What's new

Semogue 1800 vs. Semogue Owners Club (SOC)

I have been asked how the Semogue 1800 and Semogue Owners Club compare to each other, and since I didn't knew I had to find out.

Comparison here we go:

I soaked the brushes while showering and then lathered up with Nivea for Men Shaving Cream.

First pass: Applying the lather I could to my surprise feel a different in the prickliness of the brushes, the SOC was definitely more prickly than the 1800. The SOC splayed more as well and that was also what I had anticipated as I have always thought the SOC to be a larger brush than the "standard" Semogue's with this handle design. But looking at the data, the loft height is closer that I thought and I can't say that the splay is because of the loft, I think it is more a question of the combination of hair quality and how the hairs are assembled in the knot.

Second pass: For this pass I used painting motions and the SOC still splay more thus covering a larger area, and it was also still noticeable more prickly; another surprise. I would not have thought beforehand that I could feel a difference using those motions, and it must be because there are more shorter hairs in the SOC, otherwise I can't explain it.

Third pass: Nothing new; a light prickly, splaying SOC versus a soft firm 1800.

Fourth pass: As above. The splaying is visual when the brushes are put on the base to stand; the SOC is more open the hairs doesn't "go back" to their initial position whereas the 1800 looks pretty much like when it was dry.

Data
SOC
Hair typeA mix of Extra 75%
and Premium 90% tops
Special grade boar
HandleWood, natural, beechWood, natural, cherry (or ash)
Weight [gram]53.460.5
Knot diameter [mm]21.424.2
Loft Height [mm]54.756.5
Total height [mm]112.0117.0

Result
I really thought the SOC would have softer tips than the 1800 because of the Special grade hair, but once again the Semogue 1800 has given me a positive surprise and judged only by the feel of the hair it is the winner, although I must say I like the size of the SOC handle better.
Now, if just Semogue would make a SOC sized brush with a 1800 undyed knot in a cherry handle I think I would have found my favourite boar brush - please Santa :innocent:

proxy.php

That is absolutely phenomenal! I would have thought that the SOC had softer tips. I look forward to my semogues in the mail right now!

What is the age/number of uses for each brush?

This is disappointing, I love the handle on my SOC 2-bad and have been considering the boar. However, I hate splay.

That is absolutely phenomenal! I would have thought that the SOC had softer tips. I look forward to my semogues in the mail right now!

I also thought the SOC where softer, but there you go :001_smile

What is the age/number of uses for each brush?

This is disappointing, I love the handle on my SOC 2-bad and have been considering the boar. However, I hate splay.

I don't keep track of shaves with my brushes, but the SOC has definitely seen more action than the 1800, I've had it longer and it is one of my favourite boar brushes.
As to the splay, it is a personal preference, but I don't think it is a big issue given the larger size of the knot, it doesn't splay near as much as the Semogue 2000.

A really good comparison, Soeren!
The 1800 is one of the best boar brushes for me, specially for using soaps and bowl-lathering, but it seems like it is an underdog in these forums.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Great thread, Soren! The Semogue SOC and 1800 are my two favourite boar brushes, with the SOC having a slight edge because of its denser and larger knot.

Ever since I got my 1800, I wish the knot was in a SOC handle. That would be an amazing shaving brush!

Nice review.

I'm surprised that you found the 1800 to be softer than the SOC.

I passed my 1800 on as I found that I much preferred the feel of the SOC on my face.

I guess that it is a classic case of YMMV.

Nice review.

I'm surprised that you found the 1800 to be softer than the SOC.

I passed my 1800 on as I found that I much preferred the feel of the SOC on my face.

I guess that it is a classic case of YMMV.

I was quite surprised myself, I have been saying that the SOC has some very nice soft tips, but when comparing those two brushes this was the result.
I still love my SOC though, but I'm definitely going to give the 1800 some more "air-time" :001_smile

I love my 1800 so much, but like the 1305 colors that I had Rudy Vey make me the custom "1300". The Semogue that never was- resin 1305 handle with an 1800 knot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my 1800 so much, but like the 1305 colors that I had Rudy Vey make me the custom "1300". The Semogue that never was- resin 1305 handle with an 1800 knot.

i saw that one on the RV thread. it's the nicest RV i have seen.

very very nice.

Top Bottom