded my buddy Ernst
Lathered up with QCS Vostock and my E.J. Brush
Prep was a hot shower

2 passes, WTG XTG. Shave was OK, just couldn't get in the groove last night. Had some irriation on my neck, one little patch of whiskers was giving me an issue.

Have a great day.

Jim

Had an excellent shave tonight.

Lathered up with Bigelowe and my Whipped Dog Brush
Prep was a hot shower

Had a pretty dense 2 day growth, but it was no match for my W and B wedge. 2 passes, WTG and XTG. The first pass took a little longer due to the density of my whiskers but the 2nd one was a quick silent mowing. No nicks or irritation. Really enjoying the W and B Wedge.

Have a great night.

Jim

Had a good shave last night.

Was tired and needed to shave so I broke out my Merkur DE
Lathered up with QCS Basilica and my Whipped Dog Brush
Prep was a hot shower.

2 passes WTG, ATG. Slight irritation on my neck, finished with Clinique ASB.

Have a great day.

Jim

Had an OK shave last night.

Wielded my Merkur DE
Lathered up with C O Bigelow used my Whipped Dog Brush
Prep was a hot shower

Another crazy day, didn't get home until late so I just did a single pass WTG. It's been one heck of a week, can't wait for a nice relaxing shave with my straight.
Also, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is awesome.

Have a great day

Jim

Had a good shave tonight.

lathered up with QCS Basilica and my Whipped dog Brush
prep was a hot shower

2 pass shave WTG and XTG. No irritation or nicks. Finished up with Clinique ASB.

Placed an order for some samples of QCS shave creams, can't wait to get them. I've read that the Vostok cream is colder than the soap, can't wait to try it.

Have a great night.

Jim

Good shave last night.

Wielded my Merkur DE
Lathered up with C O Bigelow and my Whipped Dog brush
Prep was a hot shower

Had a long day yesterday so I needed a quick shave last night. 2 passes, WTG and ATG. No nicks or irritation. Can't wait for my new QCS shave creams to come in. Took my first shot at Home brewing yesterday, it will be interesting to see the results in a few weeks.

Have a good day.

Jim

Top Bottom