What's new

Storing blades...

OK so my friend keeps his razor blades in the packs (some are plastic wrapped, some not, it's a large variety of them) and in his bathroom in the cabinet. I am thinking this will cause steam and possibly rust, but then some of these are coated and I think I'd leave at least a cartridge or two (just in case I needed to swap) in my bathroom and never noticed any rust on the blades. But then again those were stored for much less time.

Do you guys think razor blades in the bathroom = rust or is that me just being a worry wart? I guess I was contemplating putting them in a ziplock bag to avoid moisture (jeez I overthink things) but I am curious what everyone else does too.

Short term probably OK, long term no. I keep all of mine in a tupperware box inside TTS silicon sleeves. The one I am using in the bathroom also in a silicon sleeve, never had a problem.

Most modern blades are stainless with a coating so should not have any issues. They WILL rust but you would have to submerge them in a salt bath for several days/weeks to get through the coating on most blades.

There are some un-coated stainless blades which might develop spots given a few months of exposure to super high humidity such as in a steam cabinet. Now if you are using high carbon blue blades, you may want to think up a protective storage system even if stored in another part of your house if you live in the south where the humidity is high.

You are in L.A. which has a Mediterranean climate so should never have any rust/stain/spotting issues on blades

I keep the blades that are in use on the counter on wrappers marked 1 though 6 for the number of shaves on each blade. There can be any number of different brands open at any given time.

I keep a small selection of around 100 blades in a drawer in my bathroom. The shower and toilet are in a separate room from the sink and whirlpool so not a lot of moisture in the "shave area".

My "bulk storage" area is my office which is not moist at all.

Never had any problem with blade discoloration.

If your bathroom tends to be moist, you may want to keep just a few blades in there and store any bulk in another room

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Most modern blades are stainless with a coating so should not have any issues. They WILL rust but you would have to submerge them in a salt bath for several days/weeks to get through the coating on most blades.

There are some un-coated stainless blades which might develop spots given a few months of exposure to super high humidity such as in a steam cabinet. Now if you are using high carbon blue blades, you may want to think up a protective storage system even if stored in another part of your house if you live in the south where the humidity is high.

You are in L.A. which has a Mediterranean climate so should never have any rust/stain/spotting issues on blades

I keep the blades that are in use on the counter on wrappers marked 1 though 6 for the number of shaves on each blade. There can be any number of different brands open at any given time.

I keep a small selection of around 100 blades in a drawer in my bathroom. The shower and toilet are in a separate room from the sink and whirlpool so not a lot of moisture in the "shave area".

My "bulk storage" area is my office which is not moist at all.

Never had any problem with blade discoloration.

If your bathroom tends to be moist, you may want to keep just a few blades in there and store any bulk in another room

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I remember that picture of them on the paper! Good to know they don't rust!! I do think the next 2-3 blades in the bathroom stored is fine, but when I think about it, 100 blades or so will last at least 300 days or so and that's a pretty long time to be exposed to humidity. You are right, outside the bathroom I have no worries because it's LA, but I guess I may stick to what I'm doing and leave most outside the bathroom, possibly put a pack or two in there, especially since your completely unwrapped blades sitting on the tiles seem to be doing fine :)

Thanks for that info, I can't think of a better test than leaving razors out on the tile and looking for discoloration :detective:

HOLD ON - this is the straight section isn't it lol?? Most straights aren't Inox and this test wouldn't be of any use for us straight guys lol!!

*EDIT* my straights don't stay in my den - heck I can't stop them from "spotting" in my bedroom nevermind my den lol. I am going to blue them all - that or start buying nothing but Inox lol.

Nice Den Turtle!! Good looking strop lol.

Last edited:
HOLD ON - this is the straight section isn't it lol?? Most straights aren't Inox and this test wouldn't be of any use for us straight guys lol!!

*EDIT* my straights don't stay in my den - heck I can't stop them from "spotting" in my bedroom nevermind my den lol. I am going to blue them all - that or start buying nothing but Inox lol.

I only keep 1 straight in my shave den and it is inside that box on top of the stand against the wall (next to the strops) and the blade is always covered in mineral oil. The "always in the shave den" straight is the 6/8 short Sheffield that you are so fond of and the straight I use more than any of the others. The rest are in a dehumidified AlembiCase which is my office.

So far I have not had any issues with spotting

Nice Den Turtle!! Good looking strop lol

If you look real hard you can see the 2 1/2" Illinois Russian leather under the 3" Tony Miller

I only keep 1 straight in my shave den and it is inside that box on top of the stand against the wall (next to the strops) and the blade is always covered in mineral oil. The "always in the shave den" straight is the 6/8 short Sheffield that you are so fond of and the straight I use more than any of the others. The rest are in a dehumidified AlembiCase which is my office.

So far I have not had any issues with spotting

If you look real hard you can see the 2 1/2" Illinois Russian leather under the 3" Tony Miller

I will have that blade one day lol... Miller... Dang that's two things I want lol! He's on back order again lol.

What's the best oil to put on the straight razors to protect them from rust silicon? I haven't worried about my DE blades in the bathroom most are wrapped well. It's the price of a nice straight rusting that worries me.

What's the best oil to put on the straight razors to protect them from rust silicon? I haven't worried about my DE blades in the bathroom most are wrapped well. It's the price of a nice straight rusting that worries me.

I've seen them use cosmoline for long-term storage of guns, it was a pain to get off the parts though! But I think it keeps the steel well.

There may be stuff that would be a lot easier on your straight though.

I've seen them use cosmoline for long-term storage of guns, it was a pain to get off the parts though! But I think it keeps the steel well. -> Yeah great stuff but be careful, I understand its a carcinogen.

There may be stuff that would be a lot easier on your straight though.

I use gun oil as I have it on hand - it works ok. I like the idea of a zip lock bag though. Going to give that a try myself.

I use gun oil as I have it on hand - it works ok. I like the idea of a zip lock bag though. Going to give that a try myself.

Thanks for the warning, I've cleaned out a stored SKS but that's it, never knew much about cosmoline, now I know putting it on a razor would definitely be a bad idea!

I keep my straights in a silicon sleeve from TSS, and then in a cigar box in my shaving cupboard that is in my room. So far it works like a charm (but only had them since 2months).

I keep my straights in a silicon sleeve from TSS, and then in a cigar box in my shaving cupboard that is in my room. So far it works like a charm (but only had them since 2months).

A silicon sleeve? Do they sell one for storing blades? I'm going to keep looking, I'm just curious now :)

I transfer them into Altoids tins and put them in a drawer in the bathroom.

After they're used or before? I guess if they're in the sleeves that's not biggie, I don't know how an altoids can does at keeping moisture out but I think a lot of those wrappers help and a lot of the blades are not so prone to rust as I thought they were.

Top Bottom