What's new

EvilZeg Shave Journal

Nice Jim! Congrats!

Try letting up on your pressure even more. Just barely touch the blade to your face. I bet what is left of the irritated spots will be no more.

Continued success to you my friend.

Jon

P.S. Love the Avatar!

Had a heck of a day today, found out I'm heading to Texas for a week right after Memorial Day, and of course the Reardon travel service's website was having tons of problems. Got new projects that are critical and the usual daily headaches. Then I had an appointment after work, so needless to say after starting at 4am I was thrilled to be home at 8:30pm. But on to better things.

My Queen Charlotte Soaps arrived!!! I got samples of Vostok, Hanami, Green Irish Tweed Type, Basilica, Vetiver, and a bar of Dragon's Blood body soap.

Cracked open my sample of Vostok.....I am in love!!! It's like they chipped off a piece of an iceberg. It smells cold, the menthol/mint scent is like a frigid winter breeze, brisk and refreshing. The soap lathers like a dream. Once you put it on prepare for a blizzard to hit your face. My face felt cold, but the lather was slick and protective.

I did my usual 2 WTG passes with my buddy Ernst, the shave was good but I think Ernst needs to go for a couple water laps on my La Grise.

Like I said earlier the shave was good, mentally and physically, the ritual of my shave definitely helps to calm my mind after a long stressful day. No irritation, finished up with Clinique AS balm. Half an hour later my face still feels cool.

Have a great night.

Jim

What part of Texas are they sending you to Jim? Sounds like a nice soap you used. I am a professed menthol junkie so I must try it!

Jon

Allen. I've been there a bunch of times. When I was first hired I spent about 6 months straight in Texas. Come to think of it between my time in Allen and in Europe in the little over 2 years I've been with my company over one year of it has been on the road.

Jim

Last edited:
Long day and I got in late so I broke out my Merkur for a quick shave. Typically I only do a single pass with my DE, but the Vostok is so addicting I did 2 passes. One WTG and one XTG for a DFS.

Have a great night.

Jim

Had a great shave tonight. After a hellacious long day yesterday I'm glad its the weekend and I had a heck of a shave tonight.

Started with my usual prep of a hot shower.

Lathered up with another Queen Charlotte Soap, Vetiver. Another excellent soap, the lather was great, and the smell was amazing. It had the scent of an old growth forrest, earthy, ancient, calming.

Wielded my buddy Ernst for a two pass shave, WTG and XTG.

In my last post I noted that I thought Ernst needed a touch up, well after tonights shave I believe the problem was OE (Operator Error).

I believe the tugging was caused by a too dry lather. Besides how it feels on my face I use what I call the "Razor Rinse" method of grading lather. I watch how easily the lather rinses from the blade to determine it's density. If under a slow stream of water the lather rinses easily and cleanly from the blade I deem it just right. If I need to run a strong stream of warm water, and as the lather is rinsing off it leave small globs which slowly disolve, it's too dense.

I didn't think of it at the time, but the lather was not easily rinsing off the razor the other night

Tonight I made a great lather and the shave went well, no irritation and after the XTG pass I was left with a DFS. Took my time, minded my skin stretching, grain pattern and kept the pressure feather light.

Finished with an ice cold rinse, and Clinique after shave balm.

On a side note one positive thing from the long hours this week was a couple extra bucks. I mentioned in a previous post that I wanted to try a wedge, well today I had a couple extra dollars and was able to find one on BST. It's in the mail and I can't wait to get it.

Have a great night.

Jim

Last edited:
Feeling beat tonight so I just had a quick shave with my Merkur.

Usual hot shower prep.

I lathered up with Queen Charlotte's Basilica soap. Another amazing scent. I am a huge fan of frankincense and myrrh, and this soap had an incredibly deep and rich smell. Highly recommend it, left my skin feeling great.

One quick tip. I got samples from QCS and I have found that using the sample as a shave stick works great.

Wielded my Merkur DE for two passes, WTG,and XTG. Ended with a very good shave with no irritation. Finished with Clinique aftershave balm.

Have a great night.

Jim

Had a decent shave tonight.

Started with usual hot shower prep, wielded my buddy Ernst.

Lathered up with Queen Charlotte's Hanami, another excellent soap. It has a great light citrusy scent, I have to say I am truly impressed with QCS.

Did two passes WTG, XTG, some slight irritation on my neck. Finished up with a ice cold rinse and some Clinique after shave balm.

Can't wait for my Wedge to arrive, and I ordered a couple more sleeves from Jarrod.

Have a great night.

Jim

Had a good shave tonight.

Wielded my buddy Ernst for 2 WTG passes tonight, was feeling a little tired but still wanted to get in a straight shave.

Lathered up with QCS Irish Tweed type soap. This soap has a great Citrusy floral smell and left my skin feeling great.

Took my time with the passes getting all the nooks and crannies. During the second pass my razor barely sang, I was left with a DFS, with one tiny nick. Second pass lather was a little dry, have to remember to add more water next time. I've noticed that keeping myself hydrated helps with the shave. On my previous entry I noted irriration on my neck, in general that day I barely drank any water, today I did a better job of keeping myself hydrated.

Finished up with Clinique ASB, might have to get some of the new vostok AFB from QCS.

Have a great night.

Jim

Had a great shave yesterday.

Wielded my freshly honed Wade and Butcher, lathered up with Vostok.

2 passes WTG, no irritation.

Finished up with a cold water rinse and Clinique ASB.

Have a great day.

Jim

Had a good shave yesterday.

Wielded my Wade and Butcher.
Lathered with Sir Irisch Moos
Prepped with a hot shower.

Yesterday began my weeklong adventure in Texas. Had a good shave with 2 WTG passes, the later was a little thick, have used SIM in a while. I'm very disappointed that it is discontinues. No irritation. Happy that my new Wedge razor arrived, unfortunately it is in PA and I am in TX.

Have a great day.

Jim

Had a great shave last night.

Prep was a hot shower
Wielded my Wade and Butcher, honed on my La Grise
Lathered up with Sir Irisch Moos
Finished with Clinique ASB

Did a two pass WTG shave last night and was left with a DFS. Got back to the hotel late from Bluefish and was debating even shaving, ending up giving in to the urge. Started with 10 laps on my Poormans strop. Got the water mix just right and the lather was awesome tonigth, slick and cushioning. No nicks, weepers or irritation. Ended with 15 laps on my Poormans.

Have a great day.

Jim

Had an excellent shave last night.

Prep was a hot shower.
Wielded my new Wade and Butcher Wedge.
Lathered up with QCS Basilica.

Had a DFS last night, 2 WTG passes. I bought my Wedge from DogHair on BST, it came with a hell of an edge on it. It's definitely a different feeling using a wedge, alot more drag than a full hollow which is especially evident when you strop.

The passes went well, no irritation or nicks. I had 2 days of growth so I still had plenty of audio feedback from the razor. I'll have to get a few more shaves in until I decide how I like using a wedge vs a full hollow.

Finished with a cold rinse and Clinique ASB.

Have a great day.

Jim

Attachments

• $Photo Jun 03, 8 38 43 PM.jpg
    $Photo Jun 03, 8 38 43 PM.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 32
Had a good quick shave last night.

Prep was a hot shower
Wielded my Merkur DE
Lathered up QCS Basilica with my new 30mm Pure Black Badger Whipped Dog brush.

Had a long day and was exhausted yesterday so I decided to bust out my Merkur for a quick WTG, ATG shave. Shave was DFS with one small nick at my jawline.

Larry had a post on Facebook and the first three responders whould receive a brush, luckily I was one of them, he is truly a Gentleman and a Scholar.

Larry included a packet of Oxi Clean with the brush and I followed his directions to soak the brush for 2-3 minutes, rinse, repeat 4 times, then shampoo the brush and rinse.

The brush still had a pretty strong badger smell to it, but I'm sure it will mellow with time. This brush is a monster, the previous workhorse brushes were a no name synthetic that fell apart and a small I believe silver tip badger with a SS handle. I'll post pictures comparing the two later. My lather was off because I wasn't used to how much water this beast can hold, so after shaking out the brush a couple of extra times and adding more soap I managed a decent lather. I will mess around with a couple more test lathers tonight.

Have a great day.

Jim

Top Bottom