What's new

Scuttle - Dirty Bird or Schwarzweisskeramik

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
photo's of my Schwarzweisskeramik scuttle just received on e-mail from Ansgar before shipping.
$Scuttle #1.JPG$scuttle #2.jpg

It's a nice scuttle, no doubt. My DB 1.5 was about half that price, so I'm curious to find out what more this German scuttle offers than just a wide spout for such a price tag. Please send opinions when received, and good luck!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It's a nice scuttle, no doubt. My DB 1.5 was about half that price, so I'm curious to find out what more this German scuttle offers than just a wide spout for such a price tag. Please send opinions when received, and good luck!
will give opinions when received but as this is my 1st scuttle my not mean much.

The price when converting to NZ Dollar brings them closer together for me.
Did not get a price for shipping the DB but guessing at least $40USD due to weight. have paid this price for USA shipping before.
DB with webs $59USD + (guess shipping $40USD) is $99 USD converts to $120 NZ Dollars
the sc****** was 89Euro shipped converted on the day to $145NZD.

i've got a 1.5 dirty bird and love it, but i'm moving from minnesota to hawaii in 6 weeks so this probably isn't going to make it there with me. if you're interested in buying it from me, feel free to send a pm my way. i've only had it for 2 months, and had it made by julie brand new (spice color, webbed).

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
my Schwarzweisskeramik arrived on Monday. Just 1 week in the post from Germany to NZ and most important in one piece.
There was a few dimension I was interested in knowing but not avaliable on the website so I have measured if you guys want to know.
from their web site: Schwarzweisskeramik XL Dimensions (without handle, approx.): Height 10 cm (3.9 in.), diameter 15 cm (5.9 in.).
From there web site: DB 1.5 is Outside 6" wide x 3.75" high Bowl opening 4.5" wide x 2" deep

I measured the total with handle and depth of bowl
Sck' - handle to spout length: 25cm (9.48 in.)
Sch' - Internal depth of bowl: 5.5cm (2.16 in.) / DB at 2"
Sch' - Internal bowl opening 12cm (4.7 in. ) / DB 4.5" (assume the measurment DB gives is interanal)
Sch' - external width of bowl only 15cm (5.9 in.) / DB ?

so overall it is just a little bit bigger than a DB but very close indeed.
my selection was not based on size but is handy to know all the stats to get a overall idea of how it will fit your Den/needs/wants......

now for what I think of it in the short time I have had it. Well this is my first and most likely only scuttle so other than the poormans scuttle I rigged up to see if I liked warm lather before throwing money at this ,I have nothing to compair it to.
but for what it is worth here we go.
The handle: I do like the big handle and how it sits higher than the scuttle. helps get a good grip when filling up in the sink.
The spout: easy to fill with its size. did not find it great for dipping the brush in for more water instead I just used my fingers to slop a bit of water over the top. This may be because I have only ever used my fingers to add water to my lather more that the spout itself.
The bowl: I love the large bowl, nothing goes over the side. well yet anyway.
Heat retention: I do a 3 pass SR shave guess it takes me about 12-15 min but have not timed it. the lather was warm from start to finish.
Ease of use: bowl is easy to full and make a lather in. cleaning was no problem and the larger handle is a true asset when washing.

I am happy with my purchase and would not hesitate to recomend the scuttle and dealing with Ansgar at Schwarzweisskeramik.
don't think you could go wrong with either scuttle so price/style/size etc will be what makes your choice. at the end of the day it's to each their own

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Is there no scuttle maker in the AU area? Just curious.
There is one in Australia but with currency conversion plus shipping they still came to $110NZD. http://www.hgpotteryaustralia.com/hg-scuttles.php
looks like it only holds 200ml of water and the Schwarzweisskeramik holds 800ml so does not make my short list.
nothing here in New Zealand but guess I could go to a local potter and get one made just for me. now that would be nice, custom finish, maybe your name on it.......

Yes, custom, but w/o the experience these other companies already have. <shrug> I tried the same kind of thing locally, and no one would even try.

Top Bottom