$DrSelbyvsWrisleySpruce-Pic2.jpg
$DrSelbyvsWrisleySpruce-Pic3.jpg
$DrSelbyvsWrisleySpruce-Pic4.jpg
$DrSelbyvsWrisleySpruce-Pic5.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm seeing some similarities! :detective:

I guess once upon a time some Wrisleys made it down to Uruguay.

I love my Dr Selby but I bet I would really love that Spruce!

I think a spruce scented soap of any kind would be tough to find these days...perhaps that is something for the small artisan makers to work on.

As for Dr. Selby, the scent is fine as long as you don't think "Lavender" while using it, because it doesn't smell like Lavender at all.

Dr. Selby smells like a nice version of Barbarsol in a can. I love the scent and it's a great performer. I'll use it tonight.

I picked up a new bowl of Wrisley Spruce, and am finding it to be a challenge to lather, very unlike the other vintage Wrisley I've used.

I picked up a new bowl of Wrisley Spruce, and am finding it to be a challenge to lather, very unlike the other vintage Wrisley I've used.
...........Have you tried floating a top layer of boiling water over the puck for about 5 minutes ? It may need an overnight hydration session,you really have a hard to find Wrisley,it should be enjoyable to use ...How has the scent held up over the decades ?

...........Have you tried floating a top layer of boiling water over the puck for about 5 minutes ? It may need an overnight hydration session,you really have a hard to find Wrisley,it should be enjoyable to use ...How has the scent held up over the decades ?

I've just used tap water, and I suspect you're right. The soap is really dense and dry, so it may benefit from an overnight soak in a bowl of water to rehydrate. Some of the scent remains, and it's pretty good.

Shall we say "Extremely synthetic" ?...........

I actually like the Dr. Selby scent. It's reminiscent of something sold in a can in the 1980's but can't place my finger on it.

The performance of Dr. Selby is not what I'm impressed with so far. Though it seems to be a glycerin loaded soap I find it gummy after a pass no matter how much I hydrate it. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? But I don't find this problem with any of the English triple milled soaps, even those of yore which perform beautifully if hydrated enough.

Chris

Unfortunately, my vintage Wrisley puck smells of cigarettes and mothballs...likely the result of being stored in the back corner of a grungy bathroom cabinet for 50 odd years.

Still a lather Bomb tho...just have to use smelling salts to get through the shave LOL

I have 2 new bowls of Wrisley Saddle Club, and really hope that they don't smell like the underside of a saddle.

Here is a bowl of some very very old Wrisley lavender soap. It still has soap in the bowl. Unfortunately it will never be used again.
$uploadfromtaptalk1402514180905.jpg

Top Bottom