What's new

Tabac bowl VS. Mitchell's Wool Fat bowl: Which is better and why?

I want to know if either of these bowls are good for lathering in and how big they are. Which of the two is better?

Right now I'm using a Pyrex container to store my soaps in but wouldn't mind using something that looks a bit more, well . . . professional and is more shaving oriented.

MWF. it's wider from what i remember. i had the tabac, traded to a B&B member, so can't put them side by side...but it was more like an OS mug size.

the pyrex work fine, i use them for samples, and if it was me, the only soap i'd put in a MWF container, would be MWF...same as the Tabac container.

The MWF bowl is smaller than either of the bowls I use for lathering. It's also expensive. However if you like a particular soap I think it's nice to have the matching bowl for it.

I have the Tabac bowl and as brucered says it is very close in size to the OS mug. Having said that the Tabac refill puck is 125g in size and pretty much fills the bowl leaving little room on the top to develop lather. I find that the Tabac bowl is good for loading the brush and then using another bowl to develop lather, or if you are a face latherer like me then I just load in the Tabac bowl and build a lather on my face.

The MWF bowl may indeed be the same diameter as a small lathering bowl but y' can't use it as such as it will of course, typicall be full of soap. Great for loading and a very attractive shaving icon for the cabinet ;-) but I'd want to build me lather off the soap itself.

Although these are attractive bowls, but their real function is to hold the soap not to act as lather bowls.

However, one can simply whittle/grate a puck of Tabac into the Tabac bowl, tamp it down and then have enough room in the Tabac bowl to build a lather on top of the puck..

In fact any hard soap can be whittled/grated. I like to use vintage Old Spice mugs to hold my soaps, they also have enough head room for lather.

I don't use either of them to mix the lather to the mixed state, I load it in the bowl it came in, then transfer to my scuttle :D

I don't use either of them to mix the lather to the mixed state, I load it in the bowl it came in, then transfer to my scuttle :D

same here. they are to apply the soap to the brush, that's it. you wouldn't want to make lather in either of them.

same here. they are to apply the soap to the brush, that's it. you wouldn't want to make lather in either of them.
the problem with lathering on top of your soap is that you will have a very difficult time hydrating your lather properly. you are trying to attain a certain soap to water ratio while also whipping the lather.

Tabac bowl VS. Mitchell's Wool Fat bowl: Which is better and why?
Neither. As stated above, they're for loading not lathering. In any case, better is always highly subjective. You can poll but that won't tell you which you'll find to be better. You'd need to try both to determine for yourself.

Top Bottom