What's new

Bath Soap Suggestions

To the OP- based on your tastes you should check out Speick. i got a sample from oneof the vendors with my shaving creams and it has a very masculine woodsy scent. Personally, I've been using Dr. Bronner's peppermint wash. Very strong mint smell when you wash that wakes you up but dissipates quickly.

Geez, you guys are making me feel like a barbarian. I use Safeguard! It's cheap, a longstanding brand, and smells great. It's the Clubman of shower soaps for me.

Last edited:
I love Every Man Jack cedarwood. It has a great scent and doesn't dry out my skin. I also like their signature mint smell. It is rather refreshing. If you want to order some up, I have a discount code!

Geez, you guys are making me feel like a barbarian. I use Safeguard! It's cheap, a longstanding brand, and smells great. It's the Clubman of shower soaps for me.
You are a barbarian.

If you tried one of QCS's soaps, or one of Mystic Waters soaps, or a bar of Hugo Naturals soaps you would never, ever use Safeguard again.

Oh, and a poof (or loofah) is to a shower soap what a shaving brush is to a shaving soap. Use one like a brush. Load the poof for about the count of ten, then agitate it against your other hand, adding a few drops of water once or twice. You'll end up with an amazing lather. Your showers will be transformed forever.

I buy almond and/or almond/oatmeal traditional French Milled soaps at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

Pre de Provence is nice, too. Just stock up when any of 'em are on sale.

You are a barbarian.

If you tried one of QCS's soaps, or one of Mystic Waters soaps, or a bar of Hugo Naturals soaps you would never, ever use Safeguard again.

Oh, and a poof (or loofah) is to a shower soap what a shaving brush is to a shaving soap. Use one like a brush. Load the poof for about the count of ten, then agitate it against your other hand, adding a few drops of water once or twice. You'll end up with an amazing lather. Your showers will be transformed forever.

I also feel a bit "less clean" having used shower gels that don't leave my skin feeling as "cleaned" as some of the shave soaps do (yeah I took the shave soaps I didn't like the lather of and put them in the shower). I did remember as a kid when I used a bar of soap I believe I used a washcloth and never had a "poof" or loofah. I was surprised to see how much better it was than a washcloth or just using it plain even.

You guys are going to scoff at this, but I won't use anything else:

proxy.php

Yes it's a bar with a bunch of chemicals
Yes it's got a synthetic scent

However it's the only soap I can use for my face and body which won't dry it out. It sits in the shower next to a bottle of shampoo and makes for quick showers. No shower poufs to wet/rinse out.

.........and makes for quick showers. ........
You say that like it's a POSITIVE thing.

That's the way I used to feel about shaving until I found B&B. Well, once I slowed down and enjoyed my shave, I also decided to slow down and enjoy my shower. A long, luxurious shower is also "me time," just like shaving. I don't do "quick showers" unless there is no other choice. I LOVE my shower. Now that I use quality soaps and a pouf, my showers feel good and smell good. I am in no hurry whatsoever.

This type of shower, followed by an old-fashioned traditional wet shave, makes a great start to each and every day for me. Suit yourself, but I think you're missing out on one of life's great pleasures.

I have extremely sensitive skin. Dermatologist recommends me to use Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser and soap. I was getting good results too. My skin is so sensitive that i used regular bar soap for my whole face.

I ordered one of every soap Martin De Candre makes and they are all excellent. The best soaps I have ever tried.

I usually rotate between the following:
1. Mysore sandalwood soap
2. Trader Joe's lavender (French triple milled)
3. Nubian Heritage Indian hemp and Haitian vetiver

Also, every now and then I pick up something interesting from TJ Max. They usually have some sort of triple milled soap from Europe or the US at a discounted price.

I agree with Daiku. This thread makes me feel like a barbarian as well. I use Cetaphil for my face and regular old unscented Dove as a body soap. Now I'm starting to look at artisanal soaps not just for shaving soaps. This forum is awful for AD.

How much is the Mysore Sandal soap in stores? Amazon has it for $17/12-pack.

Caswell Massey makes great bath soaps. Jockey Club, Number Six, and Sandalwood my favorites.\
DR Harris Arlington is a great one too.
Musgo Real makes a fine bath soap. I'm using that right now. Well not RIGHT now, but when I shower later, it will be with that.

I'm liking Giovanni bar soaps a lot lately. I had tried their Bamboo Birch in the Winter and was impressed. Now I got a couple bars of their Tea Tree Triple Treat.

Another one I've been enjoying very much is Out of Africa's Green Clay orgainic shea butter bar soap. Excellent scent, and it's been really good for my facial complexion.

You say that like it's a POSITIVE thing.

That's the way I used to feel about shaving until I found B&B. Well, once I slowed down and enjoyed my shave, I also decided to slow down and enjoy my shower. A long, luxurious shower is also "me time," just like shaving. I don't do "quick showers" unless there is no other choice. I LOVE my shower. Now that I use quality soaps and a pouf, my showers feel good and smell good. I am in no hurry whatsoever.

This type of shower, followed by an old-fashioned traditional wet shave, makes a great start to each and every day for me. Suit yourself, but I think you're missing out on one of life's great pleasures.

That's because you have better management of your time.

I guess I mean showers with less fuss. I used to have 4 bottles in the shower...face wash, shower gel, shampoo & conditioner. Getting the shower gel in and out of the pouf, opening the face wash after washing the pouf out, then shampooing & conditioning...that used to take forever. Now it's down to a puck of soap and shampoo. Now I have more time for my shaves.

Top Bottom