Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gillette slim jammed or broken?

Images

I'd go with scrubbing bubbles first, and see how that does. I did use WD40 once, but there was visible rust (from a blade left in the razor). If it looks rust free, I'd probably avoid the wd40 unless you can't get it to work otherwise. Less is always best with this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jd1585 View Post
    I will keep at it. I think it is going to take awhile. Scrubbing bubbles or WD40 or both? I appreciate the help and will keep you posted. Since its my grandfathers my ultimate goal is replating.
    James - 2011 R41 w/Weber Handle, Feather, Arko (face lather), TGN Super Silvertip brush, Gillette Sun-Up AS
    BOTOC - LOSER - ARKO - TOFLAC-U - GNU - B.E.A.S.T

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jamesspo View Post
    I'd go with scrubbing bubbles first, and see how that does. I did use WD40 once, but there was visible rust (from a blade left in the razor). If it looks rust free, I'd probably avoid the wd40 unless you can't get it to work otherwise. Less is always best with this kind of thing.
    I'm not saying I disagree, BUT I don't know what the long-term effects of scrubbing bubbles might be on the plating... I *do* however, know that with the PB Blaster I used on my dad's tech, several WEEKS of continuous contact did NOT harm the finish at all... I think the penetrating power of WD40 is far less than the PB Blaster product, so I'd guess it would also be perfectly safe for the existing finish.

Has anyone "submerged" a razor for an extended period of time in scrubbing bubbles, if so, what were the effects on the finish?
    Brian - I think it would be totally inappropriate for me to even contemplate what I am thinking about.

I have to admit I had an impulse man purchase on the bay and ended up with this. 1. It is awesome for only 20 bucks. 2. I now know for sure my grandfathers slim is locked up. I can easily see the adjuster plate move on the fatboy. The slims plate seems like it is almost glued down. I guess I have some work to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0310.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	237390

Looks pretty good for a 20 buck Fatboy!

Having a similar razor to your heirloom slim will help you dial it in when you free up the adjustor because you'll have something to compare it to.

Finally after days of wd40 and scrubbing bubbles we are in business. The adjuster plate is moving but not smoothly yet. Thanks again for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by jd1585 View Post
    Finally after days of wd40 and scrubbing bubbles we are in business. The adjuster plate is moving but not smoothly yet. Thanks again for all the help.
    Very cool. I had no success with WD-40 so I tried PB-Blaster like bkfist suggested. Only took me one evening to get it to working. Still not quite as freely-moving as my other adjustables but loose enough to adjust properly.

Thank you!

Images

If you haven't already tap the bottom and top part of the adjustment plate: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...ism?highlight=
    [URL="http://www.kronakruiserrazors.com"]www.kronakruiserrazors.com[/URL]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by thatsilverguy View Post
    Very cool. I had no success with WD-40 so I tried PB-Blaster like bkfist suggested. Only took me one evening to get it to working. Still not quite as freely-moving as my other adjustables but loose enough to adjust properly.

Thank you!
    Glad it worked for you. Typically I stay far away from a product when it says "as seen on TV", but the guy at the auto parts store highly recommended it, and it was actually cheaper than a couple of other penetrating oils he had in stock. About he only other product I can remember that was "as seen on TV" that actually worked like advertised was the old Flowbee hair cutter. :) Lasted me around 12-15 years until a friend borrowed it to cut the hair on her 3 boys... She cut it wet, and the blades had rusted by the time she brought it back to me a week later. I'm sure there were others, but nothing I can think of at the moment. Definitely more junk than decent stuff with that label on it.
    Brian - I think it would be totally inappropriate for me to even contemplate what I am thinking about.